Parents Region 8 regionals - breakdown?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In years past it had been just a few days before the first state meet. Usually on a tues/wed. Would that be this week or next week?

region 8 gymnastics usually posts it first. The coaches will get it first so sometimes the gyms will announce it before Region 8. I just looked on My Meet Scores and it looks like Georgia's L6 is going this weekend (unless it's changed due to covid) so it might get released this week.

Wow....those are some LOW numbers! I just looked at mymeetscores and in 2019, NC had 105 girls qualify for level 7 and for 2021, it says only 56 will go. I wonder if the number of level 7 girls is really that much lower this year or if they are trying to keep regionals small for safety reasons.

there may be some gyms that have chosen to either 1) not have any season at all due to interrupted training 2) chosen to not attend Regionals for the same reason or 3) chosen to not attend Regionals bc they are afraid of the virus [I know of at least 1 gym that the coach is super paranoid about the virus and has refused to go to any meets at all this entire year....so the kids there do not get to go. don't flame me with whatever your opinions are on that....doesn't matter whether you or I agree with it, it's about whatever is in the heads of those owners/coaches]

So my kid had a rough wobble on beam at States this morning and her coach and ended missing qualifying for regionals by .075. Bummer because other than that, it was the prettiest most solid routine I've ever seen her do (she is not a beam fan).

A coach told her that sometimes if not everyone who qualifies registers (because of travel, cost, etc) that she might still get in. We are region 8 - is there any truth to that and if so, how would she know if she makes it? She figured out that she missed it simply by counting up the scores higher than hers.

yes, there are times when one or more girls don't sign up. I think the deadline is monday night? Once everyone is signed up, though, I don't think they add people if others drop out. Is she one position out of qualifying?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some gyms didn't want to travel to Florida for regionals. But I do think they would know right away. I am sure the gym will send something out after the end of the meet with the list of people that qualified.

That's hard to miss by so little, but it sounds like she did great! I hope it works out!

yes, there are times when one or more girls don't sign up. I think the deadline is monday night? Once everyone is signed up, though, I don't think they add people if others drop out. Is she one position out of qualifying?
Thank you! No, she is several places out of qualifying. Maybe like 5-6 places.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some gyms didn't want to travel to Florida for regionals. But I do think they would know right away. I am sure the gym will send something out after the end of the meet with the list of people that qualified.

That's hard to miss by so little, but it sounds like she did great! I hope it works out!
She was so sad but handled it well. 6/7/8 is actually in Alabama.

Thank you! No, she is several places out of qualifying. Maybe like 5-6 places.
It is unlikely with that many spots out so prep her but you never know. In this Covid year, there may be a lot of gyms who won't travel. With NC being virtual for state meet, there may be gyms who participated in state meet but where their coaches will refuse to fly to AL.

out of curiosity, was was the cut off score? Wondering if it was similar or lower due to Covid.

I think the cut off was around 36.225.
My daughter competed Saturday and after multiple injuries and mental blocks (beam especially), did great and qualified with a 36.550.
I messed up though because they competed beam last and guess I was so nervous, thought I recorded her beam but didnt! Eek! I've searched high and low and sadly no recordings to be found.
I hope your daughter is able to go!

@L7mom Congrats to your DD!! And good luck to her at regionals!

Unfortunately, the cutoff for my kid's level in our state was 36.975 and she scored a 36.9, so just missed it. Her coach told her that even though 4 kids decided not to go to regionals, they did not change the cutoff because with all of the ties, there were still enough gymnasts to compete. Oh well! She has recovered and now actually seems somewhat relieved!

I think the cut off was around 36.225.
My daughter competed Saturday and after multiple injuries and mental blocks (beam especially), did great and qualified with a 36.550.
I messed up though because they competed beam last and guess I was so nervous, thought I recorded her beam but didnt! Eek! I've searched high and low and sadly no recordings to be found.
I hope your daughter is able to go!
Congrats to your dd!

@L7mom Congrats to your DD!! And good luck to her at regionals!

Unfortunately, the cutoff for my kid's level in our state was 36.975 and she scored a 36.9, so just missed it. Her coach told her that even though 4 kids decided not to go to regionals, they did not change the cutoff because with all of the ties, there were still enough gymnasts to compete. Oh well! She has recovered and now actually seems somewhat relieved!
awww, that stinks. I did notice a lot of ties on the score list. Glad she has shaken it off. L8 regionals is a bit easier to get to into so hopefully next year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back