WAG Regional/National level 10 age groups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Some regions are still a 34 to qualify TO regionals. However, the minimum score for qualifying to Nationals/Easterns/Westerns is now a 35.000 despite your placement. Meaning you could place 4th AA in region 2 with a 34.500 and not qualify.
This is the 35 Q score I was referencing.

Reactions: sce
Region 1 just released the numbers for level 10s.

Jr D with 16
Sr D with 37!

Need better way!
Yep... It's long been suggested that each region pies its own division and then sends that group to nationals . I mean who cares if you compete against someone who is a year difference rather than a half year so long as the odds are the same to get there. But that is just a way simple remedy.... typical USAG . Region one will be leaving a dozen really good athletes at home in that division.

Region one will be leaving a dozen really good athletes at home in that division.

Same horse, different day.

Re: Q score, I was thinking Regionals when I mentioned 34. In our Region, you need 34 to go to Nationals, but from Nationals, you need a 36 to be invited to Regional Camp which is still in September... this was changed to accommodate the extra age groups... but doesn't apply to DD since graduating seniors will be in college and won't be attending camp.

Yep... It's long been suggested that each region pies its own division and then sends that group to nationals . I mean who cares if you compete against someone who is a year difference rather than a half year so long as the odds are the same to get there. But that is just a way simple remedy.... typical USAG . Region one will be leaving a dozen really good athletes at home in that division.
That Senior D age group is a tough one, that's the older high school juniors. Thinking around 10 gymnasts in that age group who have already signed with D1 schools.

Reactions: sce
ALL regions require a 35 to go to nationals....

LEVEL 10 JO NATIONALS
Effective August 1, 2016
• The minimum qualifying score will be a 35.00 All-Around, achieved at Regional Championships.
• If any region is unable to field a team of seven gymnasts per age division, the open slots will be allocated to the regions
based on a percentage of eligible athletes in each region, in each age division.
• Regional teams consisting of individual athletes from other regions will be eligible for Regional Team Awards.

LMAO I was just going to post the same thing. The system is what it is....
Same horse, different day.

Re: Q score, I was thinking Regionals when I mentioned 34. In our Region, you need 34 to go to Nationals, but from Nationals, you need a 36 to be invited to Regional Camp which is still in September... this was changed to accommodate the extra age groups... but doesn't apply to DD since graduating seniors will be in college and won't be attending camp.

My daughter is hurt but would have 30 in her group. Based on prior years, I'd say that 75% of this group have repeatedly scored over 37AA. It stinks sometimes but better if they have a large age group, but feels that much more of an accomplishment to the girls when and if they make it! No matter how they do the breakdown, we can always find something that seems unfair especially for those of us in larger regions.

Absolutely, everything in gymnastics(and life for that matter) will never be fair. But for a gymnast that has 37 kids in her age group, knows she has to have the meet of her life, does just that and rocks a high 37 all-around and doesn't get to to to Nationals, while a kid in another region has 7 kids in the same age group and gets to go with a 35...I think it's ok for that kid to feel a little frustrated. And it's Ok for the parent or coach of that gymnast to want to vent here. This site is a good place for that kind of venting.

To me, the issue isn’t the age groups... the issue is the imbalance of numbers between regions. Someone more math oriented than I could look up the total number of 10s in each region and compare those numbers... for example, if region 1 took all of their 10s and split them evenly into age groups and then region 2 did the same and region 3 the same, etc... each jr a group still would be the same size. It’s not the dates on a calendar causing the inequalities it is the boundaries on the map and just general geography.

If my daughter wasn't hurt she would have 26 in her age group. The largest in our region is 33 I think and the lowest is 16.

.I think it's ok for that kid to feel a little frustrated. And it's Ok for the parent or coach of that gymnast to want to vent here. This site is a good place for that kind of venting.

Sure it's ok to feel frustrated and vent. Lord knows I do both constantly!!! I guess it's just hard because there are discrepancies in regions and some of that has to do with the number of gymnasts and gyms and the ability to train to a higher level. It's been discussed every year. Maybe the girls from R2 would be pretty devastated because they had the meet of their life, scored a 35 or 36 and didn't get to go...but they only have 1 or 2 gyms in their state, lacking equipment and ability to attract coaches with experience, etc. And it was a crazy accomplishment to get that far! I can see both sides of it.

We live in a super strong region, so even if you cut my DD's age group in half to 15, she would still have her work cut out for her.

To me, the issue isn’t the age groups... the issue is the imbalance of numbers between regions. Someone more math oriented than I could look up the total number of 10s in each region and compare those numbers... for example, if region 1 took all of their 10s and split them evenly into age groups and then region 2 did the same and region 3 the same, etc... each jr a group still would be the same size. It’s not the dates on a calendar causing the inequalities it is the boundaries on the map and just general geography.

I agree with this approach, too. It used to be this way and then it changed abotut 5 years ago - not sure why...

I think they changed it because it caused a headache and logistical nightmare trying to set age groups and make travel arrangements in the short amount of time between Regionals and Nationals. Before the change, they couldn't set age groups for nationals until they knew exactly who qualified from regionals, so everyone was waiting to see who qualified, and then waiting to see the age breakdowns, and THEN making travel plans with only two weeks to spare. Some of the regions like ours travel together, and this has made planning much easier. I could be wrong that this was the reasoning...but that was the effect.

I'm still confused why the regional distributions aren't more "equitable". why doesn't NorCal defect to region 2? gyms do enough travel meets/invitationals to compete against various top teams etc - why is there a need/desire to stay in a strong region?

secondly, why not do like the elites and Nastia Cup and just divide the field into Jrs and Srs and let qualifications be based on <16 y.o for Jr and > 16 year old for Seniors.. who cares A/B/C/D/E/F

It was interesting for me to read on here how there are differences in requirements to qualify for states/regionals. In our area and my kid's gym, qualifying to states and regionals is expected and as such, does not seem to be considered much of an accomplishment per se (doing well at states and regionals is.) Qualifying to nationals is considered to be a big deal and I'm now understanding why.

I'm curious, for those who "only" need to get a 35 and place in the top 2/3 of their age group to get to nationals, wouldn't that take something away from that feeling of accomplishment? It kind of reminds me of something my kiddo says: that it's not fun to get first place when the reason you got it is because someone else fell.

I'm sure those kids have many other accomplishments, and perhaps doing well at nationals would be the accomplishment, but I can't help but wonder because yes the discrepancy does seem totally unfair (even by gymnastics standards.) I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems that making it to nationals is the pinnacle for many in this sport and in a way, those athletes for whom qualifying is a lot easier are the ones being treated unfairly because let's face it, the harder something is to achieve, the better it feels to achieve it. Those in the tougher regions and age groups who make it will hopefully feel REALLY proud of what they have achieved!

Our girls are late to the game for L10, either late bloomers or due to injuries. At this age group, they are competing with many kids who are 3rd to 4th year level 10s. A good number of them committed to college teams. Even though they will likely make the qualifying score, they won't make it high enough to be top 7.

it's very true... and i think the colleges know this as well when a kid qualifies (or fails to qualify) out of Texas or California versus a kid who qualifies out of a regional which is much less competitive..

in the end, i guess if you expect to be competing at the next level against the best competition (college), you need to beat the best, to be the best

It was interesting for me to read on here how there are differences in requirements to qualify for states/regionals. In our area and my kid's gym, qualifying to states and regionals is expected and as such, does not seem to be considered much of an accomplishment per se (doing well at states and regionals is.) Qualifying to nationals is considered to be a big deal and I'm now understanding why.

I'm curious, for those who "only" need to get a 35 and place in the top 2/3 of their age group to get to nationals, wouldn't that take something away from that feeling of accomplishment? It kind of reminds me of something my kiddo says: that it's not fun to get first place when the reason you got it is because someone else fell.

I'm sure those kids have many other accomplishments, and perhaps doing well at nationals would be the accomplishment, but I can't help but wonder because yes the discrepancy does seem totally unfair (even by gymnastics standards.) I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems that making it to nationals is the pinnacle for many in this sport and in a way, those athletes for whom qualifying is a lot easier are the ones being treated unfairly because let's face it, the harder something is to achieve, the better it feels to achieve it. Those in the tougher regions and age groups who make it will hopefully feel REALLY proud of what they have achieved!

So does this seem fair to you?

I don't think that this is a "fair" question to flippinlilysmom...she lives where she lives, in a region where the age groups aren't big and there's not as much competition in your region maybe but that doesn't mean that how her daughter may qualify to JOs is not fair. She's playing by the rules as they are via USAG so she's not doing anything wrong. If you , or any of the gymnasts in larger regions wanted to move to a smaller region,, you are free to do so but shaming someone because of their region size is not ok.

One year a gymnast from a bigger region moved into our region for 3 meets...a qualifier, states and regionals ....and she went to JOs from our region, because she played by the rules as written. She ended up moving back to her home state right after JOs so evidently that was the goal.

This comes up every single year and I really wish those of you in bigger regions who feel the need to shame the gymnasts/families/gyms qualifying out of their own regions would please stop. Girls in these smaller regions work hard and have dreams of making JOs too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back