Parents Registration for regionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justkeepswimming

Proud Parent
As a parent, with a first year gymnast competing, I am not sure how this all works. Here is the scenario.

My daughter competed at state, and during awards wasn't called up for floor (and subsequently all around.) I said something and they realized scores were closed prior to her floor being entered. This was corrected and she placed 3rd on floor and 2nd AA.

The gym we were at (gym A) took payment and registered qualifying girls for regionals the following Monday (including my daughter.) The next week, we switched gyms (to gym B) - the director of gym B was able to change her USA gymnastics number to be associated with new gym, however cannot find her registered for regionals.

I contacted gym A who said they did register her last Monday, and sent an email this week on Wednesday stating she is not with the gym A anymore, and needs removed from their roster, and they were unaware if she was competing with another gym or not.

Can this be corrected? I can't do anything except wait, and wish I understood more on how the how process works. Any info? Did the original scores from state go in not showing her as qualified, or change of gyms cause her to be removed all together?

It will depend on a couple of things -- is registration closed already? If Gym A registered you and took your money, they should either refund it or transfer it to your new gym. If Gym A did in fact tell the Regionals committee that you weren't competing with them, there should be a record ornher canceled registration somewhere.

Transferring her over to compete with new gym could be achieved with just a little paperwork if they have record of the prior registration and your payment.

In the defense of Gym A, when a kid quits our program, we email the meet director(s) for any remaining meets and scratch that athlete. Sometimes, it is far enough in advance to receive a refund, which is then given back to the parents.

Many times, the refund deadline for scratches has passed and we don't get their entry fee back, which means that the parents won't get it back. Gym A did not do anything wrong in this particular situation, based on the information we have been given. As far as they knew, a kid quit their program, so they scratched her from the upcoming meet.

Basically, since you were informed that Gym A did register your daughter, you will need to get Gym B to contact the meet director to see if they can (or are willing to) add her back, under their club for the competition. It will be on the new gym to sort it out, not the old one.

I am certainly not blaming Gym A at all - Just providing facts. So when they email to have her removed from their roster, they are scratching her?

Did the original scores from state go in not showing her as qualified, or change of gyms cause her to be removed all together? That is mostly what I am questioning. When state closed the scores, and started doing awards, they showed my daughter with an AA score not including her floor score. Could that be contributing to the confusion?

I am certainly not blaming Gym A at all - Just providing facts. So when they email to have her removed from their roster, they are scratching her?

Did the original scores from state go in not showing her as qualified, or change of gyms cause her to be removed all together? That is mostly what I am questioning. When state closed the scores, and started doing awards, they showed my daughter with an AA score not including her floor score. Could that be contributing to the confusion?

It is doubtful that the awards mix up has anything to do with it. It was rectified prior to the end of the weekend, right?

Yes, when a kid leaves a club, the club usually emails the meet director to scratch the athlete from any remaining meets. If she was paid, and scratched without a refund, the new gym may be able to "unscratch" her and change her club affiliation. But the new gym will have to contact the meet director in order for that to happen.

If she is a USAG athlete, her number would not change no matter how often she switches gyms. If she is registered, and the registration was transferred, she would still be registered. If she was scratched by Gym A, the meet director is not obligated to hold her registration because she was reported as a scratch. Gym B needs to try to reinstate her registration if possible, otherwise, she may be out of luck this year.

I know it's none of my business, but I'm very curious as to the switch between state and regionals instead of directly after regionals. Not asking for you to explain, just wondering.

I hope you can sort it out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back