MAG Reichelsport grips- impossible to get?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Honestly I cannot see spending the $$ and the time for the Hambuchens until my guy is bigger and doing big skills. If he really neeeeds them, I'll put in the order the day after he catches his first Tkachev and/or breaks the 100 lb. barrier weightwise.

Dancemom, did he see if his coach was willing to rough up the grips with a file for him? Sometimes that helps.

On the buckles versus velcro, we have no choice. Our PD sees velcro as a nasty, newfangled invention and doesn't want the boys in grips without buckles. Since my guy has never had non-buckle grips, he doesn't know what he is (or isn't) missing.

Hopefully, Hambuchen/Reichelsport will figure out their production and distribution issues, and will be more readily available by then profmom ;) . D does love them, and he is big, and working those big skills. But he does blow thru HB grips about every 6 months. Rings, more like 9ish I think. He says they break in easily, and just stay in place better. But I am not ordering any right now. I was in communication wtih the company that distributes them. When you order them, you basically get put on the waiting list in order of the date ordered. Then, you just wait until you are at the top for your type/size ordered. With that system, they have no idea when the grips will come in. We have gotten them in as quick as a month, and as long as 6 months.

D roughs his up regularly, but I do think it decreases the life of the leather. Not a huge deal with smaller guys, but for D, it can mean new grips even sooner.

(trying again... don't know why everything got quoted)

I bought Turn Velcro for both HB & Rings. My son was 7/8, barely 45 lbs, when purchased, so the Velcro size #1 was our only option (buckles started in larger sizes). Turn had a sale/promotion late November on merchandise, so I bough these as back-up grips. My son has repeatedly misplaced his grips & grip bags, so it was a necessary purchase. I really like the leather on the grips- it is really soft/supple/pliable, vs our previous pairs that required a huge amount of rolling/bending to make them useable. The wristbands are also partially lined in a smooth dark leather and seem pretty comfortable. My son said that he doesn't like the Turn HB's because the leather is too smooth and he peels off the bar. He insists that he did use them enough to break them in, but I'm looking at them now and there is very little chalk on them and they look quite new, so I'm not convinced he's given them a good shot.

Thanks, that is really helpful info.

On the buckles versus velcro, we have no choice. Our PD sees velcro as a nasty, newfangled invention and doesn't want the boys in grips without buckles. Since my guy has never had non-buckle grips, he doesn't know what he is (or isn't) missing.

Yes it seems to be a taste thing...or maybe a trust thing? Maybe the early Velcro grips really were awful. At our gym the head coach is ok with either and many of even our big level 9s and 10 use Velcro.

Did not see the Reichelsports :( The are really hard to find.
Yes I did not see them either.

Update: Ok we just ordered the Turn HB grips for older son, we will see how that goes. He appears over the Reichelsports and happy to order grips he knows he will get in a couple days. That wait and uncertainty was too much for him.
HC told younger DS if he wanted to make the switch from velcro to buckle, it is better to start with rings, why I have no idea but not questioning it as this works out nicely as those are the ones he needs most urgently so we also ordered ring grips with buckle for him and this way he can give buckles a try before buying high bar in a couple months. Unfortunately he measured exactly on the line between size 1 and 2 so I hope they will not feel too big.

Honestly I cannot see spending the $$ and the time for the Hambuchens until my guy is bigger and doing big skills. If he really neeeeds them, I'll put in the order the day after he catches his first Tkachev and/or breaks the 100 lb. barrier weightwise.

Profmom, where do you buy your Reisport? DS needs new grips for both events and the prices I see for the Hyper pro-tech line (which seems to be the best fit for him right now) is about the same as the Reichelsports or even more. So frustrating -- he measures exactly 6" and is right in the middle of sizes in many brands.

Deary's Gymnastics Supply. They are awesome. Based on where we are in relation to their shipping route, the joke is that they fax our orders over to us!

Does his coach have an opinion? I'd say if he's not close to a growth spurt, go smaller because they do tend to stretch a little, though the HPs not as much as some. But they do last. My guy has been in his for at least a year (both rings and HB).

Well, as we're essentially coachless for the moment, I'm kind of on my own. His old coach liked Reisport, but Sam is in the 00 size now and isn't quite ready for 0, but needs something in between. From the charts, the HPs seemed to run a bit smaller? It's not urgent, but I want him to have plenty of time to break them in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back