Parents Reminder for parents - Meet Etiquette

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Even the Y meets charge $5 here!

interesting, Mary! I guess after we left the Y, the new coach thought about charging for admission...but then the parents pointed out that all the other Ys would start charging too, and then the parents would be mad!

Wow I don't think I could ever afford gymnastics in the USA!
As 'margo said parents here usually pay £5 max for a comp and that is all day, none of this paying per session! Also we really don't get big audiences here, mum and nan maybe, some dads but not many at all. Sad really when the girls work so hard!

I agree with the sentiment that we should ALL treat our meet venues and whomever is staffing them with respect, pick up after ourselves, behave ourselves etc. We give our new team parents a handout regarding meet appropriate behaviour, and expect our families to represent us in a positive way at meets.

However, I disagree that parents working a meet are "volunteers". The host gym and/or booster club makes money from meets (sometimes a LOT of money), and the parents/athletes of the host club benefit from those monies made. So whether they pay you directly (I know they don't), or whether you are doing a work trade, you are getting a benefit from your sessions worked, whereas a volunteer is just giving and not receiving a benefit in trade.

When I write a check for $5000 and then know the thousands of extra that are coming from my families for gate fees, programs, snacks, goody-grams, raffles, etc. (from just ONE team)... I expect the trash to be emptied, the bathrooms clean and stocked, and the parents prepped beforehand on FAQ's: what time will the coaches food be here, are there any more water bottles, where is the wheelchair entrance, what time does the next session start, etc.

As a rule we would not attend a meet that charged entrance fees to spectators except in outside venues, which are worth the added cost IMO.

All the meets that my dd attends are located in Convention Center type venues....hence the large gate fees. But, from friends in other gyms around here, even the local In-House meets charge at least $5-10 at the door.

All our meets are held in rented out facilities, high schools, convention centres or sports complexes. The gymnasts pay $75 meet fees and that's all. The host gym might make a bit off concessions, but it isn't a big money maker here.

The host gyms have to rent specific Gymnova equipment, $6000 for the weekend for the required set up. Gyms cannot use their own equipment ever, not even a spring board. So there is little left over for the gym. Not surprisingly we only have three qualifiers a year, very few girls make Provincials.

Our booster club had to pay the gym for the use of it for meets, as they were loosing money on not having birthday parties, so having an outside venue is not the only time a cost is incurred. it is something you might not think about, though.

I was manning the door to the gym one time at a meet, the floor came up close to the edge of the room, and we wanted to make sure that people stayed a safe distance away from the floor, so we had some one stand there and check that food was not being brought in, and that people didn't stop there to watch. I asked a lady if she could move away from the door after she had stood there for a bit and had not moved. she got really indignant with me and left muttering under her breath. the next gymnast up was one of the ones who had alot of power when tumbling, and sometimes went out of bounds on her passes, well you guessed it, if the lady had of stayed there she would have been hit by a gymnast! please remember we are not asking you for safety things like photography, moving, etc... just to hear ourselves talk.

ok down off my soap box now.

I agree with the sentiment that we should ALL treat our meet venues and whomever is staffing them with respect, pick up after ourselves, behave ourselves etc. We give our new team parents a handout regarding meet appropriate behaviour, and expect our families to represent us in a positive way at meets.

However, I disagree that parents working a meet are "volunteers". The host gym and/or booster club makes money from meets (sometimes a LOT of money), and the parents/athletes of the host club benefit from those monies made. So whether they pay you directly (I know they don't), or whether you are doing a work trade, you are getting a benefit from your sessions worked, whereas a volunteer is just giving and not receiving a benefit in trade.

When I write a check for $5000 and then know the thousands of extra that are coming from my families for gate fees, programs, snacks, goody-grams, raffles, etc. (from just ONE team)... I expect the trash to be emptied, the bathrooms clean and stocked, and the parents prepped beforehand on FAQ's: what time will the coaches food be here, are there any more water bottles, where is the wheelchair entrance, what time does the next session start, etc.

As a rule we would not attend a meet that charged entrance fees to spectators except in outside venues, which are worth the added cost IMO.

I have to disagree with you on the volunteer thing - EVERY Volunteer for any group is volulnteering to support the purpose of that group. Doesn't matter if its a booster club where there is a more direct benifit or Breast Cancer Awareness where we may not get as diredt a benifit. People volunteer for many reasons, sometimes altruism, sometimes personal, but
always for a purpose.

Every meet here charges an entry fee. For compulsory meets we normally pay $10 for adults and $5 for children/seniors, though some gyms only charge $7 for adults. We pay this if the meet is at a host gym or an outside location and whether it is a regular meet, Zones or States. It is just the norm for this area and I have never heard a parent question it or complain.

People from other states/countries might balk at that, but we live in one of the most expensive areas in the US and gyms here HAVE to make a profit to keep the doors open, especially the smaller gyms. Many of the gyms here depend on that home meet to keep their team program running and I think the vast majority of parents around here understand that.

Editing this to say that having worked as a parent at a meet hosted by a small gym... we worked our butts off to host that meet and the amount of "profit" kicked back to our gymnasts made it so we were working for about $2 an hour. So no, we weren't volunteers, but pretty dang close.

sharks post surprises me - we don't make money out of hosting meets in this country - proably don't even cover costs ! I'm pretty sure that we have higher costs ( less land so higher property charges, much higher taxes, much more onerous business legislation) and our gym fees are much lower - begs the question where is all the money going ?

Tax rates, property values, business restrictions, insurance costs vary greatly from state to state here in the US. I happen to live in a state and specifically an area with some of the highest property values in the US not to mention the highest environmental regulations. Now add in insanely high tax rates and the added insurance costs that come with all that and you have an environment that makes profitability difficult.

As for the question of "where is the money going"?

For two of the gyms we've been with, we were given a line by line itemization of the meet. Profits were noted and the profits were divided between the competing girls (with optionals given a higher stipend) and deducted off our assessments. The number of hours worked divided by that credit is where I got my hefty $2/hr pay rate.

Despite how expensive it is to live and train here, it isn't like you see coaches rolling around in fancy cars and living in palatial estates. This is a hand-to-mouth sport for many in the gymnastics community with coaches coaching for the sheer love of it, not to become rich.

I have to disagree with you on the volunteer thing - EVERY Volunteer for any group is volulnteering to support the purpose of that group. Doesn't matter if its a booster club where there is a more direct benifit or Breast Cancer Awareness where we may not get as diredt a benifit. People volunteer for many reasons, sometimes altruism, sometimes personal, but
always for a purpose.

Things my be different in your area. My experience has been that parents are required to work a certain amount of shifts at their hosted meets. For that work they are compensated. Around here I would say a typical compensation package would include a banquet or party at the end of the year, credit to ones own account to offset their child's competition expenses and a purchase of new equipment for the gym. That's fairly standard to expect here. Considering say a 6 session meet with 400 athletes, with a $80 entry, minus about 5-6 grand for judges, that's still over $25,000, not including revenue from team fees, refreshments, goody bags, raffles, etc. We are talking reasonably large sums of money. Even considering a large team of 100 athletes, that's still $250 per athlete.

It is my opinion that something you are required by your gym to do, that you receive compensation for is not volunteering, it's a work trade. Nonetheless I completely agree that all guests at meets should treat the venue and hosts with respect. We actually have a page about it in our parent handbook. I would be horrified if our team, coaches, or parents were disrespectful to out hosts (or anyone) at a meet. I just disagree on the syntax, or semantics of the word choice.

Things my be different in your area. My experience has been that parents are required to work a certain amount of shifts at their hosted meets. For that work they are compensated. Around here I would say a typical compensation package would include a banquet or party at the end of the year, credit to ones own account to offset their child's competition expenses and a purchase of new equipment for the gym. That's fairly standard to expect here. Considering say a 6 session meet with 400 athletes, with a $80 entry, minus about 5-6 grand for judges, that's still over $25,000, not including revenue from team fees, refreshments, goody bags, raffles, etc. We are talking reasonably large sums of money. Even considering a large team of 100 athletes, that's still $250 per athlete.

It is my opinion that something you are required by your gym to do, that you receive compensation for is not volunteering, it's a work trade. Nonetheless I completely agree that all guests at meets should treat the venue and hosts with respect. We actually have a page about it in our parent handbook. I would be horrified if our team, coaches, or parents were disrespectful to out hosts (or anyone) at a meet. I just disagree on the syntax, or semantics of the word choice.

Booster clubs that are non profit cant require any of that, charge dues or give credit like that for hours worked its illegal (75 % of boosters do operate in an illegal manner). Now if the gym it self is requiring it of the families of the gymnasts than it is part of their agreement with the gym to keep fees down for their kid. Being forced to do it or else I don't consider to be a volunteer. Maybe a VolunTOLD but not a volunteer.
Voluntold: Forcing someone to do something they did not volunteer to do.

I have never been at a meet that required parents to give their time. They do ask for help but not required it or given anything of tuition based on your hours served.

This is a repeat of last season's rant/vent. Please wait until awards to scream for your kid and team. Loud cheering/yelling during the meet while gymnasts are competing is disturbing to the gymnasts as well as other spectators. In some cases I have not been able to hear the floor music.

Tax rates, property values, business restrictions, insurance costs vary greatly from state to state here in the US. I happen to live in a state and specifically an area with some of the highest property values in the US not to mention the highest environmental regulations. Now add in insanely high tax rates and the added insurance costs that come with all that and you have an environment that makes profitability difficult.

I'd like to add that hosting a meet at your gym or an outside venue is a lot of work. If you made no profit at all after awhile no one would do it. Then you would have less meet options and the few meets would be crazy overcrowded. Just saying. Since when is it a crime to make a profit? I'm pretty sure that the gym is a business. As for booster clubs and parent associations - if they didn't make a profit what would be the point for them? No one is bringing in the big bucks - like someone else said, our gym owner isn't driving around town in a jag and living in a mansion. And if they were . . . well that's their business.

Our gym does not require any parents to volunteer or join anything. It is an individual choice, which is why the few of us end up working the entire weekend non-stop. Where I live - all meets charge. The only meet I was ever at that did not charge was a in-house, just our team, pre-meet thing and we sat on mats, squished in the corner to watch. Additionally I've been to several of my nieces meets . . . all charged over $15. So yea, Volunteer or not - pay the nice lady at the door and behave yourself.

Oh I have to add! I have been to meets where you had to park 2 blocks away in the local home depot parking lot . . . I have also waited outside a venue for up to 2 hours because the session before ran late . . . in the rain, in the snow, in the dark. So if you show up 2 hours before warm up - do not complain you can't come in. Especially if it's a beautiful sunny day and the meets running on time.

I'd like to add that hosting a meet at your gym or an outside venue is a lot of work. If you made no profit at all after awhile no one would do it. Then you would have less meet options and the few meets would be crazy overcrowded. Just saying. Since when is it a crime to make a profit? I'm pretty sure that the gym is a business. As for booster clubs and parent associations - if they didn't make a profit what would be the point for them? No one is bringing in the big bucks - like someone else said, our gym owner isn't driving around town in a jag and living in a mansion. And if they were . . . well that's their business.

This is what we end up with. Three meets a year, no invitationals with cool themes, no medals past 3rd place. Way too many spectators and way less fun for the kids. Sometimes I am glad our system is so simple, but sometimes I with we had more variety of meets and more fun. We also have the same clubs at every meet, so after the first one the outcomes is pretty much the same at the two subsequent ones.

As for meet etiquette,

Don't scream out for your kid when someone else's is on beam.

Do not ever go and harass the judges if you don't like the kids score.

DO not talk smack about your club, coach or other peoples kids in public, those things do get back.

Keep your kids in their seats and off the equipment, if they are too young to sit still then leave them at home. Meets are long and boring for some young ones.

But to meet organisers,

Make sure the venue has enough bathrooms, and that someone has the job of checking them all day.

Do sell some food that isn't junk.

Make sure there are enough seats to go around, of and can the gym not be freezing.

Do make a schedule that works, imaginary times are no good. Keep the groups small, nobody needs to watch 100 girls compete.

This is what we end up with. Three meets a year, no invitationals with cool themes, no medals past 3rd place. Way too many spectators and way less fun for the kids. Sometimes I am glad our system is so simple, but sometimes I with we had more variety of meets and more fun. We also have the same clubs at every meet, so after the first one the outcomes is pretty much the same at the two subsequent ones.

As for meet etiquette,

Don't scream out for your kid when someone else's is on beam.

Do not ever go and harass the judges if you don't like the kids score.

DO not talk smack about your club, coach or other peoples kids in public, those things do get back.

Keep your kids in their seats and off the equipment, if they are too young to sit still then leave them at home. Meets are long and boring for some young ones.

But to meet organisers,

Make sure the venue has enough bathrooms, and that someone has the job of checking them all day.

Do sell some food that isn't junk.

Make sure there are enough seats to go around, of and can the gym not be freezing.

Do make a schedule that works, imaginary times are no good. Keep the groups small, nobody needs to watch 100 girls compete.

YES! YES! and YES! I can't agree more - and PLEASE a hot gym is even worse.

We went to a meet last year - 3 pm meet - started almost 5pm - had to be over 90 kids - at 9pm my DD had only done 3 events and it was so hot she had to scratch the last event due to a migraine. Here's the kicker - after all that . . . they awarded top 3 only - and with dollar store ribbons. really? come on! and ps - yes, I paid for me, my husband and my older daughter to attend. There were not enough seats, once you sat you had to stay put - no place to go. need I say we will never attend a meet at that gym again

Our meets are all in our Canadian winter, so I never thought of heat, but when I think of how hot the gym can be in summer, I can totally see how horrible that would be.

We are planning our first meet and we really don't want everyone to suffer with the heat, so we are going with an air conditioned venue even though it costs more. At least it will be pleasant for the spectators and judges, and easy for the gymnasts to work hard. When we go to meets in Trinidad, we die of heat - we wear as little as possible and are still completely wilted after an hour! They have heavy duty fans on the competition floor, but we spectators suffer!

I would probably throw an internal hissy fit if I was required to pay for a meet (or any event) that my child was participating in! My dauther is only 3 so I am not even sure how it is done around here. I can understand having spectators pay a fee, but parents/caretakers and siblings should be free! I would be more than happy to make a donation, but a required fee would irk me.

The meet etiquette sounds to me like common sense! I have never, ever been to a gymnastics meet...nor has anyone I personally know. But, you would think that people would use plain ole common sense..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back