Reminder: this is the world wide web

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
A gentle reminder to all our gymnasts: this is the world wide web. Every post you make is accessible to anybody in the world. While this section is intended primarily for gymnasts, it would be foolish to assume that only gymnasts will read it.

So, before you hit that "submit" button, please consider:

Would you want your parents to read it?
Would you want your coaches to read it?
Would you want your teachers to read it?
Would you want your teammates to read it?
Would you want your classmates to read it?
Would you want complete strangers to read it?

If the answer to EVEN ONE of these questions is "no," DON'T POST IT. If you can think of a single person on the entire planet who you would not want to read your post, don't post it.

Last edited:
very good point and something i think which needs to be said.

Likewise, the other groups of people should remember this advice too. And also that something posted here can be read today, tomorrow, next month, next year, and probably next century.

So for example....parents with young DD's remember that they too will one day in the future read everything you wrote about them on here.....gymnasts who want to run for political office one day, your opponent will one day read everything you wrote here....and so on.

Thanks GT! I feel like this was needed.

And maybe if I can add on a little bit. Wacth what personal information you are giving out. I know it seems like this is such a nice community here on CB, but there are some creepy people out there and by giving out things like names of cities, gym names, and sometimes even states, you can be putting yourself into dangerous situations. Try not to give too much out.

Another thing I'm going to add:

Do not assume anonymity. You would be amazed how little information is required to track a person down. Have you used the same pseudonym elsewhere that you use here? Then odds are you can be tracked down using just that name and nothing else. If you post your placement at one meet, odds are that can be used to track you down, as most meet results are posted online. If you mention your gym, your age, your level, even what state you're in, these can often be used to identify you. Do not post under the assumption that nobody will know who you are, because it's easy to find out. Next time a chalkbucket member gets kicked out of her gym for something she posts here (believing herself to be anonymous) will not be the first.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back