Removing underarm odor from competition leo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HELP PLEASE!!!

My daughter apparently forgot her deoderant the first time she wore her brand new competition leo, and now the underarms wreak!!

I am afraid to use anything on the leo to remove the smell for fear that it will ruin the leo.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting this odor out? I just bought the thing this season and as you know, they aren't cheap!! So I don't want to ruin it and have to buy another one.

I use steam to get smells out of clothes without actully washing them. My favorite is to use a large size personal steamer ( about $100 from a bed and bath store) to get wrinkles and odors from clothes without ironing.

Another option is to use a smaller hand held steamer or hang the leo on the shower rod, turn the shower on Hot and let it steam up the bathroom then turn off the shower and let the steam continue to work.

Make a paste from baking soda, you know that arm and hammer stuff. Spread it on the area that pongs and it will lift the smell out of the fabric the way it lifts the pong out of the fridge.

Failing that a bath in white vinegar always worked on cloth diapers, and boy they really smell.

Both are natural and will not bleach.

what material is the leotard? velvet or Lycra or some foily shiny stuff?

Have you washed it? With my daughter's leos, even the fancier competition ones, I always turn them inside out and wash in the washing machine (I think the agitation helps more than hand washing ever could)

I would also try the white vinegar thing as well if you think the smell is horrendous. There's also Febreeze ( get the one designed for autos and spray it on the INSIDE of the under arm area)

I do wash our foily shiny and bejewelled competition leos inside out in LUKE warm water (barely warm, but not cold) with a mild detergent and baking soda. Our body fluids are slightly oily so you need some grease fighting ability to get it out of the fabric fibers, the baking soda can just be thrown into the water with to help with the odor side of thing. The key for ours is to NOT let the leo sit wet and the colors won't bleed or blue our white area of our leo. You can tumble dry if your dryer has the NO HEAT option, but make sure inside out again to keep the jewels from catching the inside of the dryer. If you live in a warmer climate you can hang dry in the sun trying to make sure the pit area is exposed to the sun and that will also help naturally air out.

A vinegar rinse after all that should also do the trick if none of that works. Vinegar is a natural astringent and should cut the odor. Once dry the vinegar smell will go away or be very light. If it still seems strong then just let air out for awhile.

I would contact the company that made the leo for advice. That way if something does go wrong, you can call them back & ask them what do do. They wont guarantee any leo unless you wash them w/ exactly their instructions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back