WAG Repeat a level or struggle?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

Last season (2014-2015) I competed as a level 4 (14 y/o). I'm old I know. I compete YMCA. I struggled with injuries this year - major ones included 2x fractured fingers with growth plate stuff, hyperetended knee, sprained ankle.... shin splints... It was bad. I grew a ton and we are looking into a vitamin d deficiency. However, I am wondering whether I should repeat level 4 or really shoot for 5, or go to xcel. We don't currently have an xcel program but we will be creating one next year, but we only have two girls so far. Plus YMCA doesn't have a huge xcel program.
I did ok in level 4.....
I think - low score of 8.25 and high of 9.05 on vault; low of 7.45 and high of 8.6 on bars; low of 8.3 high of 9.05 on floor, and low of 8.3 and high of 9.7 on beam; low aa of 33.5 and high of 35.95. I typically scored low 8 on bars, mid-high 8 on vault, high 8 to low 9 on floor, and low-mid 9 on beam.
My vault was a bit archy and I totally favored my good leg (shin splints, ankle problem that I am currently in a boot for). My bars were rarley connected (at regionals they were!) and I usually fell on something - beginning of the season kips, mid season squat on, end of season i didn't). On floor I was fairly consistent. My beam routine is beautiful if I landed my cartwheel... but I struggled with mental blocks on that nearly the whole season. So my question is.... what level should I do?
My coaches are sorta leaving it up to me.

What do YOU feel is best? I'd personally love to struggle through L4 rather than compete L3 which is what my gym is planning to have me compete. I could easily do 90% of L4 skills but I'm to scared to.

I think you might be happier with Xcel--getting to design your own routines and competing against some girls more your own age.

Hearing from us is not you making a decision. :D

Struggle can be another word for doing skills you are not yet ready to do, which can lead to more injuries.

Does your gym uptrain?

I think you should see where your skills are when you get back into training. If you are concerned about L5 skills (as in you don't have them solid yet), I would actually suggest Xcel Gold. If your team is starting an Xcel team, then maybe other Ys in your district are doing the same thing. You can always transition back into JO when you are ready. You scored out of 4 so you could do 5 ... or depending on how you do at Gold (if you compete Platinum worthy routines and score well), you could get petitioned into L6.

2 seasons ago, there were not many Xcels in our district (less than half the teams offered it and most only had 1-3 girls compete Xcel).
This past season, 9 of 11 teams offered Xcel (including one team that the HC swore would never offer it) and 7 of the teams had enough girls competing in a single division to have a full "team" for team award purposes.
Another team would have offered it had they not lost all their coaches and more than half their gymnasts (they had been one of the teams that offered it the previous season).

A) YOU ARE NOT OLD! You are 14. You can't drive a car. You can't vote. And you are certainly not ready for the retirement village yet.

What you are is more mature. More able to process corrections. More understanding of the work it will take to reach your goals. These are good things.

B) No one can tell you where you should take your gymnastics career. This would be a good time to sit down with a piece of paper and write down your goals. Be fantastical. If you want to ultimately perform triple flips on the moon, then write that down. Then write down how to get there. Put down your options for next year and see how they line up with your goals. THAT will help you decide where to go. If you make the decision, then you will be committed to following through. If someone else tells you what to do, there is no internal drive to do it.

But don't ever say you're too old. You're perfect.

Knowing that you are still injured and that you don't seem to have even most of your level 5 skills, I'd repeat 4 or do Xcel.

Go for it! You are certainly old enough to know how it all works, and the rewards....if you feel challenged and happy at level 4 getting a medal or two, that's great! It's not only about the bling!

Another thing to consider... do you think you would qualify for Nationals as a Level 5. You know you want to go next year :) ... so if you aren't ready for L5 at the beginning of the season, you definitely need to start in L4 or Xcel Gold.
Just talk to the coach about the possibility of a mid-season move up if you are doing well... because technically, if you score like you did last year at L4, you could use those qualifying scores to compete L5 at Nationals, so a mid-season move up, assuming you have the skills, would help you prepare even more :)

I think you'll do better and enjoy excel more. If that is not a possibility, I'd push for Level 5. If your coaches are leaving the choice up to you, and not making you repeat L4, then they must think you can do Level 5. Get yourself checked for those chronic injuries and make sure you heal completely and do physical therapy to restore strength, mobility and flexibility.

I think you'll do better and enjoy excel more. If that is not a possibility, I'd push for Level 5. If your coaches are leaving the choice up to you, and not making you repeat L4, then they must think you can do Level 5. Get yourself checked for those chronic injuries and make sure you heal completely and do physical therapy to restore strength, mobility and flexibility.
I'm doing pt now. It looks like I'm out for the summer for any impact stuff but I do pick things up fairly quickly and for l5 I only need my tuck on floor, a more consistent punch front, front pike off beam (gym rule) and flyaway. Which seems like a lot, but I also came to the gym without a single l3 skill, competed, and ended up coming in 3 at regional. So we will see.

I think you should see where your skills are when you get back into training. If you are concerned about L5 skills (as in you don't have them solid yet), I would actually suggest Xcel Gold. If your team is starting an Xcel team, then maybe other Ys in your district are doing the same thing. You can always transition back into JO when you are ready. You scored out of 4 so you could do 5 ... or depending on how you do at Gold (if you compete Platinum worthy routines and score well), you could get petitioned into L6.
What would platinum worthy routines look like?

Another thing to consider... do you think you would qualify for Nationals as a Level 5. You know you want to go next year :) ... so if you aren't ready for L5 at the beginning of the season, you definitely need to start in L4 or Xcel Gold.
Just talk to the coach about the possibility of a mid-season move up if you are doing well... because technically, if you score like you did last year at L4, you could use those qualifying scores to compete L5 at Nationals, so a mid-season move up, assuming you have the skills, would help you prepare even more :)
Oh yeah! I really want to go to Cali warm weather and should be fun!

A) YOU ARE NOT OLD! You are 14. You can't drive a car. You can't vote. And you are certainly not ready for the retirement village yet.

What you are is more mature. More able to process corrections. More understanding of the work it will take to reach your goals. These are good things.

B) No one can tell you where you should take your gymnastics career. This would be a good time to sit down with a piece of paper and write down your goals. Be fantastical. If you want to ultimately perform triple flips on the moon, then write that down. Then write down how to get there. Put down your options for next year and see how they line up with your goals. THAT will help you decide where to go. If you make the decision, then you will be committed to following through. If someone else tells you what to do, there is no internal drive to do it.

But don't ever say you're too old. You're perfect.
That's true. Thank you. I was referring to being old for l4,but you made a perfect point.

What would platinum worthy routines look like?
Platinum worthy routines would have a Salto on floor ... connected acro on beam (or a flight skill not connected) ... and a kip on bars. A "B" skill on each event too (pike jump, wolf 1/2, or 540º turn on floor ... pike jump or straight jump 3/4 or tuck jump 1/2 on beam ... clear hip, cast handstand or close to HS, fly away 1/2 on bars) ... basically, L5/L6 skills are Platinum worthy :)

Platinum worthy routines would have a Salto on floor ... connected acro on beam (or a flight skill not connected) ... and a kip on bars. A "B" skill on each event too (pike jump, wolf 1/2, or 540º turn on floor ... pike jump or straight jump 3/4 or tuck jump 1/2 on beam ... clear hip, cast handstand or close to HS, fly away 1/2 on bars) ... basically, L5/L6 skills are Platinum worthy :)
So I would be able to compete a punch front on floor, BWO BWO on beam, clear hip on bars?

Many teenagers refer Xcel because of the lower hours and ability to design the routine. Then again, I don't know about YMCA, so it may not be different. I think you need a flight connected to a salto for platnium, so front handspring front tuck or round off back handspring back tuck.

So I would be able to compete a punch front on floor, BWO BWO on beam, clear hip on bars?
You need 2 tumbling passes on Floor... in Platinum, you would want a series with a salto in it (ROBHS BT or ROBT or something along those lines AND either a separate B salto (front Pike, for example) or another series with 2 flight elements (does NOT have to have another salto).
Beam-Yes... Bars - Yes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back