Parents Repeat level 4 at age 11

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has been competing in JO now for 5 seasons, she’s 11 years old. She did levels 2 and 3 then COVID hit and messed up her first level 4 season. In order to keep her doing something, her coach placed her in XCEL meets for that first season in 4. We moved and she started attending a new gym, competed in level 4 and did quite well. She has all skill requirements for 4 and 5, most of 6 and a few level 7 skills. She works very hard and studies the sport almost obsessively. Her gym has decided to keep her in level 4 this year. She’s devastated and I honestly can’t quite understand why???!! A level 4 gymnast who scored out of every meet last season…
This isn’t an extensive list, but she has her layout, back tuck, kip, fly away dismount on bars, sticks a backhand spring on low beam, back tuck dismount from beam and the list goes on. Her having to repeat the level 4 routines when they are so simple to her now, seems insane to me.
She wants to compete in college and honestly has very few other hobbies, she’s very serious about this sport, and is willing to do whatever she needs to in order to reach her dreams. I just feel like the gym may not be considering her as an individual gymnast. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Get her evaluated at another (other) gym(s) — if they agree she should be a level 5, she will need to make a decision. There’s not much you can do besides make your feelings known at the current gym and look around for alternatives.

They probably want her scores. Ask what their goal is for her and what's holding her back. If you don't like the answer, call around to be evaluated

That would be very frustrating. I would definitely look for another gym but would consider meeting with the current one as well. Explain that you want her in 5 even if it means repeating that level next year.

Definitely chat to the gym, find out the reason behind repeating the level. Its not always as it seems. The goal may be to keep her at a lower level, where she knows the routines so she doesn't have to spend a lot of time on routines and can be accelerated on skills to skip through levels later.

There may be something really important missing that you don't know about.

Let them know her goals and see if they have a plan to help her achieve them.

That would be very frustrating. I would definitely look for another gym but would consider meeting with the current one as well. Explain that you want her in 5 even if it means repeating that level next year.
I did, met with them today but our feelings just do not seem to have any weight. We are planning to change gyms, another gym we talked to said it was would nuts to keep her in 4.

I did, met with them today but our feelings just do not seem to have any weight. We are planning to change gyms, another gym we talked to said it was would nuts to keep her in 4.
Did they give you any reasoning for keeping her in L4 another year??

My kid is competing L4 this fall with plans to move to L6 in the spring. Perhaps it is something like that?

I have personally seen girls with those skills repeat for 1 of 2 reasons. 1) the gym wants higher scores at L4 to win team awards or 2) there aren't enough girls ready for L6 so they hold back to save costs on meets/coach time/etc.

Regardless, neither reason is beneficial to the gymnast. I am with the others - seek out another gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back