WAG Repeating Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That's true in a few gyms, but some of the best gyms in the state for optionals will go entire years without having a single compulsory repeat. You'll notice there are several gyms that have a significant drop off in results when it gets to level 7. The girl in the video was a first year level 4.
Sophia was/ is an exception, you can't compare her to "normal" gymnasts. I don't not think she repeated level 4 because she is the same age as my younger dd, they would have competed the following year at level 4. You will find very few girls with scores like that repeating, but you will see 38.00 repeat, but generally you won't see a 38.0 win states, in the younger age groups. I think she went on and won level 5 states with a mid 38. Also Novaks is a top notch small gym, they win states almost every year. Their girls are normally amazing! They generally to not repeat.

Sophia was/ is an exception, you can't compare her to "normal" gymnasts. I don't not think she repeated level 4 because she is the same age as my younger dd, they would have competed the following year at level 4. You will find very few girls with scores like that repeating, but you will see 38.00 repeat, but generally you won't see a 38.0 win states, in the younger age groups. I think she went on and won level 5 states with a mid 38. Also Novaks is a top notch small gym, they win states almost every year. Their girls are normally amazing! They generally to not repeat.

Anyway, many of the top gyms in the state don't repeat as a general rule. There are three gyms that like to be compulsory powerhouses that repeat 37s and 38s. Not everyone does. 35s, yes, because nowadays in that range you're looking at a lot of technical breakdowns of important skills. Personally I would not consider any gym that wasn't winning level 7 plus when they had multiple kids capable of 38 a few years ago in level 4/old 5.

First, completely agree with Gymdog's observations in VA. There are certain compulsory powerhouses and most gyms know who they are. I didn't understand when I first started not to put to much stock in their accomplishments. It is what it is.

A couple comments/themes from above stand out -- 1) repeating levels seems to be getting a bad rap and 2) it's hard to medal as a first year. I think it's horrible that some girls are repeating (in particular old L4) when they clearly are beyond that level. But sometimes it's a good thing even with top scoring girls. In particular I think this may be true of really young girls. I've seen the extra confidence and maturity they've gained in an extra year serve them well for later levels. Uptraining in a repeat year really helps though with boredom. Plus, a top performer (or really any gymnast) who's missing a key skill (i.e., a kip) has a long way to fall. I know of at least one instance where the lower scores were devastating to a gymnast's ego. They were used to winning and couldn't handle not winning. Maybe they should have repeated though everything on mymeetscores would say otherwise.

Second point - lots of first years medal. My DD started competing "late" - a 9 yr old level 4. I recognize that at that age some of the scores are not as competitive as lower ages (her bars would have won or placed on all but the smallest age groups). She's never repeated and is currently competing L8. She's consistently gotten at least 3 medals each year (a couple times she's got 4 medals; even was state champion on an event), but I think she's no where close to being what I would consider a high performer (i.e., national TOPS girl). However, she's had all of her skills for each new level even at a gym with limited uptraining (had her kip before the first L4 meet). So, yes Virginia, you can definitely medal the first year without being a superstar.

Parents - just know your child's program. Know the plusses and minuses and know that sometimes the intangibles will outweigh all logic. Some programs are good for compulsory, but be aware that at a certain point it makes sense to change for continued growth. Know that extra pressure may come if you start with a hyper competitive program. Know that not everyone progresses at the same pace and that's okay. Slow and steady may just win the race -- you really need to trust the coaches.

I'm very proud of all my non-superstar's accomplishments. :) Just happy she has been in gyms that let her grow and she's found something she loves.

I struggle with this topic, to be honest. My DD repeated level 5 when we both thought she was capable of moveing up to level 6 (her scores were mid 34s to mid 35s). I still believe she could have competed level 6 and done fine, but she would not have been rocking the scores (at least early on). Bars was probably the biggest challenge.

As some of you know, midyear the HC had 5 repeaters do a couple of level 6 meets. I don't remember the exact scores but DD legitimately got 3rd and 6th on beam and floor in both meets and beat several of her level 6 teamates, with scores around 9.15-9.3.

The fact that she repeated level 5 allowed her to focus on uptraining and not worry about level 5 skills. She obviously knew the level routines very well. But the question I still have is whether in her development she would have ended up on the same place. Would being in the level 6 training group have been more beneficial than being in the level 5 group with uptraining? Would she have struggled to hold her own in the level 6 workout?

I will never know, nor will she. At the end of the day, repeating was still good. She had tremendous success at that level and won states. Her training has been good and she progressing and improving. Butt she feels like she is "a level behind" right now. So my point is that in a lot of cases there is a bit of gues work that goes into what the coaches decide. The athlete has a responsibility to herself to make the most of whatever situation, being aware of the kind of program she is in and making sure she is in progressing her skills regardless of the level she competes.

I struggle with this topic, to be honest. My DD repeated level 5 when we both thought she was capable of moveing up to level 6 (her scores were mid 34s to mid 35s). I still believe she could have competed level 6 and done fine, but she would not have been rocking the scores (at least early on). Bars was probably the biggest challenge.

As some of you know, midyear the HC had 5 repeaters do a couple of level 6 meets. I don't remember the exact scores but DD legitimately got 3rd and 6th on beam and floor in both meets and beat several of her level 6 teamates, with scores around 9.15-9.3.

The fact that she repeated level 5 allowed her to focus on uptraining and not worry about level 5 skills. She obviously knew the level routines very well. But the question I still have is whether in her development she would have ended up on the same place. Would being in the level 6 training group have been more beneficial than being in the level 5 group with uptraining? Would she have struggled to hold her own in the level 6 workout?

I will never know, nor will she. At the end of the day, repeating was still good. She had tremendous success at that level and won states. Her training has been good and she progressing and improving. Butt she feels like she is "a level behind" right now. So my point is that in a lot of cases there is a bit of gues work that goes into what the coaches decide. The athlete has a responsibility to herself to make the most of whatever situation, being aware of the kind of program she is in and making sure she is in progressing her skills regardless of the level she competes.

I am coming to an awareness of this first hand. The gymnast definitely needs to take this responsibility with her progress.

My dd is a level3/old 4 repeater. I was really not Ok with this at first until I learned that the coaches just want her to gain some confidence/maturity and get over some fear issues. She has all her level 4 skills to some degree (her vault isn't real pretty sometimes). I felt a little frustrated at their decision since I see the girls that moved up and of course as a parent I feel like she is just as good as they are. She was one of the first to get her straight arm kip, and she has had her BHS BHS for two years. She even has a great cast handstand, and some level 5 tumbling skills. At every open gym I try to encourage her to perfect the level 3 stuff, and then work on the level 4 stuff so she can show her coaches that she is motivated. What we are going to focus on this year is making our efforts at meets pay off for the team and maybe in the process she will take home a few first place AA trophies! That should help with confidence!

One other thing I should mention is that our gym is known for girls repeating level 3/old 4 to the point that the other gyms in our state think it's unfair because we always win. I think it is better off in the long run because we have an awesome optional group and send girls to nationals every year.

Repeating, in and of itself, is not a bad thing in the compulsory levels... it is only bad when the girls HAVE the skills for the next level (or 2) and have the scores to demonstrate proficiency (38+ should almost always move up... 37+ usually should). On the other hand... 34 and below should be dependent on skill development.
We have had 2 meets this season, and based on the results, I wish some of our girls HAD repeated... In New L4, we had 11 girls move up from Old L4 (3 of them HAD to because of Zone "Mandate" Scores - although we could have petitioned 2 of them back down due to fear/ skill issues... and one moved up because her mother said she was bringing her daughter to the L4 Summer Camp because she already did 2 years of old L4 -even when HC tried to discourage her). Most girls who had already done 2 seasons of Old L4 were given a choice. MY YG was the only one who CHOSE to repeat and do New L3. The girl who's mom insisted she move up... a stellar 26.1 AA in her 2nd meet. This particular mother made the choice to have her daughter move up with an Old L4 season high AA of 33.5... and she booked her hotel for Nationals 2014 in July of this year (Her daughter will need at least a 32.0 to qualify for Nationals. She would have been better off repeating again while uptraining for New 4. MY YG has her FHS and back roll to handstand and RO2 on floor... almost has her kip and squat on... can get over the big vault on "0" ... and is close to her cartwheel on beam. This other girl has very squatted FHS, back roll stepout, and RO2 with a very low 2nd BHS... almost has a kip and squat on... sometimes gets over the vault on "0"... is close to a cartwheel on beam and is almost vertical on her beam handstand. She is a year older than my YG. I hope she gets the skills by mid-March, but there is no guarantee.

My daughter did two years of old 4 and although I was concerned about it, it ended up being the best decision they could have made. Everything clicked during that year and now she is flying through the levels. So, don't always assume that repeating is bad or automatically means that the coach just wants to win or means that the child isn't any good or doesn't have long term potential. My dd is proof of just the opposite.

Of course, the repeaters do better at meets. My dd won almost every meet she went to as a second year four but there was no sandbagging involved at all, just what was best for her psyche, emotions and gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back