Anon repeating levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you keep up your confidence when you are the only one repeating a level? I am a level 6 for the second time and was confused on how that judgement was made. I have all the skills and was held back. All of my former teammates moved up and it has me feeling seperated from them in a friend type way.

Try to think about it in a positive way: repeating level 6 this year will give you time to perfect your level 7 skills and do really well in level 7 next year! Your gym probably kept you back to give you the best chance of succeeding (making states, etc.) My coach always tells us that even if you have the skills, you won't necessarily be going to the next level because it is important to perfect the basics first to give you the best chance at a successful season and performances at meets that you will be proud of.

Talk to the coach, ask why. Identify the problems. Or you can consider to change your team, maybe you can still move up in other teams . Keep your options open! Good Luck!

You can have the skills, but you might not have them to the standard that is required by your gym to compete.

Repeating can have its advantages, you will be very experienced in level 6, and will probably have a great season and a good shot at medaling at competitions.

You will be able to spend more time on learning new and exciting skills as you already know your routines, so wont need to spend so many hours on those.

It does not mean you are not as good as other team mates, every hits a snag at different times. We have some gymnasts who take longer to progress early on and then it all clicks and they just fly past the others. We have other gymnasts who just fly through the lower levels and then hot a wall later on. Spending more time in level 6 now, may mean less time in another level later on.

Reactions: rd7
I think being separated from teammate/friends is hard no matter what. At our gym, girls that are asked to repeat usually become team captains and that's a great skill to foster - maybe ask about that? Also, I notice that we see the most repeats in L6 for whatever reason, so you are definitely not alone!

How do you keep up your confidence when you are the only one repeating a level? I am a level 6 for the second time and was confused on how that judgement was made. I have all the skills and was held back. All of my former teammates moved up and it has me feeling seperated from them in a friend type way.
That's a tough spot, especially being the only one. Do keep in mind that repeating might be better for your long term development -- i.e., repeating now might allow you to catch up and surpass some people who moved ahead.

A close friend of mine repeated level 3 for the fifth time when we were younger. It really hurt for her to watch other people move up when she felt ready for Level 4. She's now a Level 6. You will get there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back