Parents Repeating lvl3 and not scoring well?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No, she is concerned about her moving up at the end of the season. I re-read it to be sure.

Not sure exactly what I said but I'm actually fairly confident DD will move up next season (at least at our current gym bc standards are low for move up). My concern is that once she gets to lvl 4 she will struggle. I had no issue with her repeating 3 (unlike some parents who were upset that their kid was repeating). I saw it as a way to have a strong year as a repeat level 3, gain confidence, strength, technique, etc, etc. and move to level 4 very ready. Now I am confident that she can get to 4, but I'm not sure that she will be ready for a decent year of 4 when she gets there.

No, she is concerned about her moving up at the end of the season. I re-read it to be sure.

I was commenting on this post below

And yes DD LOVES the process and is not too concerned about her scores. I also am not too concerned about her scores except that I do think she will be devastated if she doesn't qualify for states this season and I had hoped that she would be easily qualifying in the first meet or two but now I'm concerned. My other concern is that the weak coaching that she is receiving will not be enough to move her forward -and by forward I/we have modest goals -really I would just like to see her make states this year and move to lvl 4 next year and make states there.

My guess is that your program needs more strength training more than anything. Some girls are naturally strong, and will progress at a reasonable rate without a lot of emphasis on building strength. Many kids (like Kipper) really benefit from a strong conditioning program. Make them strong first, then the skills are easy!!! If your dd is like mine, and IF your gym is not doing a lot to build strength, then you are not likely to see much difference next year. She will continue to struggle to progress and score well. Just one possibility based on your description of how other girls are doing okay, but no one is doing really well.

My guess is that your program needs more strength training more than anything. Some girls are naturally strong, and will progress at a reasonable rate without a lot of emphasis on building strength. Many kids (like Kipper) really benefit from a strong conditioning program. Make them strong first, then the skills are easy!!! If your dd is like mine, and IF your gym is not doing a lot to build strength, then you are not likely to see much difference next year. She will continue to struggle to progress and score well. Just one possibility based on your description of how other girls are doing okay, but no one is doing really well.

I agree -I think you are spot on about our gym's lack of a good conditioning program and also the fact that it effects the less naturally strong kids (definitely my DD) more than the ones who build strength easily.

So many variables here. Any idea what her primary corrections are? Why specifically it is she isn't scoring up closer to the 9.0 range?

For a lot of girls it is something like overall "tightness" that just gets dinged to death and adds up. That can definitely improve with maturity (body control) and more conditioning. Or it could be something like amplitude and angle deductions in jumps and leaps, which will also improve over time with practice. Those can take a while to develop.

Between the ages of 6-7 and 8-10, there is often a world of difference on overall control like body tightness, as well as the strength for higher leaps/jumps, and more fluid swings, etc. If you are in a decent program, I would expect to see noticeable improvement over the season.
I'm glad to hear this! My DD is 6 and level 3 and is a total loosey goosey kid! She's got great skills and strength but can't keep her arms straight on a turn or to salute! It's almost comical.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back