Report Cards: How strict is your DD's gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't think that is a gyms place to step in. I remember one time as a level 4 or 5 my coach asked for a copy of each report card and my parents refused to give him one. I had scored above average on tests, school was just hard for me. I had a lot of social and anxiety issues and just could not seem to excel the way other kids in my classes did. I felt inadequate at being unable to keep up and struggling when my classmates would breeze through the work. I didn't do poorly because of gymnastics, had I been suspended from the team or competitions I think I would have done even worse. It's just best to leave it up to the parents, they know what their kid needs.

I completely agree with posts in regards to effort vs. outcome...

Isn't that what we are trying to teach in the gym?

What if the schools made the girls bring in their medals after each meet and the ones who didn't place were punished?? (That's it! No more algebra for you until you start winning!)

Families need to communicate their own values and attitudes about education to their children. Not everyone feels honor roll grades are important. I personally care little about grades. My advice for my own children ... find what you love and do it with passion.

We don't have a rule. Of course they'd like to see us do well, but every kid is different. I haven't really had any issues with it... I think gymnastics has actually helped me keep the 4.0 that I've had since freshman year. Gymnastics taught me to set goals (to keep a 4.0 all four years of school), hard work, and determination. It all crosses over - that's why gymnastics is such a great sport. :)

They say they need good grades, but I don't know they've ever had to bring their report cards in--Sami never did and Beth hasn't either.

Our gym asks us to bring in our daughter's report cards when they get them and they make a copy and keep it on file. The only actions they would take with this information is if they see that a gymmie is struggling and then they would talk with the parents to see if they can help in any way. But I would guess that that situation would rarely come up because the parents are very good about making homework.etc a priority. The other day when I walked into the gym, almost the entire level 7 team was doing their homework LOL

And just to jump on the bandwagon, I fully agree that a gymnast shouldn't have to miss out on practice because of grades. I have two hard working girls -one makes better grades than the other but they both work so hard. I can't imagine taking gym away from either one.

School/grades are completely left out of my gym. I have never heard any coach say anything that indicates caring how a gymnast does in school - I guess their policy is that it stays at school and home. Although my coach has let us know that if we want to skip an event (probably the one that needs the least work) to work on homework, we can. Maybe there are some grade-related discussions that I haven't heard, though: I have a 4.0.

Of course, in compulsories most of the girls are in elementary school, so homework and grades are not a big issue. We don't even get letter grades until 7th grade here.

We do not have anything like that, and it is unfair to do that because some people (like myself) are kinesthetic learners and school does not teach or test take this way, its not my fault they dont let me walk around when im taking a test. or in elementary or middle school when i couldnt chew gum in class. never the less my grades arent terrible, but its not straight A's either. Also my coach will not let us do homework in the gym but considers it reasonable to leave early and go home to do homework. sometimes a parent will get angry though about a report card and take their child out for a week or something.

at my old gym they were very strict on grades. lucky most of the girls had all a's and a couple of b's. but there was this one girl and she wasnt the brightest light bulb in the bunch. she got some bad grades and my choach made her stay out of the gym until she got her grades up. after she got them up then she could come back. idk about my new gym but they let girls leave early or skip practice if we have lots of hw.

we don't have grade requirements at our gym. But i think that gymnastics teaches really good life lessons and gymnasts have a good work ethic. So in result, most gymnast's don't have trouble in school, really. I had all A's until I got my first B in 6th grade. I had all A's in 7th grade, 3 B's in 8th grade, and got one B this first 9 wks of 9th grade. School is getting harder for me and I am discovering that I have to work a lot harder now to keep good grades, just like your daughter!

Last edited:
My gym doesn't have one.
I am a highschool gymnast now and we have to get a 1.5 GPA.
Which is all C's and one D
which is very easy to maintain for most the girls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back