resi vs. loose foam pit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Which do you like better and why? Which do you use more? I'd like to just put resi pits in the gym, but I know loose foam is fun. I just don't know if its really necessary or if resi pits are enough for learning new skills. I'll probably do a resi behind vault, and maybe a loose foam pit with a pit bar and tumbling strip.

Loose foam is really more versatile. If I had to choose one or the other, hands down I'd do the loose foam. Can be used for preschool/rec, and you can just slide 8 inchers in for a resi-like surface anyway, but you can't make a resi pit loose foam. But a resi is better than nothing at all if it's the only option.

another advantage of loose foam pit is you can use the loose faom for conditioning purposes and on bars inbetween your legs etc.

As a gymnast, I am usually pretty afraid of learning new skills, especially on bars. I am a lot more comfortable learning new things into a loose foam pit, that way, I know that if I land on my head, I will be okay! But for tumbling, I am afriad to tumble into loose foam. But all you have to do is put an 8incher into the loose foam pit, and it almost becomes a resi pit!

Apparently our gym converted the pit many years ago to resi where they had foam. Heard maybe it was en vogue to convert to resi then.

What a stupid idea. Resi twists ankles a lot easier and doesn't allow for training the bigger dismounts (double/triple).

My gym doesn't have room for a loose foam pit, so I've trained all the way up through level 7 without it just fine. A resi can also be move anywhere in the gym you want it. Loose foam is stuck were you put the pit.

I prefer the loose foam. I think more kids are comfortable with that, but man what a pain to clean. It can get really gross especially if your preschool will be using it to play.

My gym doesn't have room for a loose foam pit, so I've trained all the way up through level 7 without it just fine. A resi can also be move anywhere in the gym you want it. Loose foam is stuck were you put the pit.

This depends, because if it's inground it's generally not movable. The kind of resi mats that are often put behind tumble tracks, etc, are movable. I assumed we were talking about the resi equivalent of an in-ground pit. If it's between movable above ground mats and an inground loose foam system, I'd be even more inclined to go with the latter, because I think higher levels really need the inground system.

i like pits (especially on bars)..they make it a lot easier to learn skills!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back