Coaches Resources for learning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is there a decent video set to learn trampoline?

I have found lots of vids on youtube, but I find that:

* It's not clear what skills you need to master before trying this one.
* Some have progressions, but many do not.
* Few show you examples of bad form, and how to correct it.
* Few show the actions in slow motion as well as normal speed.

There is interesting liability concerns with this. Can you get sued for improper instruction? Probablly, especially in America. I think such a program should be shot in a country where trampolines are used in school, and then web hosted in a country where it is difficult to sue.

Nonetheless: such a series would be enormously valuable:

Right now in the U.S. there are about 100,000 ER visits related to trampolines per year, mostly preventable, with a combination of reasonable safety rules that parents enforce, and proper instruction.

Instruction is *really* hard to find. In my city of 600,000 there are two gym centres that instruct, and at both of those the instruction is part of a general adult gymnastics course.

Such a video course should actually be two courses: One is a series of short vids for participants. Each vid is structured like this:

* A demo of the trick.
* A slow motion demo of the trick
* A demo of each step in the progression.
* A slomo demo of each step in the progression.
* A demo of incorrect form of each step of the progression.
* A slomo demo of incorrect form.

To create such a series, if I were a coach, I'd want to work with one pretty skillful jumper, and several beginners. Of the beginners, one should be someone who picks up new skills quickly. One should be a "motor moron" -- someone who does not pick up new skills quickly.

The skillful jumper is used for illustrations of how to do it right.

The beginners are use to both show mistakes, and to show teaching techniques.

This does not require expensive equipment. Even as far back as the iPhone 6S, you could shoot high def video at 240 frames per second. There are cute brackets that allow you to attach a phone to a tripod. There are also headbands that allow you to use a phone like a go-pro, to show what a trick looks like from the jumper's perspective.

Participants could actually use their own phones. But lots of households have older phones kicking around.

The second course that could be cut from the same starting footage is one in instruction -- how to teach trampoline.

Hi there, I’m normally a lurker on this board but thought I would reply as your topic was interesting. In Britain we have the British gymnastics proficiency for trampoline. The first 5 awards are for pre-school/super beginner and then 6-10 are for a little more advanced. Awards 11-15 are individual awards and get progressively harder. If you search trampoline proficiency British gymnastics you will probably find it. I couldn’t find any demonstrations of the skills so I started my own instagram channel showing each skill as best as I could.

I know Joy Umenhoffer and Mig O'Hara put together a couple of excellent video clinics on trampoline progressions, and I would not be surprised if one or both of those videos exists somewhere on the internet; I would search for their clinics on youtube or google.

In general terms, the best way to approach trampoline progressions is to break everything down into the smallest sections you can. For example, say you want to learn a back tuck. You start by learning a back drop, then back drop fikp over to hands and knees, then back drop flip over to front drop, then 3/4 back salto from feet to hands and knees, then 3/4 back salto to front drop, then back salto from feet to feet. Break everything down into quarter- and half-saltos wherever you can.

So BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE, get comfortable with seat drops, back drops, front drops, and getting to and from each in a controlled manner. Then just work on the various ways of transitioning between each of them in a way that is clean and controlled and consistent. Then, use those as your building blocks.

Here is my favorite video…

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back