Parents Respecting All Gymnastic Programs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14491#post14491

I wanted to copy this topic over to a different forum to voice my opinion on respecting others gymnastic programs, gyms and coaches. I felt it was getting a little off topic and did not want to add this opinion under that thread sooooo I decided to start a new one :D... just my own thoughts/feelings ,having an opinion is one thing, but judging another program or parents' decision based on a couple of comments seems a little out of line...

Out of respect for the gymnastics program (and coaches) mentioned, I just want to say that it is a highly reputable gym, the coaches have been involved in gymnastics their entire lives and have produced outstanding, successful gymnasts – they must be doing something right. I have a great deal of respect for gymnastic programs that produce results for all of their gymnasts.

There are many gyms that are not air conditioned & there are many gyms have higher level gymnasts working on strength and conditioning with the younger lower level gymnasts - the absolute best gyms in the country do this. Thanks starmaker for sharing information about your program with us. We should appreciate the differences, not condemn them... the only result from that will be a fear of speaking and sharing - it would still go on, we would just not hear about it. I enjoy hearing about different programs all over the world, and certainly hope all will continue to share.

My best to all:)

Ingymmom,

While I replied to the poster in that thread, I meant no disrespect to her choice of gyms for her daughter. I said right from the start that I have different expectations and what works for us only. I was not trying to attack her & sorry if it came across that way. I was not trying to be sarcastic.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14491#post14491

Out of respect for the gymnastics program (and coaches) mentioned, I just want to say that it is a highly reputable gym, the coaches have been involved in gymnastics their entire lives and have produced outstanding, successful gymnasts – they must be doing something right. I have a great deal of respect for gymnastic programs that produce results for all of their gymnasts.

I definately see where you are coming from with your comment, but I do not feel it is wrong for parents who have been through these things to voice their opinions, especially when asked, about the things we have seen and lived through our years in gymnastics. In my case I have seen many younger gymnasts put on the fast-track, only to see them burn out at a young age. I will stand by my comment that I do not feel that conditioning is something to be left up to the gymnasts to lead.

I think the post that was put on this site, regarding the number of gymnasts at each level was a great example of how this sport can be challenging, for oh so many reasons.

I feel the same way about softball and basketball for my younger dd, these sports need to be lead by caring individuals, with our childrens best interests in mind. I love the openess and free expession of this site, and I have gotten some really good advice from others. Please don't take comments made as personal attacks, I don't see it that way. I know from my experience that I wanted to know what others felt, and did not take comments positive or negative in the way you seem to describe.

If things were perfect we would always know that our children are in the best place for them at any given time, but until things are perfect, I will keep seeking good answers.

I love this site and enjoy reading the many posts that are left across a wide range of topics. I have recommended this site to many other familes because of the openess of expression. I certainly respect the commitment that all the gym families have made to their gymnasts, and hope that the choices we ALL make are the right ones.

Hope you and your family have a Great and Happy New year!

My post was not directed at anyone in particular & I mean absolutely no disrespect.

I had just made an observation that the question was originally one thing and then suddenly the poster ended up defending their gym/program their gymnast was involved in & the subject took a completely different turn (the original topic became irrelevant) ...

I am sure there are many different programs that not all agree with, but good, bad or different, I want to know about them & hence the purpose for my title.

I hope that all will continue to share the type of gymnastic program they or their gymnast is involved in & on another note - when it is asked on a specific subject - I also enjoy hearing everyones opinions/advice.:D

Happy, happy, happy New Year to all and best wishes for a fantastic 2008!

I know that my answer was a bit short, but I feel that sometimes as moms, our guts are telling us stuff and I feel like deep down, that mama has concerns (from her very first thread she posted here). Her daughter is really young and if things are like how the mom explained, I think it is an unsafe place for a 4 year old girl. Maybe older girls that know their bodies, know how to train, but even then... Gymnastics can be dangerous without proper training and supervision. I wasn't trying to be mean, but as I said, she sounds like she is still unsure about it all and her daughter is only 4 1/2.

I do not see anything wrong with what was posted the parents were simply voiceing there opinions of what was written that is what the forum is for.

Where I live, very few gyms are air conditioned and we live in a very, very hot climate. But few gyms can afford the expense of air conditioning. When they say the older girls are leading the conditioning in programs like this, it doesn't mean that the girls are actually deciding the conditioning program and what is safe and sufficient reps for the younger gymnasts. The program would be set for the gymnasts by the coaches and the girls would be expected to follow it without a great deal of supervision, it works well in elite training groups as these kids are often the kind who are very self motivated. The kids would be expected to either go around by themselves or with a partner or in small groups. With a child as young as 4 (who can't read) it makes sense for an older girl to go around with her. But I have no doubt that the programs would all be set, regularly assessed and modified by a coach. And while the girls are doing the conditiong, while they are probably not being directly 'coached' I also have no doubt they would be supervised and very closely watched by the coaches who may be working with other chilred to ensure they are doing the work properly and not playing around.

Having said that though, I think it is a positive system to have other parents come in and give their tips and advice. It is useful, even for the parent who is happy where they are, because it gives them a chance to view things from a different perpspective and just continue to evaluate how they feel about their childs program and make comparisons to other programs with children of a similar age and ability.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back