Parents Retired Gymnast... Now Wrestler

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tdoesgymnastics

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
You may have seen my previous posts about my daughter. If not, she retired from gymnastics in 8th grade due to chronic backpain and decided to join cross country. She's a sophomore right now and hasn't looked back from the world of distance running. She got a stress fracture just before the state meet this fall and spent a lot of time in the weight room because of it (since she couldn't run but could do core and arms) The wrestling coach saw her and said that he'd never asked a girl to be on the team on the team before but they really need a 106 lb this year. He also said that for the first time, Ohio would have a girl's state meet. My daughter is familiar with wrestling, all her brothers do it, but was a little hesitant because she is only 90 lbs and most guys cut weight. However, she decided to give it a go, and while she does get beat most of time, she's gotten a couple wins and is exciting to had another varsity sport to her repertoire of cross country, track, marching band, diving, and now wrestling. I just love that the twenty hour weeks were so worth it because its such an incredible background for all sports!

I love reading the stories of what happens after gymnastics retirement! Thank you for coming back to share!

Love this! My dd is just beginning her gym journey at L 3/4 but I don’t expect she’ll go the distance... we are too tall. Love seeing what other sports gymnasts do.. swimming, rock climbing, pole vaulting, high jump are a few I hope she’ll consider if/when she retires.

So, I meant to ask ... How'd she do at the state tournament? We have a nearby school that had an entire girls' wrestling team this year. There were at least 2 of our former gymnasts on the team ;) Also in Ohio, so just curious.

That is awesome! Love to see how successful she has been in other sports! Will have to share this with my DD who is going through a back injury right now. Hopefully it will help her see that she has lots of options if going back to gym isn't in the cards for her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back