Parents Retirement and telling coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

WingingIt

Proud Parent
My daughter has decided this will be her last season. I'm kinda sad but I know this is the right decision for her. We have 3 more meets left (last one in late June since we do USAG and AAU). When would you tell the coaches? I don't want to tell too early because I worry they'd coach her differently but I don't want to just spring this on them either. We've been at the same gym for 7 years.

**I do suspect they know she's not loving it anymore**

I would wait to tell them until after the last meet. It is possible that they will coach her differently. I would not worry about springing it on them. Many girls leave the sport and that normally happens at the end of the season.

As a coach, I have never coached an athlete differently knowing it's the end of their time with us. I would personally like to know because I can help them celebrate it even more and enjoy the end of this chapter for them. And it's likely they're already guessing she may be getting ready to be done, we often speculate on this. It can be helpful to have that confirmation.

As a coach, I never treat a gymnast differently if I know they are retiring.

Quite the opposite, I want them to have a fantastic experience to finish their gymnastics career on a high note. Then they go away with fabulous memories.

I also coach them with the same feedback and corrections as I would any of the kids who are continuing, right up to their last day.

You never know if they will come back, use their gymnastics for another activity like cheer or even become a coach one day.

As a coach, I have never coached an athlete differently knowing it's the end of their time with us. I would personally like to know because I can help them celebrate it even more and enjoy the end of this chapter for them. And it's likely they're already guessing she may be getting ready to be done, we often speculate on this. It can be helpful to have that confirmation.
This before her last meet

Wanted to add. Leaving the sport is different then changing gyms.

When changing gyms you tell them after you are gone. Moving on be physically to another state for example or from the sport. Good byes matter. There are enough lasts in life you don’t see coming. Again, before the last meet And last practic.

Agree 100%, gyms sometimes get their noses out if joint when you leave yo go elsewhere. But she is retiring, they can help celebrate her wonderful journey.

Our gymnasts all get celebrated at the annual banquet. If a gymnast quits before the banquet... they are still invited to the banquet.

We uptrain year round with our lower levels at the gym. If I was informed that an athlete was done at the end of the month or season... I would most likely stop almost all uptraining for that athlete. We would just maintain them until they are done.

I would wait to tell them until after the last meet. It is possible that they will coach her differently. I would not worry about springing it on them. Many girls leave the sport and that normally happens at the end of the season.
Thanks.

We uptrain year round with our lower levels at the gym. If I was informed that an athlete was done at the end of the month or season... I would most likely stop almost all uptraining for that athlete. We would just maintain them until they are done.
This here is why I don't want to tell too early. Uptraining is fun and on the days they uptrain she comes home with that spark in her eye. She still loves gymnastics. She just doesn't want to be on a gymnastics team next year.

I have settled on telling them shortly before her last meet. Probably the week of. This way, they can celebrate with her but I don't have to worry too much about her missing out on uptraining. They'll still want her to perform well at the meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back