WAG Retiring Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a Level 9 gymnast. I have trained for 9 years and i’m not sure if I want to continue. My coach isn’t very understanding when it comes to injuries or even personal problems which makes it hard to enjoy gym. I love my friends but most of them are leaving. Some thing that keeps me from quitting is the fact that I could do well in my level next year. With that also comes the problem that i’m scared of most skills that I would need to progress. I really want to try other things and focus on my studies. I feel really bad wanting to retire because of all the money my family has put in for me but I also don’t want to make them spend more if I don’t enjoy. Gymnastics is all i’ve ever know and everyone always knows me as the gymnast. Do you think anyone can give me some pointers on how to make the right decision?

Do you think you could enjoy gymnastics more in another environment? You could have a discreet look at other gyms in the area if there are and ask to do a trial lesson.
On the other hand if you aren’t interested in gymnastics any more, stop now! I’m sure gymnastics has taught you life-lessons and that makes your parents money worth-while. Once you move on you may find other parts to yourself you never dreamed you have. You may feel lost at the moment but you’ll find other hobbies and outlets soon enough.

I think the best way to make this decision is to talk about it...a lot....with your parents and close friends. Talk about what you like and dont like why you would stay and why you want to retire. I think the more you talk about it the clearer your own feelings on the matter will be. Also other people can give you different perspectives and alternatives to what you may be thinking right now. There is no wrong answer here but I think if you really think out your decision and talk it out with people who's opinions and advice you trust you will come up with the best answer for YOU and that's what matters most!

I also recommend taking a short break even if its just a few practices or a week off. Do you feel ready to go back for more after that? Relieved that you didnt have to go? Dreading to go back? Missing the sport and/or your friends? What did you miss and what did you not miss? That may help you talk about it with your friends and family as well as make a decision.

And let me say as a parent who has sunk a ton of money into gym...I would not be at all upset with my daughter if she decided to retire. She has already gotten a ton of good things out of gymnastics and really at the end of the day I want her to be happy, and its her life. Also as a parent with the checkbook....It is always appreciated if the decision can be made before I buy the expensive competition leotard or start paying for the meets. Not that my kid can't quit during the season but i discourage that. We always have a big talk about what she wants before I buy the Leo at the end of the summer lol.

Do you think you could enjoy gymnastics more in another environment? You could have a discreet look at other gyms in the area if there are and ask to do a trial lesson.
It always hurts to hear that people quit because of their coach or friends. If you still have interest in gymnastics, would it be possible to change gyms?

I'm totally unsure of your exact skill level and goals, but I saw your age on your profile. Assuming you have possible goals for college, could you drop hours this year and experience new interests and still end up a multi year L10?

Quitting/retiring is a super hard decision. (One that i have never made, but seen people make many times.) Does gymnastics bring you happiness? Is there a way to change circumstances (hours, gyms, etc...) so it can bring you happiness?

I ended up quitting mid season my senior year because I ignored my gut feelings over the summer. I was absolutely miserable, aching, and just not having fun anymore.

I ended up doing track and cross country in college and absolutely loving it. And now I coach full time and play in the gym for fun. The love of the sport came back to me.

On the other hand if you aren’t interested in gymnastics any more, stop now! I’m sure gymnastics has taught you life-lessons and that makes your parents money worth-while. Once you move on you may find other parts to yourself you never dreamed you have. You may feel lost at the moment but you’ll find other hobbies and outlets soon enough.
Personally I could not see myself in another gym. I treat this gym as my home! There are not many gyms close to me and I feel moving would not solve many problems. My parents agree with the life lessons part. I have many hobbies I would love to try! Thank you so much for your insight!

I think the best way to make this decision is to talk about it...a lot....with your parents and close friends. Talk about what you like and dont like why you would stay and why you want to retire. I think the more you talk about it the clearer your own feelings on the matter will be. Also other people can give you different perspectives and alternatives to what you may be thinking right now. There is no wrong answer here but I think if you really think out your decision and talk it out with people who's opinions and advice you trust you will come up with the best answer for YOU and that's what matters most!

I also recommend taking a short break even if its just a few practices or a week off. Do you feel ready to go back for more after that? Relieved that you didnt have to go? Dreading to go back? Missing the sport and/or your friends? What did you miss and what did you not miss? That may help you talk about it with your friends and family as well as make a decision.

And let me say as a parent who has sunk a ton of money into gym...I would not be at all upset with my daughter if she decided to retire. She has already gotten a ton of good things out of gymnastics and really at the end of the day I want her to be happy, and its her life. Also as a parent with the checkbook....It is always appreciated if the decision can be made before I buy the expensive competition leotard or start paying for the meets. Not that my kid can't quit during the season but i discourage that. We always have a big talk about what she wants before I buy the Leo at the end of the summer lol.
My gym is pretty strict on attendance and many people have mentioned breaks but I don’t honk it’s possible (especially with my coach). My parents are the same as you they would like me to retire at the end of the season compared to the middle! Thank you so much for the reply!

It always hurts to hear that people quit because of their coach or friends. If you still have interest in gymnastics, would it be possible to change gyms?

I'm totally unsure of your exact skill level and goals, but I saw your age on your profile. Assuming you have possible goals for college, could you drop hours this year and experience new interests and still end up a multi year L10?

Quitting/retiring is a super hard decision. (One that i have never made, but seen people make many times.) Does gymnastics bring you happiness? Is there a way to change circumstances (hours, gyms, etc...) so it can bring you happiness?
I could drop to 20 hours instead of 25. But I still feel that it would still make me unhappy. I am really scared of L10 skills and requirements. I’ve dreamed to going to school for gym and over the past year I have not dreamed that as much. Thank you for your help!!

I ended up quitting mid season my senior year because I ignored my gut feelings over the summer. I was absolutely miserable, aching, and just not having fun anymore.

I ended up doing track and cross country in college and absolutely loving it. And now I coach full time and play in the gym for fun. The love of the sport came back to me.
I really want to coach at my gym as I still love the sport! I also enjoy track! I think listening to my gut might be my best decision. Thank you so much!

Is xcel an option at your gym? If you still enjoy gymnastics y you could compete XD but train less hours and not have to do L10 skills. And you'd have more time for academics and other sports.

If you're done and want to be done, no shame in retiring. A gymnastics background is great preparation for other sports!

Is xcel an option at your gym? If you still enjoy gymnastics y you could compete XD but train less hours and not have to do L10 skills. And you'd have more time for academics and other sports.

If you're done and want to be done, no shame in retiring. A gymnastics background is great preparation for other sports!
Sadly my gym stopped offering xcel gymnastics but I would definitely go that route if I had the option!

Listen to your heart/gut.

And perhaps there are other options. A gym with lower hours, an Xcel program.
Track is a spring sport, go for it see how you like it.

Talk with your coaches. At our gym we have a number of girls doing varsity sports. My daughter goes from her JO season to lacrosse. She hasn’t spent much of April/May in gym but now that her lacrosse season is ended it’s back to gym (and she still has her skills) and uptraining. She will spend her summer doing some lacrosse camps and her clubs gym camps.

Talk to your coaches and parents but go to them with a solid well thought plan.

Before you quit, evaluate whether you are quitting because it is getting difficult and you are scared of the sacrifice, or if you are quitting because you truly do not love participating anymore and have nothing left to give to gymnastics

One of my biggest regrets was quitting when I was younger (I came back a little while after) because I was scared of certain progressions and things were getting tough. I could possibly be a level 10 instead of a level 9 now, my future may have been brighter as a gymnast if I stayed.

But if it is the latter than you clearly have no business being in gymnastics anymore. If it is the former than consider working through it for a while and re-evaluating your feelings after a while.

I really want to coach at my gym as I still love the sport! I also enjoy track! I think listening to my gut might be my best decision. Thank you so much!
Track and Field is a great sport. And any gymnasts that has made it to optionals has the potential to do great. If you try track, just give yourself time to catch up to the other girls on your team that may have years of running behind them. Running is very different from gymnastics, but your gymnastics will totally help you with general conditioning etc. If you are going to try pole vault, then your air awareness and upper body strength will be a real advantage. Not as much running with pole vault, but you have to be strong running up to the place where you plant the pole. You might be good at hurdles too. If you are going to run the longer events, like the mile, than that will take time to build your aerobic base. Good luck!

If a big part of the reason you want to quit is because of level 10 skills and fears - are you able to stay at level 9? With the new difficulty bonuses, you could work in some level 10 skills slowly, at a rate you're more comfortable with

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back