Return to gym stories

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD started back yesterday. I was surprised with all they did. She did great on bars and floor took beam and vault slower (those are her less good events) she was so happy and surprised how well she did going back. She is sore today i kind of wish they had eased back into stuff but the good news is her confidence is high which will help in the long run. We will see how today goes!

My D was able to go to gym yesterday for the first time since February. She was able to do her beam series and dismount and kips/casts. Didn’t work bars dismounts and only did vault drills. She is taking it very slow on floor by choice and only did very light tumbling basics. She said it felt good to be in the gym, even better to be working lots of basics, and she was surprised that she wasn’t sore this morning at all- her teammates had been warning her of how sore they’d been after starting last week. She decided to practice in a mask, which was completely voluntary, and said it was fine for her. They had temperature and wellness checks at the door and she was assigned her own chalk block to keep with her and bring each time. Practices are only 2 hours per day and she’ll only be going one day a week (by choice- they’re still letting her train for free and she doesn’t want to abuse their kindness).

YG and her LSS and LBHG (l'il blonde headed girl) had a "private" together (since the 3 of them are considered family, they were allowed to share a private). There were 3 other girls sharing one and then another Platinum / High School gymnast had one too. There were 3 coaches (one for each private) and myself and a parent ... and eventually another parent there. Coaches and parents were in masks. We bought a block of chalk for cost that we will keep to take every time. We were checked in with temp checks and covid exposure questions.
Then the girls went to stretch while the coaches finished their cleaning from the previous group. My girls started on floor. They all still have their basics, but YG forgot to put her tiger paws on, so she limited her tumbling.
Then they went to beam. Again, they had their basics. LBHG surprised us with an awesome split jump on the high beam ... like at least 145º ... and she is Xcel Gold. YG still has her Tuck jump 1/2 and her jumps. Her full turn is there, but she hops off after - so where she was at the last practice, lol.
After beam was bars. They all struggled a little. YG still has her back hip circle and cast close to above horizontal and her flyaway is solid. Another growth spurt has her kip on vacation and she has to pike on her back swings so she doesn't clip her heels on the low bar even on the wide setting. LSS is L4 and took a few tries to get her kip, but she did a few successfully before getting a rip, lol.
Then our 50 minutes was up, so we left in a pouring down rain :)

Well, my daughter’s gym is one week in (13 weeks out) and the girls are doing better than they were before the break! I know many responses here have said this was the case for them, which gave me hope during all the waiting, but I was still a tad skeptical that that would be our reality too. But it is! I’m floored, and so excited for her to finally be able to move on.

I love hearing that.

Week 2 has been tough for my son. He is sore!

I love hearing that.

Week 2 has been tough for my son. He is sore!

I bet! The transition is tough. My daughter is sore too, “every single part of my body!” and next week may be worse. But, the joy makes up for it. Coach said her tumbling is better than before and she still has a good kip, which is surprising given that we don’t have a bar at home.

I bet! The transition is tough. My daughter is sore too, “every single part of my body!” and next week may be worse. But, the joy makes up for it. Coach said her tumbling is better than before and she still has a good kip, which is surprising given that we don’t have a bar at home.

Yeah. most of my son's skills are back pretty good. strugglign with his release on hb, but he'll get it

TX was allowed back May 18 and most of the girls are back to where they were before. The governor just closed bars down and took restaurant max capacity down due to the spike in cases. I think all the parents are hoping gyms aren’t next. The gym has done a good job of distancing. There are never more than 15 kids in the gym at once during our practice time.

TX was allowed back May 18 and most of the girls are back to where they were before. The governor just closed bars down and took restaurant max capacity down due to the spike in cases. I think all the parents are hoping gyms aren’t next. The gym has done a good job of distancing. There are never more than 15 kids in the gym at once during our practice time.
I just saw on FB someone say their gym in Harris County was shut down due to the spikes? I don‘t know the details. Hope everyone is ok!

My daughter went back about 4 weeks ago, very limited hours, and increased to 16ish this week...just in time for the #%^ to hit the fan at our gym, and our family to decide to look at a gym move. While it was pretty stressful for her to try out after not being on high beam yet, and not flipping a vault since returning, I was proud of how she approached it. It’s looking like we’ll be moving on.

Here’s hoping everyone stays healthy, and gyms are able to safely stay open!

My daughter went back about 4 weeks ago, very limited hours, and increased to 16ish this week...just in time for the #%^ to hit the fan at our gym, and our family to decide to look at a gym move. While it was pretty stressful for her to try out after not being on high beam yet, and not flipping a vault since returning, I was proud of how she approached it. It’s looking like we’ll be moving on.

Here’s hoping everyone stays healthy, and gyms are able to safely stay open!

Wow, why did things fall apart at the gym- was it covid related? Good luck to your DD in the gym change!

I started this topic, and love hearing all the positive stories. But then I forgot to post when my own child went back.

She has had a week and a bit of low hours sessions in the gym now. They are going very slowly so they have not yet resumed training the things she was working on just before shutdown. Lots of conditioning, just kips and swinging on bars, mostly just complex on beam, and reintroducing tumbling very slowly on floor.

She says bars, beam and floor are going well, but vault is terrifying.

Wow, why did things fall apart at the gym- was it covid related? Good luck to your DD in the gym change!

It was not Covid related, although I believe that likely accelerated what was already bubbling under the surface for awhile. The owners/coach are also pretty much blaming Covid. In reality, it was a lack of care and honesty from the owner, and the unwillingness to ever change anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back