Return to Training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No nothing ☹️
DS is bored of the zoom training now so I really hope we get some information soon. Surely if non essential shops can open gymnastics gyms can?? Especially if they limit numbers.

Nope. But more regional associations have officially cancelled all competitions for 2020 this week so that is probably the first bit of information we have had at all. The elites who are allowed back don't see to actually be in the gym yet, but once they have that all sorted then it might be time to think about the rest of us.

We're going to start zoom classes next week, so for us that is a first step back.

There is a gym club in my area that is offering one to one training session in open air places like parks, weather permitting, they have equipment that they can take outside easily and offer tuition to members and non members.

The elites who are allowed back don't see to actually be in the gym yet, but once they have that all sorted then it might be time to think about the rest of us.

Even for the elites restrictions have been imposed as to who is eligible to return to training at this point. There is a strict criteria based on competitions entered/international medals won as to who has been selected from the current Mens/Women's senior squads. There is also a government age requirement (athlete must have reached 16 years of age) - presumably due to the documentation athletes must sign stating they understand the risks of returning to training.

Given the age of consent, the fact not all senior national squad gymnasts have been selected to return to training and the extremely small size of groups returning to their home facilities, I unfortunately don't see this being a pre-curser for 'general' gymnastics resumption. This is about professional athletes and Olympic hopefuls returning to sport :( It's about $$$

There is a gym club in my area that is offering one to one training session in open air places like parks, weather permitting, they have equipment that they can take outside easily and offer tuition to members and non members.

would they be covered insurance wise though? As far as I understand any activity outside of BG’s rules won’t be covered.

Yes I have seen UKG are insured for outside training but BG will not insure.
DD’s coach has told her squads won’t be back until the end of July at the earliest.

I think at this point, we would take the end of July as a win, and it would be something to work towards. I hope that is right, the alternative we have heard is September/October, which would be a full half year out of the gym.

Even for the elites restrictions have been imposed as to who is eligible to return to training at this point. There is a strict criteria based on competitions entered/international medals won as to who has been selected from the current Mens/Women's senior squads. There is also a government age requirement (athlete must have reached 16 years of age) - presumably due to the documentation athletes must sign stating they understand the risks of returning to training.

Given the age of consent, the fact not all senior national squad gymnasts have been selected to return to training and the extremely small size of groups returning to their home facilities, I unfortunately don't see this being a pre-curser for 'general' gymnastics resumption. This is about professional athletes and Olympic hopefuls returning to sport :( It's about $$$

Yes, I realised all this. I didn't think it made it likely for regular people to be back soon. I saw it more as no chance if they can't even sort this small number of people out. I noticed the govt age thing straight away as the Gadirova twins are not yet 16 and yet I would have at least one of them in with a decent chance at Olympic selection.

Unpopular opinion here, but it needs to be said; after the events of the past 2 weeks, it’s obvious all these social distancing measures can be abandoned. Let the kids get back to gym, back to school, back to normal. If they were serious about the rules they are imposing, there would not be mass gatherings allowed every day. We don’t need to keep jumping through hoops.

Unpopular opinion here, but it needs to be said; after the events of the past 2 weeks, it’s obvious all these social distancing measures can be abandoned. Let the kids get back to gym, back to school, back to normal. If they were serious about the rules they are imposing, there would not be mass gatherings allowed every day. We don’t need to keep jumping through hoops.

I agree with you, if thousands (hundreds of thousands maybe) can be shoulder to shoulder in a protest then everything should open up again in 14 days if the numbers don’t increase in a big way. When I saw the photos of the protest in London it reminded me of the start of the London marathon with so many people in one small space.

Yes, I realised all this. I didn't think it made it likely for regular people to be back soon. I saw it more as no chance if they can't even sort this small number of people out. I noticed the govt age thing straight away as the Gadirova twins are not yet 16 and yet I would have at least one of them in with a decent chance at Olympic selection.

I think some of the elites are back now. Rule probably sucks for those who are 15 but they can at least train with their coach outside.

Many schools have return, non essential shops are opening up soon so hopefully, it won't be too long before they can let squads back. I think it probably will be September before recreational returns.

It's frustrating that my daughter's club isn't offering anything when so many other clubs are offering zoom.

I promise I’m not trying to be snarky or rude, and I respect your opinion, but I believe it’s risk vs benefit? Puma Jr DESPERATELY wants to get back to the gym, and I want her to be back as soon as it’s reasonably safe (it will never be 100% safe as we all know) but gymnastics isn’t changing the world as much as the protests potentially will. Please don‘t get me wrong, I love the sport as much as we all do, but the BLM movement is so much more important. As we’ve seen on that other thread, there is sadly so much racism in this country still and we definitely can and need to do better. I agree that it was scary to see so many people gathered together in the midst of a global pandemic, but I think especially with masks and as much social distancing as possible that the benefit outweighs the risk. I know at least in Syracuse, the protesters were all wearing masks and keeping the distance they could. But you are right, the protests probably will cause spikes in the numbers, and I do see your logic. Again, I know tone is difficult to tell in text sometimes, so please know my words are not attacking at all.:)

I promise I’m not trying to be snarky or rude, and I respect your opinion, but I believe it’s risk vs benefit? Puma Jr DESPERATELY wants to get back to the gym, and I want her to be back as soon as it’s reasonably safe (it will never be 100% safe as we all know) but gymnastics isn’t changing the world as much as the protests potentially will. Please don‘t get me wrong, I love the sport as much as we all do, but the BLM movement is so much more important. As we’ve seen on that other thread, there is sadly so much racism in this country still and we definitely can and need to do better. I agree that it was scary to see so many people gathered together in the midst of a global pandemic, but I think especially with masks and as much social distancing as possible that the benefit outweighs the risk. I know at least in Syracuse, the protesters were all wearing masks and keeping the distance they could. But you are right, the protests probably will cause spikes in the numbers, and I do see your logic. Again, I know tone is difficult to tell in text sometimes, so please know my words are not attacking at all.:)
Please don't make this a political thread. I think the point being made by GAgymmom, that gyms in the UK are closed as part of the lockdown rules, however, the rules are not being observed (with a dramatic increase in non adherence in the last 2/3 weeks) whether it is going to the beach, organised parties or mass protests. If current behaviour is not causing COVID19 to increase than it may be possible to ease some of the measures. Obviously none of us want to put our children at risk but equally accept there is unlikely to be zero risk anytime soon. It will be interesting how and when gyms will reopen and the type of measures that will need to be put in place to minimise risks.

Please don't make this a political thread. I think the point being made by GAgymmom, that gyms in the UK are closed as part of the lockdown rules, however, the rules are not being observed (with a dramatic increase in non adherence in the last 2/3 weeks) whether it is going to the beach, organised parties or mass protests. If current behaviour is not causing COVID19 to increase than it may be possible to ease some of the measures. Obviously none of us want to put our children at risk but equally accept there is unlikely to be zero risk anytime soon. It will be interesting how and when gyms will reopen and the type of measures that will need to be put in place to minimise risks.
I agree, I do think it’s best to not talk about politics on CB. My point was just that through all of this, choices have to be made as to what is an acceptable risk. And its very difficult! Puma and I are constantly reassessing what we feel comfortable with. I very much hope the numbers don’t spike and it can prove that easing some of measures is safer than we thought. I apologize if it was over the political line? I thought it was an acceptable response with respect to “politicalness”to @GAgymmom ’s post, which I also think was not crossing the line. And I am with you that there will never be zero risk and that the reopenings will be interesting. Thank you to those sharing your gyms reopening stories!

I’m not talking causes, I’m talking common sense. If thousands can gather day after day, then life can get back to normal without all the rules about groups and distancing. It’s not about why they can gather, it’s that there are gatherings of people in large numbers. You can’t say “these people can get together, but no one else“ just because they have strong feelings about something. I’m talking purely about all these distancing rules that they can’t seriously enforce any more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back