Rhythmic gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 26744

Is anybody else watching the rhythmic gymnastics? I think I am actually beginning to like rhythmic gymnastics better than artistic.

dd and I were discussing this today, wondering how it became associated with gymnastics as it is more like dance. Interesting history.

I was watching the group round tonight. It’s impressive but seems more subjective like dance while throwing things. It doesn’t seem like a sport to me. I know that lots of people would disagree.

dd and I were discussing this today, wondering how it became associated with gymnastics as it is more like dance. Interesting history.
At the beginning of modern gymnastics there were two schools of thought. The German was more individual, and performed on apparatus, the Swedish was synchronized team calisthenics, sometimes with clubs and such. Sometimes you can see it in old ceremonies.
There used to be team calisthenics competitions under the Olympic gymnastics header. Then Olympic gymnastics became more standardized, and the Swedish way kind of broke off and got popular for graceful movements and a lack of broken necks. It picked up some pretty props, and became an Olympic sport in its own right. I have utterly no explanation for the leotards.

I'm not really sure what the definition of a sport is, but I think what they do with the apparatus is amazing, and to dance at the same time without looking like they are doing anything technical as far as things like catching the apparatus also amazes me.

I was watching the group round tonight. It’s impressive but seems more subjective like dance while throwing things. It doesn’t seem like a sport to me. I know that lots of people would disagree.
I totally agree. I don't discount the athletic ability it takes to perform this sport but ballet takes similar abilities and its not in the Olympics.

So sick of Russians complaining. You lost, deal with it! Such sour losers.
Happy for the Israel girl!

I have no idea who should have won, but I don't think Russia should go around saying they were cheated. I've never seen anybody so devastated to have gotten silver in all of Olympic competition as Dina.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back