Parents Right Decision - College Camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok. Slightly overthinking probably but my daughter is in middle school and finishing out Silver.
She is moving to Gold after states is done.

I signed her up for a college gym camp. YAY! But now I am overthinking that she might be the only one there her age in that level. A camp isn't a miracle worker but I am slightly hoping it helps get more skills earlier on. But that will be up to her and her confidence.

She wants to attend the college possibly and they do have a club and the only college she is looking at that has a club too.

I sure she will have a blast but I don't want her to feel alone either.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Am I overthinking? Or will she more than likely be alone.

She asked her coach if they can begin working on some more tumbling passes so she has something to build off off while at camp.

If you're willing to name the camp, someone might have more info. In general, these camps usually have groupings for all levels including rec. It is doubtful that she will be the only one. As for gaining new skills, I would not be too hopeful. Remember that it's just a few days. Camps vary in what they work on. Some work skills way beyond the gymnasts' current level, heavily spotted while others work the next set of progressions they are ready for

I figured that would be part of the review I'm asking for.
All these college camps are pretty much the same. 95% of the reason colleges do these is to generate extra income for the program. As such they are intended to be fun and light affairs. So they break up the campers into smaller groups of about 20 gymnasts that are usually given a team leader (usually a current gymnast sometimes someone affiliated with the program). The groups then rotate to various stations throughout the camp. Other than the obvious vault, bars, beam floor, they usually have a dance rotation and may have some other nutrition/mental health/Q and A rotation through there. There will be an opportunity for pictures and then the camp typically ends with some type of open gym where attendees show off their dance and maybe some skills. DO NOT go into a college camp thinking some amazing coaching is going to happen. DO NOT go into camp thinking it is a recruiting opportunity (of course its not going to hurt to see a campus you might be interested in and its staff) because the coaches are not there looking for recruits. What is the other 5%? Those are for the junior/senior girls that were explicitly invited by the coaching staff to come and see the campus, kinda an un-official visit for girls that might not have gotten an official visit but both sides are interested OR for girls that already committed and just want another opportunity to come on campus.

Thank you. The title is "high performance" but with no specifications like other camps have. She is a 6th grader, NOT looking to be recruited and afraid that there will either be too many high level gymnasts or a bunch of elementary age students. She just wants to feel comfortable, have fun and check out campus, maybe meet some of the team.

Yes, the times I have had my daughter at "high-performance" camps, there has been a wide cross-section of girls of varying abilities and ages. She never felt uncomfortable, they really do emphasize the fun, even though they say its high-performance camp. I think they say that more for marketing than for actual skills.

Thank you. The title is "high performance" but with no specifications like other camps have. She is a 6th grader, NOT looking to be recruited and afraid that there will either be too many high level gymnasts or a bunch of elementary age students. She just wants to feel comfortable, have fun and check out campus, maybe meet some of the team.
If they do not specify specific levels, then it is for all levels, even if it says high performance. They mainly do that to encourage more team vs rec gymnasts. From past experience with other college camps, there will be a wide range of ages and levels. While there are a lot of girls who go with team members, there are also many girls go on their own and are eager to socialize with others

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back