Rips! Nooo!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
I was at my 5-hour practice today, and bars was first. 15 minutes into bars, I got a rip the size of a quarter dollar on my hand!!! I now have four more littler ones that will rip on my Tuesday practice, and another two that might rip. How can I help my big one heal quickly, and minimize risk of new rips?
P.S.
I do wear good, Reisport grips.

On the ones that are about to rip I would suggest shaving off the calluses using either a pummus stone or a razor, and on your rip you could put chapstick (I use Carmex) to help it heal faster.

I think I read about this here, but it seemed to really work... bag balm (green square tin in the moisturizer isle, usually on the bottom shelf) on the rip. Then I made a fingerless glove out of a sock (basically just cut a short tube out of a sock and then made a hole in it for her thumb) and put that on over the bag balm. She puts it on before bed every night until it is healed. I actually had to do it for my non-gymnast daughter recently because she was playing around on the pull-up bar we have at home and she doesn't have the callueses that her sister has. Good luck!

I have heard soooo many things on what works, bag balm, tea bags, a type of second skin (forget what its called), prep h (also works wonders on bags under your eyes..lol)..some say they put chalk in it. I guess it really just depends on you and what works for your body. You have alot of suggestions now you gotta see what one works for you. What works for one might not work for the other. Good luck in getting it under control and i hope all goes well.

I have heard soooo many things on what works, bag balm, tea bags, a type of second skin (forget what its called), prep h (also works wonders on bags under your eyes..lol)..some say they put chalk in it. I guess it really just depends on you and what works for your body. You have alot of suggestions now you gotta see what one works for you. What works for one might not work for the other. Good luck in getting it under control and i hope all goes well.

Sounds good, except for the chalk. Probably not a good, idea, since it would be unsanitary and dry the rip out. But who knows! Some people do odd things to rips... :rolleyes:

My daughter had problems with rips. They can be so painful. I usually keep them wrapped and moist with triple antibiotic ointment at night and just a bandaid during the day. Try to prevent future rips by keeping your calluses well moisturized with the best quality moisturizer you can get and also use a pumice stone or other exfoliator on your hands faithfully. I have her wash her hands thoroughly with soap and water before leaving the gym and then apply mositurizer to her hands when she gets in the car and again before bed. It seems to be working. No rips in a while when it used to be a week to week thing. Also, have your coach check your grips for fit, wear, snugness etc. Good luck.

Thanks! I think I'm gonna let these heal first, then take a pumice stone or whatever and use that on my hands. I have also found out that sleeping with Polysporin on them works wonders too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back