Rips!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone. I have states in 5 days, and have 3 rips on my hands! Who has good ways to heal them fast!? I've tried a few things, but nothing seems to be working! I'm desperate!! Thanks.

Hey!
Sorry about your hands. Dont worry, I got a HUGE blood blister the practice before state, I popped it that night and it was fine for state. Here is what I did. Air them out, then when you go to school wrap them. You should proabably use gauze, and then a layer of wrap. Put lotion or chapstick on them. Every chance you have air them out and put lotion/chapstick on. Soaking them in water with salt on them helps. It stings really badly but it helps your rips. I hope this helps!!!! Good luck at state!

Something called "Bag Balm" works wonders on this.

Look for the familiar green can with red clover on the lid. We’re in drugstores, farm stores, pet stores, hardware stores, feed stores, and tack shops all across the country.

Pros: Works great on dry, cracked, sore skin. Heals chapped lips quick.
Cons: Smells bad, very greasy.

Ok before you go ewwwww - It does work soooooo well!

Now its original use is on Cow udders before they milk the cows. They slather up the udders with this so the cows udders don't get chapped and cracked from the milking machine. BUT IT WORKS so great on rips and chapped skin. It works so great on those dry elbows and cracked heels too. Before you say UCK!! Try it its cheap only about $4 -$6 for a small can of the stuff and a little goes along way one small can will last along time.

Neosporen and band-aids! And covering the bandaged area with some tape, I had a HUGE rip on Friday, and its pretty well healed now. It looks bad, b/c it is still red, but it doesnt hurt at all anymore. Keep it moist!

A lot of people use tea bags on their rips.(Black tea) I got two rips last Monday, Tuesday morning they was still so sore I could barely touch them - two tea bags later, they were still a little sensitive, but I could almost forget I had ripped at all! *Note* It hurts a LOT!:yikes: (but then gets better :p)

A lot of people use tea bags on their rips.(Black tea) I got two rips last Monday, Tuesday morning they was still so sore I could barely touch them - two tea bags later, they were still a little sensitive, but I could almost forget I had ripped at all! *Note* It hurts a LOT!:yikes: (but then gets better :p)

My girls use tea bags too and it's really helped!

I recall a few athletes and parents also recommending Preparation-H for rips as an alternative to Bag Balm.

If I remember correctly, Bag Balm promotes a 'firm' layer of skin (epidermise), instead of one that is soft & overly tender. Since most gymnasts don't want "soft" feminine hands anyway, it does the trick.

Sleep with socks on your hands and put some damp teabags inside them. Remember to keep them clean- you do not want any infectededyness. Hugely impressive vocabulary there, I know LOL.

I recall a few athletes and parents also recommending Preparation-H for rips as an alternative to Bag Balm.

If I remember correctly, Bag Balm promotes a 'firm' layer of skin (epidermise), instead of one that is soft & overly tender. Since most gymnasts don't want "soft" feminine hands anyway, it does the trick.

LOL I haven't hears of Prep - H being used.

I don't know about a Firm layer of skin for the bag balm - I think it makes it soft but durable and works fast too. There have been many times I have put it on my DD's rips at night and in the AM the redness and pain are gone. For the bigger rips it can take a few nights.

Burt's Bees sells this stuff that is kinda oily but it works pretty well. You can put it on at night and it speeds up the healing.

I bought my daughter a bottle of new skin from the local pharmacy off the shelf in the band-aid section. She liked it and uses it whenever she needs to. I think it's pretty much just like crazy glue, in fact, it might be the original crazy glue. I believe that it was used during WWII for medical purposes, such as closing small wounds. I think that they discovered that it also stuck to just about everything else as well...

new-skin LIQUID

Wow thanks! I will have to try some of it! i own bag balm, but never use it because of how gross it is, but i will give it a try! I also tried a tea bag and neosporin. Both helped but not much (Mostly because i keep going on bars. I got another rip today..going on three before a state meet :( )

If yo have rips and are still practicing are you taping your hands before practice?

I use: Teabags as soon as I get home, new skin as soon as it is healed enough not to sting like crazy.

If you want to get fewer rips, wait until they have healed completely and then start putting surgical spirit on your hands every day (just where you get rips). It will make the skin harder and you'll have horrible hands, but it will stop the rips.

I used to have to use it on the tops of my toes when I did pointe work in ballet and it really works!

yeah i know this sounds really weird... but ive been told this before and it works!
1. soak it in pickle juice for about 10 minutes
2. soak it in salt water for about 10 minutes
3. (the weird part that i've heard) pee on it. okay i said it
4. put neosporin on it
5. air it out overnight
6. in the morning put preparation-H on it (another sort of weird part...)
7. wrap it in gauze or tape during the day and keep putting medicine on it

hey , i had a massive one right across the top of my palms and , i put them in salt water ,then rested teabags and then got my hairdryer put it on a colder setting and got lots of cold air to it !! also try really cold water!! ,it will hurt but the colder the better , a firm layer of skin will form , in no time !! :D
:)

I'll second the surgical spirit thing. Maybe it's a UK thing? :O
In my gym we put it on when we've ripped (indescribable pain but it hardens it up but then be sure to also moisturise it to keep it flexible :s or else it'll rip again...) and also just put it on regularly to harden/toughen up the skin and prevent rips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back