WAG Rips!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a gymnast that has naturally soft hands. Sadly, too soft, so they rip all the time. I've had over 20 rips while my teammates mostly have had 5-10. Any tips or products you can recommend would be very much appreciated. Thank you! :)

Don't use lotion! I have found that less contact with water helps too - shorter showers, less swimming, etc.

Moisturize only when your hands are very dry/cracked. Keeping them soft will just make you rip more.
I'm very prone to rips too - it never went away for me. Getting grips, and then dowel grips, did help, but I always ripped way more than my teammates. I actually noticed that I rip more when the seasons change - in the beginning of fall and the beginning of spring - maybe due to changes in air moisture.

So you might just have to deal.

Yes, when you get rips wash your hands with soap and water. When you get home, put a wet but squeezed out black tea bag on the rip with a plastic glove over it. Then put neosporin on over night. That usually does it for me. Honestly, you just need to learn to suck it up and deal; that is the only thing that truly worked for me. Palm guards on dowel grips could help but I still get rips occasionally.

Don't use lotion! I have found that less contact with water helps too - shorter showers, less swimming, etc.
For me, putting lotion on my hands once a day has helped! I used to rip every practice but after starting to use lotion I rarely rip anymore! My skin is rather dry to start with though so that's probably why. Not to mention that there is a lot of chlorine in our water most of the time!

oops... sorry... maybe I was wrong about the lotion? Idk, that is just what I thought, but I could be wrong

Thank you to everyone who replied!!!
I'm going to keep this thread open for anyone else who wants to reply. I will try these out! I have a few methods I know of if anyone would like to hear them. I created this thread so I could find some new methods to figure out what works best.

oops... sorry... maybe I was wrong about the lotion? Idk, that is just what I thought, but I could be wrong
If hands rip because they are too dry = yes, lotion
If hands are just soft, but not too dry = no lotion
It's all a matter of context.

When my gymmies get a rip, we wash it, trim the edges, then apply hand-e balm and a latex free (latex allergy) nitrile glove. If it is particularly bad, just before bed, the hand is washed again and neosporin is substituted for the hand-e balm.

Now that I think about it, my skin is naturally very dry. So lotion helps that but I can see if your hands are already pretty mosturized lotion would not be a good idea!

For my dd we use a pumice stone for callouses that are getting large/close to ripping and also when she has a rip and it's had a day or two to desensitize we use the pumice stone then as well to smooth the area over. Then we use Gold Bond healing lotion both before and after rips. I know some don't like lotion but it's made a world of difference for her. Best of luck to you, they aren't fun! Keep building those callouses and it will get better eventually! My dd went through a time of ripping every single week and not it's only occasionally.

My sister does rowing (yes, ) and gets rips all the time,and they are really bad. She uses corn huskers lotion on her hands when she rips and it seems to help them heal a lot faster. So, I know this post as a lot of "she says", but, that should at least help a little bit. And just so you know, her rips look a lot worse than normal rips, so the corn huskers lotion should help rips really well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back