Parents Rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I have taken a year or so break from gymnastics and have tryouts at 2 gyms soon, my mom got me grips so I can work bars at open gyms to keep up skills but when I was doing tap swings I got 2 big rips, one on each hand. My mom pushed back my tryouts a week to give healing time but they hurt very bad. One of them cracks often but you deep enough to bleed. It does crack so there is open skin though. If anybody has tips on how to heal them or how to help with pain I would love to hear them. I have tried black tea bags both soaked in ice water and hot, hand e balm, prep h, aqua-for, baby oil, hot water soaks, salt water soaks, Vaseline, vitamin e oil, plain lotion to keep moisturized, just leaving the rip, swimming in a pool to disinfect, washing hands with gentle soap, but nothing has really worked.

If you have to swing bars with a rip, make some tape grips to put on under your grips - they will help it hurt less.

The only thing that worked for me is keeping my rips wrapped up all day (and night) with a TON of Vaseline. No air was allowed to touch the rip.

At the gym, I would take two days off of bars, then tape up my hand for another two days. Usually by day four I was back in action.

So for this one rip i just drench it in Vaseline over night because it is on a crease in my hand so when I sleep and my hand curls up, the new skin forms like that then the next day when I straighten it, it cracks really deep. The drenching kinda works but not really because the new skin won’t form. I need to figure out how to let new skin grow on straight hand. Ugggh I hate rips.

The recipe my DD used was a twice a day treatment of black tea bags followed immediately by prep H. Also, file down or trim any loose flaps or snags of skin with a pumice stone, nail file or nail scissors. Sleep with gloves on. Can you take a few days off of bars?

So for this one rip i just drench it in Vaseline over night because it is on a crease in my hand so when I sleep and my hand curls up, the new skin forms like that then the next day when I straighten it, it cracks really deep. The drenching kinda works but not really because the new skin won’t form. I need to figure out how to let new skin grow on straight hand. Ugggh I hate rips.
When I had super bad rips that wouldn't heal I taped rulers or popsicle sticks - depending on what we had - from my middle finger down to my wrist. Kept my palm open and allowed it to heal. Also wear gloves overnight to protect it along with neosporin.

So my try out is the first and I can’t reschedule it because I already have and that would be rude. They are sort of healing up now.

The recipe my DD used was a twice a day treatment of black tea bags followed immediately by prep H. Also, file down or trim any loose flaps or snags of skin with a pumice stone, nail file or nail scissors. Sleep with gloves on. Can you take a few days off of bars?
So if I make the team, I don’t really know the coaches and am scared to ask if I can take time off bars with a rip because some coaches have an suck it up and deal with the pain philosophy and if they have other girls swinging with rips I don’t want to look like an baby.

I’m sooooooo nervous for my try out because there are girls who are mean to me for no reason at my school and call me a b Word and d*ckHead and everything and I dont want them to be mean to me on Wednesday or if I don’t do bars cuz of my rip I don’t want them to think I’m weak or something and also I’m not very conditioned and if I can’t keep up with the conditioning I don’t want them to think I’m weak and make fun of me at school the next day

My advice is to tune out the ‘noise’ of the other girls and just focus on yourself. Maybe do a short meditation when you wake up that morning to get in the zone and take a few breaths through out the day to refocus yourself when needed. You can’t control their actions but you can control your response to their name calling.

I wouldn’t worry about your lack of conditioning either. Overall current fitness is probably a secondary quality the coaches are looking for. What you can control is your attitude. Be positive and show a willingness to take any corrections they may give during the tryout. Make eye contact. Show a sincere interest in learning and wanting to improve. Be friendly and supportive towards the others trying out. Don’t worry if you can’t do everything that is asked of you and if you are uncomfortable with anything let them know your concerns and explain why. It may be a tryout for team but part of this is also them trying out for you! If the coaches are unreasonable or you don’t feel safe then that is a powerful realization for you to know now before committing to a team.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back