WAG RO TUCK

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

miaak_

Gymnast
I’ve been working on a Roundoff Tuck since January for tryouts around the middle of May and I have not been able to get it, and now I need it within a week.

I know everything i’m supposed to do, (pick my chest up fast in the roundoff & block my body at an angle so my feet behind me, rebound straight up with my head neutral and pull the shins over my head)

but my body just doesn’t do it. Instead I just arch and pull my knees over like I would in a back handspring and it’s getting frustrating.

Ive tried the pick a spot on the wall, rebound drill onto mats, the clap drill, etc and saw no changes.

How can I change this?

now I need it within a week.

You're not going to get it in a week, and you're going to injure yourself if you try. I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but this is a reality that you need to accept if you want to safely progress.

In the abstract, here's what I would do if I were coaching you in a facility with proper equipment:
First, I'd look at your roundoff, and probably your hurdle as well. With a good roundoff, you can do pretty much everything wrong on the back tuck and still make it over. Exactly what drills I'd use would depend on what it needs, but most problems can be solved by working extremely clean and technically correct cartwheels (perhaps to step-in) on a line, making sure the entry was square and the turn is as late as possible. No crooked hurdles, no cross-stepping.

As for the back tuck, I would work a number of drills involving a trampoline and/or a pit and/or a spotter, focusing on head position and visual cues. I did a bit of a breakdown in this thread: https://chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/round-off-handspring-tuck.67265/#post-608012

But I want to emphasize again that all of this takes time, and it takes a coach who can watch you and give you corrections in person. You are not going to get a back tuck in a week based on some tips from an internet forum.

Also, given that you made two threads asking almost the same question more than a year ago, I have to assume that what's holding you back on your back tuck has nothing to do with the back tuck itself. Most likely, you are lacking in strength. Fortunately, strength is something you CAN safely train at home! Specifically, you most likely need more strength in the abs, lower back, glutes, quads, and calves. There are many resources out there that can help you figure out ways to safely train these muscles at home.

But let me emphasize just one more time: if your current mindset is thinking that you need to take a skill -- one you've struggled with for more than a year -- and get it in a week, then you're already approaching this the wrong way.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back