Parents ROBHS question in level 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
My dd is 7 and is about to finish her level 3 season with her state meet a week from Sunday. She has had a great season overall with some great scores and high placements. I think she is doing great! I am asking this question just out of curiosity. I am not questioning her coach or her gym... :)

The one area that she seems to have a bit of struggle with is sticking her dismount on bars and sticking her rebound on the ROBHS. She knows about this and she and the coach have been working on it, but it hasn't changed much over the season. On her ROBHS rebound she tends to take an extra hop or something, it's hard to explain, but it's definitely not perfect. Her scores have all been in the 9.4-9.575 range and her coach thinks she is losing at least .1-.2 each meet on it. Her age group does have a lot of competition from a particular gym and one of the gymnasts who my dd seems to be competing most again (my dd tends to score 2nd to her 1st place) got a 9.825 on floor last weekend! I think this might be part of her coaches desire to have her try and raise her floor score at the state meet. My dd is at a good (in my opinion) gym with successful compulsaries and optionals. There goal is not to dominate at the lower levels, but to be competitive. Their main goal is to develop strong level 10's. I think her coach really just wants her to get the best score she can get and do the best that she can at the state meet..

Anyway, today she came back from practice and told me that her coach said she may have her compete at the state meet with a step hurdle ROBHS and not run at all. She had her try it today and she apparently stuck quite a few of them. She said her coach said her rebound when she runs has too much power and she can't control it enough. This is what my dd told me, I wasn't there at practice to see or hear anything. I didn't know this was an option. I haven't seen anyone compete without the run at any of the meets we've been to. Is this an option? Without any penalty? I'm surprised she would want to change it at the last meet.. seems like it might cause some confusion? Or do you think it's not really a big deal to change one for the other? Has anyone else's dd done this? I have no intention of questioning whatever my dd's coach tells her to do, so again this is just me being curious..

I do have videos of her floor routines if anyone is interested. I don't want to post the link for the world to see, but I'd be happy to share with anyone that asks.

Thanks!

It USED to be that the number of steps was prescribed (3), but that changed with the last routine changes. Now there are no specific number of steps required. I see so many little ones (on other teams) running half way across the floor and they end up with too much power to control the rebound (or they are too tired... especially if it is the last event of the night... and barely get the BHS around - and don't connect the rebound to it).

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad to hear that it's not unusual.

As long as she stays on the music, it's totally fine. FYI - those are amazing scores already and being able to raise them is more amazing.

Thanks! I know she is doing well and I don't want to sound like I am complaining about her scores at all. I will say that I think that scores in our area do seem to be higher than some of the other areas I've read about here in general. Whether it's because they are overscored or there are some talented girls here I don't know as I have no experience with any other state. But, for example, at a recent meet where my dd scored a 9.45 on floor she came in 5th place in her age group. I'm not worried about it though and that's partially why I was surprised that the coach would decide to change things now at the end of the season.

I'd probably go with more talented girls in your state than any other. lol

Good scores though.

We have our season start next weekend and can't wait!

In Colorado a 9.4 takes first in l3 for floor for the child group, but would take 5th for kids 9-10. My youngest has taken 1st with 9.4 and 9.65 , she is 7.

I'd probably go with more talented girls in your state than any other. lol

I definitely didn't say that and I don't think I implied it.

Wow, in Texas, a 9.4 would put you around 10th place depending on age group. It's amazing how states differ in scoring and placement.

Yes, we are definitely not in Texas. :) I know scores vary widely. I was really trying to say that even though a 9.4-9.5 sounds high to people in some states, that scores seems to skew higher here than some other states. I also suspect we have much fewer gymnasts than Texas and much smaller meets. Heck, most of the meets my dd attends only have 12 or so per age group! 10th place would be probably low 8's.

I wouldn't even begin to go there with scores.

Regarding steps, its experience. And L3 is more forgiving then L4 on say a BHS because they expect a L4 to have more experience then L3, less steps, cleaner finish.

My dd level 3 had difficulty sticking landing off bars ( & she's a bit duck footed!) and although I am no coach, it seemed like a simple fix/ just bend knees more on landing and stand up a little slower (I have no idea if she listened to me or if her coach did something else, but she got a 9.8 on bars next meet) * I was not trying to coach her, but it had been happening for 3 meets in a row- so I just told her- pls don't attack me CBers!!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back