WAG ROBHSBT/straight back advice...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Annikins

Proud Parent
Hi. Before I ask the question, please don't all say 'leave it to the coach' as I already know that is the standard advice. It is advice I follow most of the time (I haven't even watched a session for two months), but my dd is really struggling to understand where this is going wrong, so I'm looking for possible ideas/solutions.

She can do a standing back tuck on a low beam, and also off a small block, so she has the power. On the trampoline, she can do a bhs bt and a bhs straight back, with good shapes (according to her coach, not just me), so in those circumstances, has the technique. But...when she tries to do a run up, ro bhs straight back on the floor she just jumps backwards into her coach's arms into a sort of flat back position, rather than initiating any rotation at all - I'm not sure why.

She is only 7, and she also can't work out why she does it fine on the trampoline, but then suddenly completely changes her technique when she does it on the floor. Ideas please? She has never learned a ro bhs bt combo by the way, she went straight to straight back. Do you think this would help? Is it possibly a co-ordination problem from adding in the run up and ro? We had a bit of a chat today and after that, I'm wondering if it's possible she sort of ends up feeling too much power and a bit out of control with it, so sort of doesn't go for it? Maybe taking out the run up for a while might help?

Thanks!

I know for my DD, jumping onto the coaches shoulder then pulling her hips up was an actual drill that she did for a long time, before she ever flipped a tuck for real on the floor. Are you sure this is even a problem and not a planned drill from an experienced coach?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I know the drill you mean, but no, she is supposed to be rotating it. The more I think about it though, the fact she can do a standing one makes me think she is just feeling a bit out of control after doing the ro bhs, so doesn't go for it properly. I think maybe knowing what the problem is might be the first step to solving it!

Learning that first backwards salto skill is a big thing. I have seen a lot of kids who have all of the prerequisites and should be able to do a ro-bhs-tuck/layout with no problem really struggle with putting it all together. It's a lot to think about and figure out all at once, and yes, the feeling of tumbling into a salto and doing one standing is very different. It just takes time, and how much time varies greatly from one child to the next. The good news is, one day she'll go into the gym and something will "click" and all will be well.

Thanks coachmolly, that's what I'm hoping! It's good to know she's not the only one who struggles to put it together. I am not a gymnast, and I would have thought it was easier when you had the extra speed from the ro bhs, but it seems like it is a case of 'putting it all together'.

My dd has always had a hard time putting it all together. When she was learning ROBHS, she needed to do a pause between the 2-then when learning ROBHSBT same thing. She could do lovely standing BT, but struggled putting it together. Her coaches were patient and knew that she had good technique and that it would come. She told me she thought it was more mental for her. She knew she could do it, just didn't have the confidence in herself. She now does them nicely! I have no suggestions, but wanted you to know you are not alone. She will get there!

My DD is just getting this now after a few months....the RO-BHS-BT on floor despite being able to do the series on tumble track and a BT off a block for several months now. I think she had a tough time changing her muscle memory from the years of doing RO-BHS-BHS-BHS-ETC where they are trained to extend back, and now all of sudden has to jump up and tuck. She just turned 8 and I noticed that the 9-10 year olds got the combination quicker. Maybe they have more fine tuned muscle control at this age?

Thank you both! It is really helpful to know others had this problem. I think co-ordination isn't her best point actually, whereas she is powerful, so I guess in a way it makes sense that she can do one move in isolation, but harder to string a few together... At least they got there in the end - that's encouraging!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back