MAG Roll out skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

LindyHopper

Proud Parent
Coming from the WAG side, I don't see a lot of roll out skills on floor.

I've noticed a lot of them in the Olympics in Men's routines. Why are they there? What is their purpose. What do they demonstrate? I'm genuinely curious.

I think the women used to do them, but they were banned (safety) There was talk of banning them on the mens side as well for safety reasons, neck injuries etc. My favourite is Dan Purvis who does a straight leg roll out.

Google elena mukhina. That's why women aren't allowed to to them in the code.

Having said that these days with sprung floors and more power, the likes of simone biles etc could probably do them easily. Not worth it though.

They are beautiful to watch when done well, but I am very glad they are going away. I was actually a bit surprised to see that Max Whitlock was fit to compete yesterday. And what went a little wrong for him in the AA final easily could have gone far worse.

And now that they are going away, USAG, you could take the stupid dive roll out of the Future Stars/tech sequence routines. Just sayin'.

In the current (old) code there were 5 element groups: front, side, back, non-acrobatic, and dismount.

The side element group included arabians, roll-outs, etc. By doing a roll out you might avoid landing deductions, but there are still requirements for how those skills are supposed to finish. In the new code of points the side element group was eliminated - which I'm ok with.

Something I saw on the women's side that was disappointing and I hope changes is the lack of required diversity in tumbling passes. Simone did a full twisting double layout, a half twisting double layout, a double twisting double tuck, and a full twisting double tuck. It was absolutely amazing and beautiful. However, I was much more impressed with the diversity of Aly's passes which included about as much diversity of skills as imaginable. If they were competing in the men's code Aly's floor routine filled all the element groups, while Simone was missing two (front and side). I don't mean to take anything away from Simone, or suggest that she couldn't do it, but rather I just think it's interesting how different the code of points is for each gender.

Simaril, Simone clearly uses her strengths in floor. I've heard others complain about her lack of diversity in high skills. Interestingly, Nastia got similar complaints. She relied on twisting to get difficulty and never included double saltos in her floor routines.

Reactions: sce
I think the men should be made to do leaps and jumps and turns. It would be amusing.

I just wish it was set to music. :) At least chosen music. It was rough when we were at a competition with girls who all had to use the same song. LOL.

I once saw a male gymnast do a floor routine to music and it was awesome. He wasn't American or Japanese, but I don't know where he was from. If I remember right, he was wearing cut off shorts or something like that, so it wasn't a formal competition. But it was still cool.

Women's code requires both front and back tumbling(under current code single skill can fulfill requirement like Simone's front aerial), a twisting element with at least one full twist and a double salto(Nastia did a FHS double front year of O's but I am not sure the double salto was required her quad because I am fairly certain she didn't always do one during her elite career).

They are beautiful to watch when done well, but I am very glad they are going away. I was actually a bit surprised to see that Max Whitlock was fit to compete yesterday. And what went a little wrong for him in the AA final easily could have gone far worse.

And now that they are going away, USAG, you could take the stupid dive roll out of the Future Stars/tech sequence routines. Just sayin'.
The girls had a dive roll in old Level 5. After seeing so many bad ones, I was glad it was removed from the compulsory routine (although we have had a couple gymnasts that still have beautiful dive rolls).

Does anyone know why they are still in the FS routines? I was really surprised to see our kids practicing dive rolls last week after hearing they'd been eliminated.

Google elena mukhina. That's why women aren't allowed to to them in the code.

Having said that these days with sprung floors and more power, the likes of simone biles etc could probably do them easily. Not worth it though.

this is NOT how Elena got hurt. doing them easily is not the issue.
these are now banned after Rio.
to clarify, the anything "Thomas". simple dive rolls are not included.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back