Parents Roster cuts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BadgerGirl

Proud Parent
I'm hopeful for some advice from you helpful seasoned team Moms! We moved across the country and my 8 year old did evaluation at gym here in Virginia. They asked her to be on the level 3 team. So she started in September. The first few weeks were hard for her body to adjust from 4 hours at her old gym to 12 hours here. She was also was behind everyone else learning the routines and some new skills.
She had her first meet today and I was proud of her. However her scores were low, I expected they would be. She is now worried she will be "kicked off" the team for her scores. Is that something that happens with teams?
I'm new to team gymnastics and have tried to lurk here for a while. I just wondered if in general teams make "cuts". The gym doesn't seem to want us to communicate much with the coaches. I just feel bad tonight that's she's worried. She works hard and has a good attitude if that counts?!

Thank you!

I'm hopeful for some advice from you helpful seasoned team Moms! We moved across the country and my 8 year old did evaluation at gym here in Virginia. They asked her to be on the level 3 team. So she started in September. The first few weeks were hard for her body to adjust from 4 hours at her old gym to 12 hours here. She was also was behind everyone else learning the routines and some new skills.
She had her first meet today and I was proud of her. However her scores were low, I expected they would be. She is now worried she will be "kicked off" the team for her scores. Is that something that happens with teams?
I'm new to team gymnastics and have tried to lurk here for a while. I just wondered if in general teams make "cuts". The gym doesn't seem to want us to communicate much with the coaches. I just feel bad tonight that's she's worried. She works hard and has a good attitude if that counts?!

Thank you!

We have been a part of teams that unfortunately did make cuts, but we were always aware of that possibility up front. What seems more common is that gyms will make shifts. Girls that they don’t feel measure up for whatever reason will be shifted to Xcel. Many gyms will do neither and once you’re on team your position is safe. If you’re going with odds I would guess her team wouldn’t make cuts. Sometimes no news is good news too- if they had a problem with her performance you would likely hear about it.

We have been a part of teams that unfortunately did make cuts, but we were always aware of that possibility up front. What seems more common is that gyms will make shifts. Girls that they don’t feel measure up for whatever reason will be shifted to Xcel. Many gyms will do neither and once you’re on team your position is safe. If you’re going with odds I would guess her team wouldn’t make cuts. Sometimes no news is good news too- if they had a problem with her performance you would likely hear about it.
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. They never mentioned the policy if there is one but joining late, I'm sure I missed some information.

I would think that since she's been on the team for less than a month they wouldn't "cut" her based on one competition. They knew what her skill level was once she started. They knew she had just made a cross country move and had a pretty significant increase in practice hours. I'm sure they see her potential and that was not erased by low scores at this one meet.

It is unlikely they will cut her from the team. They may move her down a level if they feel she will do better there and she has more time to perfect the skills for L3 for next season. Most likely though, they will keep her where she is and work through the season with her. If her scores don't improve considerably they may have her repeat the level. Is this a high scoring powerhouse gym?

It is unlikely they will cut her from the team. They may move her down a level if they feel she will do better there and she has more time to perfect the skills for L3 for next season. Most likely though, they will keep her where she is and work through the season with her. If her scores don't improve considerably they may have her repeat the level. Is this a high scoring powerhouse gym?
I'm embarrassed to say I don't know if her gym is? I get the impression it's well known in this area. Another mother said they've had girls make it to Olympic teams so I'd guess so?
My daughter enjoys it and works hard. So for her sake I'd hope they work with her. Her beam was really the only score that I think was really low, but again, I'm obviously new to everything. Thanks again for the feedback!

Her coaches see her at practice for 12 hours a week, they had a slight idea of how she would score. I'm sure she did great with her first competition with her new team. I found with my DD, scoring low at a few meets lit a fire under her and made her work her butt off. Maybe the slight fear your DD has will be a positive thing.

She's level 3...I would hope that the gym would at least be encouraging to her after only being there a month, on top of a cross country move and a big bump in gym hours. If you have a team handbook, you could peruse that to see if there's any type of policy but I would think that would be spelled out to you upon signing up at the gym.

It's reeeeeally early in the year and she's been there less than two months. Compulsory states around here aren't until late spring. Honestly, put any worries out of your mind right now and just continue helping your daughter adjust to all the major changes that have just happened in her life. They have put her on the team and nothing about her status will change for the season, given a decent work ethic. Was she L3 at her previous gym or is she new to team? If she moved from rec to L3 only a few months ago and only just started working on putting L3 skills into routines, they are probably delighted with her progress.

Also, "scored low" is a relative term. What one gym or parent might view as low another would see as good. It just depends on what the expectation is based on the gymnasts around her. It sounds like you are in a high caliber gym so teammate score will naturally be higher than at other gyms.

I would think you would be fine for this season, at the end of the season they may keep her on level 3 another year or suggest Excel if they think that will be a better path for her. I know our gym has a wide range of scores for level 3 and I don't think they really "cut" anyone at that level---if they move you to the level you are set--its just moving beyond it you have to improve.

Have you asked her why she is worried about that? Did the coaches say something to her or the team in general about cuts? If no one has said anything, then just encourage her to keep working hard and performing her best. If someone has said something, then I would follow-up with the coaches to get more information.

It's reeeeeally early in the year and she's been there less than two months. Compulsory states around here aren't until late spring. Honestly, put any worries out of your mind right now and just continue helping your daughter adjust to all the major changes that have just happened in her life. They have put her on the team and nothing about her status will change for the season, given a decent work ethic. Was she L3 at her previous gym or is she new to team? If she moved from rec to L3 only a few months ago and only just started working on putting L3 skills into routines, they are probably delighted with her progress.
She wasn't on team before this. I've been focused on helping her adjust to new school and house so I've stayed out of gymnastics aside from being encouraging. Thank you!

Have you asked her why she is worried about that? Did the coaches say something to her or the team in general about cuts? If no one has said anything, then just encourage her to keep working hard and performing her best. If someone has said something, then I would follow-up with the coaches to get more information.
She said she's worried that her teammates will be upset, she thinks they're frustrated that she's behind. I don't know, the dynamics between 8 year old girls there. I'm sure part of it is her joining a group that has been together before her arrival. Nothing is spelled out in the parent information they gave me and I just didn't want to assure her she wouldn't be kicked off if that's a common thing in gymnastics. Thanks for input.

Also, "scored low" is a relative term. What one gym or parent might view as low another would see as good. It just depends on what the expectation is based on the gymnasts around her. It sounds like you are in a high caliber gym so teammate score will naturally be higher than at other gyms.
She had high 8's on floor and vault. A high 7 on bars but her beam was a low 6. I didn't see any scores higher than 9.2. This was my first meet as well but another girl had a low 6 and her mom was close to tears. I thought that was an away over the top reaction of her but it was enough to let me know it's not a great score! Lol! Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for taking the time. It's a very nice gym so I hope I didn't give any impression otherwise. I haven't had much if any interaction with coaches but my daughter likes them and at this point that's good enough for me! I was just curious if most gyms change out girls based on meet scores.

She had high 8's on floor and vault. A high 7 on bars but her beam was a low 6. I didn't see any scores higher than 9.2. This was my first meet as well but another girl had a low 6 and her mom was close to tears. I thought that was an away over the top reaction of her but it was enough to let me know it's not a great score! Lol! Thanks again.

She's doing great for having just started out. Really. I bet she fell on beam, possibly more than once? She'll figure it out. Please stick around -- I'm excited to hear how she progresses this year. Encourage her to relax and trust the process. I think it can take some kids and parents some time to get used to competing. The kids on the bottom at the first meet aren't always on the bottom by the last meet, and even if they are, as you'll hear repeatedly, gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint. In a way, it's a little easier down the road for the kids who aren't winning everything right at the beginning, because they learn much earlier to set intrinsic goals for making skills/routines rather than chasing particular placements or scores. Intrinsic goals will get them much further in this sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back