Coaches Rotation length for rec?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

blue_5678

Coach
Gymnast
How long are your rotations for rec? Particularly kids aged 10 and under.

At my gym, they're 15 minutes for an hour class. However, if the class is 1.5 or 2 hours, they're 30 minutes. If I have really young kids, I find that they struggle to do the same thing for half an hour, so I try to change up the stations after 15 minutes. Still, I find that 30 minutes per event is just too long when they're that young (and still in rec!!)

15 minutes rotations for our 60 and 90 minute classes. It's too short. 20 minute rotations are much better, but harder for scheduling since all our team rotations are multiples of 15 (30 or 45 min).

Our two hour advance rec classes do 30 min rotations. I usually break the rotation into about 10 minutes of something all together (basic walks on beam, line basics on floor, running drills on vault, strength challenges on bars) and then 20 minutes for stations/drills.

For our 60 minute rec classes we do a 15min warm up including cardio and for advanced classes extended flexibility. We then do 2x 20minute rotations as we find 15minutes isn't long enough. Leaving 5 mins at the end for cool down and certificates for passing badges :)

Within our 20 minute rotation we spend about 5 mins doing the absolute basics and then 15 mins of drills/side stations and main activities varying depending upon the ability of the group.

Our advanced rec have 2x 1 hour sessions. So we do a 10 minute warm up. Then a 25-30min rotation on one piece and a 20-25 min rotation on the other.
Generally across the 2 sessions we get 3 pieces plus a proper conditioning rotation done or 4 pieces and a shorter conditioning rotation. Normally due to the level of vaulting we are doing vault/conditioning alternate.

With the really young ones in our beginners group (aged 5-6 average but some older ones) we try to do 3 15 minute rotations as they get bored easily and don't have as many skills to work on for each piece

We do 15 min warm up and then 3 x 15 min stations for ages 4-5 and then the beginning and intermediate rec kids (no matter what age). If they want more time in the gym they can sign up for two classes a week - a few kids do that. We rarely have kids aged 10 and under in the more advanced 1-2 hr rec classes - if they are that advanced at that age, they're probably on team. I know the 1.5 hr pre-team class (age 5-7) does a lot of games and switching it up during each rotation to keep the kids engaged. I.e. they will work on skills and drills stations for 15 min on bars, and then do 15 min of strength contests that are related to bars skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back