WAG Round off handspring tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastics

Gymnast
Hi everyone. I can do a round off backhand spring back tuck, but I always have an archy one. I know it’s because I am afraid that I won’t make it over... although when I do a round of handspring set it is high enough. I am pretty tall for a gymnast though. Also, I am floppy. I try to tighten myself but I just can’t, even with all the conditioning I do. And, my legs are slightly apart and my knees are pretty bent. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I had around the same problem. I would do amazing roundoff back handspring but my tuck always had bad form and was low. I would try doing drills for just the tuck and once that starts looking good you could try doing the ROBHS tuck on to a soft mat to work on height.

I had around the same problem. I would do amazing roundoff back handspring but my tuck always had bad form and was low. I would try doing drills for just the tuck and once that starts looking good you could try doing the ROBHS tuck on to a soft mat to work on height.
How do you get over the fear of setting then tucking and not just tucking once you begin the back tuck?

Lots of practice on the ROBHS. you can also have a coach spot you till you get the feeling of setting first. I've had a gym that would have the gymnast flip over a wedge mat, but I thing that is a little scary for some people.

Thank you so much! Also, I can’t seem to tuck 90 degrees or less- it’s always usually knees bent a lot. It also happens with my front tucks. I am tall, but how can I fix that to fix how fast I tuck, etc? I appreciate it.

It’s all in the drills. Here’s a good one for both the set and the shape of the tuck. Notice how she drives her shins in the rotation rather than throwing her chest or shoulders back. Also try the RO BHS and having your coach lift you into the rebound. At this point think “set,” or have your coach say it, as you reach your arms up by your ears and you keep your head neutral, focusing forward.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back