WAG Round off, hollow body position?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This sort of touches on my last question. I am trying to work on the round off. During the gymnastics round off,
(a) should a person get into a "hollow body position", which includes sucking in/squeezing the abs and squeezing the glutes?
(b) if so, when should an athlete start the hollow body position of squeezing the glutes? When the hands are still on the ground like the first picture below? Or when their hands are off the ground, and they are in mid air? When is a good location timing if any?

1647276033335.png

1647276197075.png

Attachments

• 1647276094508.png
    1647276094508.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 18
anyone know answer for this?
I am not an expert.. but in the two images posted in a gym- do you see how she is piking down? That shouldn't be happening.
The legs are not super squeezed
Also look at how the arms are forward instead of up.

I'd say:
- Block harder and faster
- Lunge bigger
- squeeze legs
- close legs a little later

I have to say... while we do teach a "hollow" and make the athletes strong in this position... we really don't do much of it in the round off. We definitely teach our athletes to pike. See the image of Simone in a round off below...

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 10.37.53 AM.png

The difference is going to be the amount of power and the timing of the snap in the first place. You will notice that Simone doesn't snap until after she has passed vertical.

I think "hollow" is a position that tends to get emphasized more than necessary. The goal is just to get the feet scooped under far and fast, and while this uses the same muscles that you use for a hollow, I think focusing on getting the feet in front tends to produce better results than aiming specifically for a hollow position.

I think the easiest way to learn the landing of a roundoff properly is to learn a backhandspring first. It seems kind of backwards, but the correct positions are much more intuitive in a backhandspring, which then makes them more intuitive in a roundoff.

Rather than trying to explain the landing positions by text, I'm gonna link to a video of a clinic I did at woodward a couple years back which focused almost entirely on optimizing the landing position for roundoffs and backhandsprings:

I think the easiest way to learn the landing of a roundoff properly is to learn a backhandspring first. It seems kind of backwards, but the correct positions are much more intuitive in a backhandspring, which then makes them more intuitive in a roundoff.

100% agree.

I love Woodward... haven't been there in a long time.

The video I linked in the other thread is basically the same approach we take on roundoffs. We also teach everyone to whip as soon as possible too... seems to help greatly with the roundoff as well.

At about 3 minutes... all the rolling into BHS...

To piggyback off this roundoff form thread-

Two of the gymnasts I am coaching roundoff with their feet apart in the landing, which was not noticeable until they connected it with their back-handsprings behind it (think squatting from roundoff into their back-handspring). The other coach and I stopped that connection on spring floor, although they have it strong, until they fix their roundoff form so we are not encouraging bad habits. So far we have been doing roundoffs with good form, pause, backhandspring, and they have fine form in that. Same for power hurdle ro bhs, but then they run into it and boom, feet apart, knees bent. Anyone have drill ideas, or any ideas at all, to fix this?

To piggyback off this roundoff form thread-

Two of the gymnasts I am coaching roundoff with their feet apart in the landing, which was not noticeable until they connected it with their back-handsprings behind it (think squatting from roundoff into their back-handspring). The other coach and I stopped that connection on spring floor, although they have it strong, until they fix their roundoff form so we are not encouraging bad habits. So far we have been doing roundoffs with good form, pause, backhandspring, and they have fine form in that. Same for power hurdle ro bhs, but then they run into it and boom, feet apart, knees bent. Anyone have drill ideas, or any ideas at all, to fix this?
I'd look for intermediate steps between doing it from a power hurdle and doing it from a run.

How's it look from a fall-step? One step and a hurdle? Two steps and a hurdle? etc

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back