DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymk8nyc

Gymnast
So, I got my roundoff back handspring back tuck at the end of October 2019. I did really amazing ones throughout November. I was very confident with them, had tons of height and power, and they were amazing. At my inter-squad meet in November the pass was perfect!
I continued doing them throughout December and January, and now it seems rare that I do a good one... I am much more afraid of them and can't even imagine doing one with the stress of my floor music. This is pretty devastating since my first meet of the season is in 2 weeks, and I am having pretty sudden mental blocks and am underperforming on my pass for some reason.

Go back to the basics and to the drills which helped you learn the skill in the first place : is your round off good ? what about your ro-bhs ? If they are not, go back to those skills and relearn them. If it's the back tuck, same story : go back to drills (ro-bhs to set to candlestick, perfect back tucks on trampoline, etc.).
If it's only a confidence issue (which IMO is unlikely in your case), do a lot of ro-bhs-bt into the pit or into a surface you feel confident on (with a spot, with mats...) but never sacrifice the technique.
I know it's frustrating to take it slow, especially so since your competition isn't far away, but it's better to fix your technique right now before it becomes a bas habit.

It is normal to have mental blocks. My daughter is a freshman in college and she has several teammates who currently have mental blocks on skills they’ve been doing for more than five years. So, don’t be too hard on yourself. Take it a bit slower. What are you having difficulty on? Are your fears about going backwards? Break down the skills. Then connect them slowly.

Me too i broke my arm doing a back tuck on trampoline and now am super scared!:oops:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back