WAG Roundoff handspring tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

miaak_

Gymnast
So, ive been working on my roundoff handspring tuck, and whenever I go for the tuck after the handspring, I just end up doing a really high back handspring. I do drills 4 days a week at my gym and I have it on a trampoline. Any tips?

There are many possibilities, and it's impossible to say which is the issue without seeing a video. From what you're describing, my best guess is that your backhandsprings aren't stretched out enough and your back tuck is not setting upward properly, but again this is only a guess. This being the case, I can give you some general tips to improve RO-BHS-BT:

1) Backhandsprings. Lots of backhandsprings. If you have access to a safe place (preferably spring floor or softer -- tumbletrak or rod floor is perfect), work on rows of 3 or more backhandsprings in a row, starting from a stand (ie no roundoff). Aim to make each backhandspring as long as possible. This is the most important thing to work on; if you have clean and efficient backhandsprings, you can do almost everything wrong on the back salto and still make it over with no problem.

2) Standing BHS, rebound forward. In other words, your rebound should land in front of where your BHS landed. If you have tumbletrak access, put a 4- or 8-inch mat on the tumbletrak, and do BHS off the end of the mat, rebound forward onto the mat (see 0:24 in this video: ). This is to practice getting your feet behind you, deflecting your momentum upward instead of continuing backward.

3) Back tucks on trampoline, taking off with arms up and head neutral. Pay attention to what you see as you flip; you should see the wall in front of you, then see your knees come up between you and the wall, then watch your knees rotate up towards the ceiling, and ONLY THEN should you allow your head to go back to look for the landing. This serves two purposes: first, it reinforces using visual cues (which is important with any flipping skill, and gets more and more important the higher a level you reach); second, it reinforces good takeoff technique without the head going back.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY: this is not a skill you should be training at home without a coach. Please only work on it in a proper facility with a qualified coach. If your coach says something that conflicts with what I'm saying, it's best to assume that your coach is right and I am wrong.

So, ive been working on my roundoff handspring tuck, and whenever I go for the tuck after the handspring, I just end up doing a really high back handspring. I do drills 4 days a week at my gym and I have it on a trampoline. Any tips?
For me when I was learning it my problem was I was pushing my butt out, so make sure you stretch your back handspring out and focus on reaching up and not sticking your butt out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back