DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Well, I guess I will start some threads since nobody else feels like talking yet.

Women used to perform 1/2 ons and men used to do roundoff vaults. Now that we are using the vault table, are women switching to roundoff vaults or are they still doing 1/2 ons?

EDIT: This post is referring to the hand placement in a traditional "tsuk" style vault...not yurchenko vaults.

Last edited:
Vaults

Hi
Women are doing both half on and round-off vaults.
They can perform either.
Megan

Vaults

Most gymnasts choose the vault that they can perform the best, and get the highest starting value from. I think it also has to do with a Coach's preference.

I compete half-on full-offs and they work really well, at least for Highschool Gymnastics. I twist better than I flip, and I've found Tsuks really hard and frustrating, so instead of a flipping vault I'm working towards the 1/2 on 1 1/2 off.
So yes, as everyone else has already said, half-ons are still in. XD

Half-ons and Tsuks tend to be used at the Level 8 level then as the gymnast reaches level 9 there seem to be more round-off entry vaults. It typically depends on the gymnast, which one they are better at doing, which one offers a higher start value, and which one they prefer. I personally did both Tsuks and Yurchankos and although I loved doing both, I preferred yurchankos more (round-off entry).

I had the same question as tough gymnast, but I think I might possibly understand from Hammy's post. Is a half-on the beginning part of a tsuk, and a round off vault is the beginning part of a yurchenko? Is that anywhere near correct?

I thought the old women's equivalent of a men's round off was called a 1/4 on 1/4 off??
The yurchenko roundoff entry was invented after my time, and seems a much harder thing. Is there such a thing as a yurchenko start without the sault at the end? Or I that what's meant here as a roundoff??

Our level 6 program has a 1/4 on 1/4 off, which is pretty much a roundoff. They can actually land facing either way, however.

It is not a bad progression to a 1/2 on 1/2 off, especially if taught facing out rather than in, like a round off.

There was a difference?

I also was going to ask the same thing that tough gymnast asked! I always thought 1/2 ons and roundoffs on vault meant the same thing. I was reading this thread and I was amazed that they are two separate things! So what is the true difference? Would you by any chance have a video of a round off on vault? At my gym we learn 1/2 ons and so do my friends' gyms too!

...I always thought 1/2 ons and roundoffs on vault meant the same thing. I was reading this thread and I was amazed that they are two separate things! So what is the true difference? ...
I really thought the only dif was the position of the hands when they contact the vault (ie: sideways or else fingers facing fully back from the direction you came)??

Our level 6 program has a 1/4 on 1/4 off, which is pretty much a roundoff. They can actually land facing either way, however.
It is not a bad progression to a 1/2 on 1/2 off, especially if taught facing out rather than in, like a round off.

Wouldn't a 1/4-1/4 vault that ended up facing out (rather than in like a roundoff) be regarded as a "fake in fake out" since they'd effectively have just done a handspring with hands contacting the vault turned sideways as if they'd intended to twist (but then changed their minds). And ditto (but a bigger error) if they did this as a half-half?!

I thought the old women's equivalent of a men's round off was called a 1/4 on 1/4 off??
The yurchenko roundoff entry was invented after my time, and seems a much harder thing. Is there such a thing as a yurchenko start without the sault at the end? Or I that what's meant here as a roundoff??

If done correctly, the yurchenko entry can help generate a bit more snap into the vault and is technically easier (I use the term loosely) than the 1/2 on all be it much more frightening.
If I recall correctly the yurchenko / round off entry is one of the main reasons the vault table was developed to replace the horse as it is much harder to injure yourself on the table than the horse.

As far as the original question in the thread, women do both. At our gym we try to help the gymnast decide which works best for them. :D

The difference between a 1/4 to 1/4 and a 1/2 on 1/2 off is mainly in the hand placement.

1/4 plus a 1/4 equals a half turn. 1/2 plus 1/2 equals a full turn.

So with the 1/4 to 1/4 hands are side on like a roundoff, and gymnast lands usualy like a roundoff (although we are permitted to land either forward or backward).

With the 1/2 on 1/2 off the hands need to face completely square (opposite direction to handspring) then block off to turn 1/2 again to face forward.

In learning a 1/2 on 1/2 off the gymnast will usually progress through the 1/4 to 1/4 (landing facing out) to the 1/2 on 1/2 off as they get better at placing their hands over the line that we draw on the table, and get better at twisting. It is for this reason I prefer that they learn a 1/4 to 1/4 facing out rather than in, as it is a better progression toward a 1/2 on 1/2 off.

Hope this makes sense.

With my boys, I teach a 1/4-1/4 (landing facing out) to kaz-type twisters (ie left-footed roundoff and left twist) and a roundoff or 1/2 on to tsuk-type twisters (ie left-footed roundoff and right twist).

More and more, I find myself tending towards not teaching a tsuk at all to kaz-type twisters, opting instead to teach them a kaz-front (1/4 on, 1/4 out, front tuck -- more like a tinsica than a roundoff.)

I was just looking up the first thread on the forum...here it is (actually this is thread #2...thread #1 was just a test post that I deleted).

Anyways...when reading through this post...I was not referring to Yurchenko style vaults. I was referring to the hand placement of a traditional "tsuk" style vault.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back