WAG routine help! A or B skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

estella

I was looking at drills and skills and other websites but nowhere found really good sources of bar skills with their difficulties.

I would say I have all L6 bar skills.

Now I want to do some more skills and I was thinking about what would be the best (not too hard and suitable for a 5'3'' 21-year old) to learn.
I need to make my own routine just for fun (I am not in the JO program of course!) and I am pretty helpless at the moment.

Those are the skills I already have:

glide kip
sole circle
squat on
long hang kip
baby giant
free hip (not completely to handstand yet)#
giants (still little scary though)
tuck dismount and flyaway.

Those are the skills I would say suit best and I want to choose from:

-Toeshoot
-Overshoot (also called bail)
-Stalder
-Free hip to handstand
- 1/2 pirouette

I urgently want to do a stalder, I think this is one of the greatest skills, I love how it looks!!!
I also want to do the free hip to handstand, because I almost have it!
And the 1/2 pirouette is great as well I think.

Hmmm....I like all of them!

Can you tell me if they are A or B skills and which one you would recommend to learn?
Maybe you can even give me a routine?

Thanks!

I think all the skills you have are A's besides the giant and free hip. Giant's are B's. Free hip above horizontal is a B, and a free hip to handstand is a C. I'm not sure of the values of the other skills, but I think stalders and pirouettes look great as well. An interesting routine would be:
Face the lowbar with your back to the high bar. Do a kip, free hip to handstand, half pirouette, kip to imidiate squat on(or a toe shoot. If that's what I think it is, it would look great), high bar kip, giant, stalder, baby giant, fly away

I was looking at drills and skills and other websites but nowhere found really good sources of bar skills with their difficulties.

I would say I have all L6 bar skills.

Now I want to do some more skills and I was thinking about what would be the best (not too hard and suitable for a 5'3'' 21-year old) to learn.
I need to make my own routine just for fun (I am not in the JO program of course!) and I am pretty helpless at the moment.

Those are the skills I already have:

glide kip
sole circle
squat on
long hang kip
baby giant
free hip (not completely to handstand yet)#
giants (still little scary though)
tuck dismount and flyaway.

Those are the skills I would say suit best and I want to choose from:

-Toeshoot
-Overshoot (also called bail)
-Stalder
-Free hip to handstand
- 1/2 pirouette

I urgently want to do a stalder, I think this is one of the greatest skills, I love how it looks!!!
I also want to do the free hip to handstand, because I almost have it!
And the 1/2 pirouette is great as well I think.

Hmmm....I like all of them!

Can you tell me if they are A or B skills and which one you would recommend to learn?
Maybe you can even give me a routine?

Thanks!
On the skills you already have, everything except the giant and the free hip above horizontal are As the other two are B.
The others circling elements you listed are Bs unless you get them to handstand and then they are C. The 1/2 pirouette is also a B.

A typical level 8 routine with those skills listed is kip cast handstand, 1/2 pirouette , free hip handstand , squat on jump to high bar, free hip handstand giant giant layout flyaway.
Level 7 would typically take out the pirouette and not have the free hips to handstand, although some do.

Thanks for your replies and ideas!

What about this, would this be ok?

Kip on low bar with back facing high bar, handstand, 1/2 pirouette, stalder to handstand, toe shoot to high bar, kip cast handstand, free hip to handstand, giant giant, flyaway

I just started gymnastics a year ago so I doubt that I can do harder stuff like a bail! Is it a lot harder than a toe shoot?

Bails/ paks and other high-low releases are reaaaally hard. Maybe try a toe-hecht (toe-on release from low to high bar)? Are you comfortable with toe-ons? Would you want to try a harder dismount like toe-on front tuck?

Bails/ paks and other high-low releases are reaaaally hard. Maybe try a toe-hecht (toe-on release from low to high bar)? Are you comfortable with toe-ons? Would you want to try a harder dismount like toe-on front tuck?

Thank you!! That's what I wanted to know, because I don't know how, I have never tried them and have no one to ask!

A toe-hecht is really cool as well, I would go for this one then! Is it easier than a bail or pak?

For me, toe-hechts are definitely easier than bails or paks. It's also really easy to drill! Do you have a resi mat at your gym? If so, try putting it in front of the low bar and just training toe-on let go and fall to your stomach in a straddle

Oh and also try this routine:

(Starting facing away from high bar) Kip cast 1/2 pirouette
Freehip to HS
Toe-on to HS
Toe-hecht to high bar
Giant giant
Layout dismount/Toe-on Front tuck dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back