Parents Rules about gymnastics camps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mai_lin

Proud Parent
Does your gym have rules about camps? I signed up my L3 for IGC next summer and it will be her first gym camp. I sent a note to her coach asking for her thoughts and she said it'd be overwhelming for her and they don't want the girls doing camps when they get to optionals (she's 8). We've been doing overnight camps for a few years now so I'm not worried about that aspect of it and I think she'd LOVE the gymnastics aspect of it, obviously.

So I signed her up.

But I got thinking about what we'll do when she's in optionals... no camp? That makes me sad as my girls have always looked forward to camp in the summer and adding gymnastics to that is her dream come true.

Does your gym have a rule about camps?

We aren't allowed to send them to any camps (other than anything at the ranch they're invited to i.e. TOPs) but summer camp at the ranch, or any other place, not allowed. For anyone, regardless of level.

Yes our gym has rules. No gymnastics camps unless a coach from our gym is going with them or it's a college camp after they have their level 10 skills for recruiting purposes.

Yes our gym has rules. No gymnastics camps unless a coach from our gym is going with them or it's a college camp after they have their level 10 skills for recruiting purposes.

This for us too.

They do make exceptions for lower level compulsories sometimes but only with permission from the coach and no no no to igc or Woodward or overnight camps like that.

Regular overnight camp with no gymnastics is fine, but if you don't go during break week then, well, that's a choice, and at the optional level, a frowned upon one.

I want to clarify that our rules apply specifically to gymnastics camps....regular sleep-away camp, that's our choice. Just means they'll miss a week of summer gymnastics...dun dun dun.

For DS, his coach doesn't *love* it; but says that if it is approached as fun summer camp where you aren't taking a week off of conditioning, then he can deal with it. I get the impression that he would rather DS actually not get new skills at camp because he says the form is normally not very good. DDs are at a different gym and it seems to be fine for them to go.

No formal restrictions on camps here - just requested to let your coach know. I'm sure if someone was 'overusing' them and the athlete's progress was suffering, then case by case the coach might steer the parents away from more...

It is an 'unwritten' (hopefully obvious) rule that one wouldn't go to a local competitor gym camp, though. And once you're in upper optionals, no one really goes to the Woodward/IGC type camps - but college camps are OK.

Sometimes these camps teach kids skills beyond their level and give the kids a false sense of confidence to achieve skills they are absolutely not ready for. This is a way to make sure kids keep coming back, so they get to learn new and harder skills, so the camp keeps getting money.

They don't nessesarily have the child's best interest at heart. The team coach is of course looking at the long term development of the child, as they want them to be able to stick to the sport and do well in years to come. The attitude of some camps can be reflective of the fact that they only have to worry about them for a week.

I would ask coaches opinion before signing DD up for anything. I actually did ask this year as one of her friends (different gym) wanted DD to go to (big college) camp with her. Coach said it would be fine for fun, but to not expect too much as those camps tended to be crowded etc, but that it would probably be fun and he didn't see much harm in it. In the end, DD ended up not going. HC did say that he would never encourage big camps like Woodward etc, he feels they are a complete waste of money. He recommended smaller camps instead.

FWIW, I have been in the ballet/dance world much longer than gymnastics (my older DD is a dancer) so it was already ingrained in me to ask for guidance when it comes to extra summer training opportunities. I wouldn't dream of NOT asking my kids coaches/teachers for their suggestions because they know my daughters better IN THEIR SPORT and know what would be a good fit and beneficial.mi do have complete trust in that both my daughters' coaches/teachers truly do care for them and have their best interest at heart so if something was discouraged or not recommended, I would take that to heart and assume they have good reasons.

Our gym doesn't have rules for camps...in fact, college camps are encouraged as the girls enter late middle school/upper level optionals!

Up until L7, my DD's attended IGC for 1-2 weeks. Our high school aged L9's and 10's attend college camps but we do have some 8's and 9's that still do IGC/Woodward.

No formal rule and my DD has attended Flip Fest camp the past 2 summers. She loves it. But I don't send her expecting her to gain skills. I love that she gets a camp experience and still has to condition every day. :)

I used to be a coach that frowned upon gymnastics camps. I thought they were a waste of money and time. Then I ended up with a daughter in gymnastics and she and her teammates have gone to gymnastics camp the past 4 years. It definitely changed my perspective. While she doesn't learn a ton of new skills, she has made friends and memories that she will always cherish. Definitely worth the money, and missing a few days of practice to attend has not hurt her progress in any way.

That's my thought too - She'll meet new people and gain a new perspective on the sport and still get to have lots of fun doing stuff other than gymnastics with people who love gymnastics too. She's going to have a blast :)

This for us too.

They do make exceptions for lower level compulsories sometimes but only with permission from the coach and no no no to igc or Woodward or overnight camps like that.

Regular overnight camp with no gymnastics is fine, but if you don't go during break week then, well, that's a choice, and at the optional level, a frowned upon one.
I was looking into Woodward for next summer. Just wondering why you say no igc or Woodward? We're new to the sport so I'm trying to get as much info as possible from those parents who know a lot more than me! Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back