rules for competing levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just wondering my daughter is repeating level 4 along with another teammate this year. She is happy with this for now, And I think this will give her more confidence but she trains with the level 5 and 6 and is doing more hours than the new level 4s. When she does the vault they do not do the level 4 vault they do the vault table they are also working on level 5and 6 skills but they still do the level4 routines. Being in the non comunicative gym that we are in when I asked what level she will be doing so I know what my meet fees will be I was told she will be doing level 4 for now. My daughter tells me they tell her she may have to move up to level 5. How does that work if she does level 4 for a couple of meets and qualify to states can they move her up to compete to level 5 and then when states comes does she go back to compete level4 at states since she already qualified, That seems kind of unfair for the less experienced level 4's. I am not sure of the rules.

Just wondering my daughter is repeating level 4 along with another teammate this year. She is happy with this for now, And I think this will give her more confidence but she trains with the level 5 and 6 and is doing more hours than the new level 4s. When she does the vault they do not do the level 4 vault they do the vault table they are also working on level 5and 6 skills but they still do the level4 routines. Being in the non comunicative gym that we are in when I asked what level she will be doing so I know what my meet fees will be I was told she will be doing level 4 for now. My daughter tells me they tell her she may have to move up to level 5. How does that work if she does level 4 for a couple of meets and qualify to states can they move her up to compete to level 5 and then when states comes does she go back to compete level4 at states since she already qualified, That seems kind of unfair for the less experienced level 4's. I am not sure of the rules.

While this may seem unfair, some coaches choose to have kids compete at different levels during the same season. There is no rule preventing it as long as the gymnast has the mandatory "move up" score...and this doesn't apply from Level 4 to 5, as there is no "move up" score from Level 4.

The safeguard against abusing this rule is a "drop-back date", where athletes must setttle in to a level before the qualifying meets begin. Each state has their own specifics, as each state has their own qualification procedures for the state meet

I don't know that it's any less fair than a Level 4 repeating Level 4. It's just part of the sport. What's important is that an athlete competes at a level in which they are comfortable, confident, safe and successful. Most coaches do not use the competitive season as a place to "try out" levels, but there are many different ways to run a team program, and they have the right to do it that way if they choose.

Ok, to take this one step further, should your dd move to L5 during the meet season and qualify for states at both L4 and L5, then she would go to the L5 state meet. My understanding is if a gymnast qualifies for 2 state meets, you compete the highest level.

The only downside to their possible plan(since you don't know for sure) is that if she does a couple of L5 meets and doesn't qualify to L5 states, then has to back down and practice the L4 routines to get ready for that state meet----could involve some extra practices/time.

I believe it may be different in different states. In Maryland, you must declare what level you are. When you compete at that level, you may qualify for states with the minimum score. If you compete up a level but don't declare, it counts for mobility but can not qualify you to states. Once you declare a higher level, you not suppose to drop back down without approval by state chairman or level rep (I think) regardless if you qualify for the high level states. Makes it a little more fair.

Ok, to take this one step further, should your dd move to L5 during the meet season and qualify for states at both L4 and L5, then she would go to the L5 state meet. My understanding is if a gymnast qualifies for 2 state meets, you compete the highest level.

me.

No, it doesn't work like that. It's declaration date like the other poster said. Every state has a declaration date and it's different state-by-state. In most states, it's 3-4 weeks prior to the state meet. On that date, you have to compete one level and one level only from then until the state meet or you cannot go to the state meet. Declaration date is different than a qualification date which is the date you must earn a score to qualify to the state meet.

An example:
Susie competes Level 5 on January 5, January 20 and January 30 and earns scores in excess of a 33.00 (state qualification in Susie's state is a 32.00). She's struggling with some skills, so her coach moves her back to Level 4 for a meet on February 4 in which she earns a 31.00 (state qualification is a 33.00). Susie's state declaration date is February 10. Between February 10 and the state meet, Susie cannot compete Level 5 or she will be disqualified from the state meet as a Level 4.

Continuing - n this same state - the deadline to earn your qualification score is February 28. Susie goes to another meet on February 22 and earns a 36.00. Susie can therefore enter the state meet as a Level 4.

In most states, the gym doesn't send in a formal declaration, but the point is that all levels are frozen from declaration date until the state meet, although you can do whatever you want prior to that date.

Optionals have some loose rules about not being able to compete too far back in levels if you have competed at a state/regionals at that level in the past. In particular situations, you have to petition to drop back a level. This generally comes up when a gymnast has taken significant time off or is coming back from a serious injury.

Elites also have unusual rules about dropping back to Level 10.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back