Sad for my younger DS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymCMLA

Proud Parent
ODD is level 7 WAG 12 yo), ODS was level 4, 6, 6, working 5,7,7 (10 yo)
YDS will be 7 tomorrow. He has done pre-team for 14 months. He got his letter today and he is not moving up to team, so no competing this season. We moved gyms 3 months ago. I think the old gym had told him he'd compete this coming year. THe little friend who is a year younger than him moved up. And the coach had us order his competition shirt for the "expo" in May...but alas, not going to compete. He is taking it well. He is disappointed, but no tears (he's pretty laid back) He did say "I got my backdrop pullover and fixed my roundoff, like they said I needed to". Poor guy. ODS competed at 6, ODD competed at 7. So I am sure in his little mind, this isn't quite right that he will be 8. Obviously, it is cheaper for me to have him wait another year, but I just feel sad with him.

Did they tell you why he isn't going to move up... Especially after having you buy the competition shirt for the expo, you deserve an answer, IMHO.

No reason. Just group email to all 7 preteam kids. 3 were preteam in spring, 4 were new this summer. Just asking if we're planning on continuing.
I hope the comp shirt fits in 18 months when he gets to use it:(

He did say "I got my backdrop pullover and fixed my roundoff, like they said I needed to". Poor guy

Oh, as a parent, moments like that break my heart. :( I also have a 7 year old.

Glad he is taking it well for now, though, and he will be utterly amazing when he does start the following season!! Work hard and you show 'em next season little guy!

So hard. It sounds like he has been working really hard to get to compete. Glad that he is taking it well...and he will rock it when he gets to team!

Any chance your gym would consider moving him to team since older brother is already there? Maybe not to compete but just to train with the team? I think a little of that happened at our gym-they invited both boys to team even though only ODS really had the skills (but YDS is totally unafraid of anything, which I think helped him out).

HC talked to me yesterday. Said he's kind of stuck in the middle. She's afraid he will be bored on preteam another whole year, but also afraid he'll get lost on team 1. It's a big group. Ages 6-11 and levels 3-7. ODS is the other side of the bubble as if not for his tumbling struggles he'd be up on team 2. So YDS was asked to do team 1 practice twice this week to "see where he fits better".

Hope he ends up in the best place and is happy with the decision. Sounds like a hard worker so hopefully he will fit into the team group.
He also sounds very mature and I'm sure could understand the choice and that if he did compete he might not do very well.

We are so very lucky with our HC. She had him try the older group and is going to let him try to compete. he will train in a hybrid schedule for a while b/c of baseball and then with the big kids. He's pretty happy. I think he is a pretty hard worker, so we will see. So appreciative of great coaches!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back