WAG SAFE stretches for back - afraid of injuries! Please help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lisiflex

Are there any stretches for the back and the shoulders, that are safe (after warm up!)?

I am very flexible, so is my back and shoulders, I can stick my head between my feet, but as I am already 21, I want to cut down on doing walkovers, especially the front ones, although they look sooo nice, but for safety reasons!

I was wondering if I could still stretch my back and shoulders without being prone to get injures?

And if so, are there any stretches that are "good" or even not too bad for the back?
What should I do/avoid doing when I stretch my bridge?

Some girls do it with straight feet and together, others look more like the letter "O" when doing a bridge - hope you know, what I mean!

I just don't want to lose the ability to do walkovers and I want my back to be a little more flexible to get a really good needle stretch - but I am super afraid of getting injured!!!

My coach says as I am so flexible, there is no problem for me doing walkovers.
But last week in open gym I did walkovers and front limbers, when another coach came over to me and told me to bei careful, I might severley hurt my back when doing them over and over again!!!

So do you have any tips how I could keep my flexibility in back and shoulders and maybe get a little more flexible (not a lot, just a little bit, to have the decent needle!) without provoking injuries?
So if I just stretch my shoulders and my back every day in training, but just do walkovers once a week or even once every other week, if that would help preventing injuries?

I hope someone can elp me!

To stretch my back I do what's called the cat stretch... You put your chin on the floor and arms next to your ears! Put your bum right up in the air and put the knees on the ground! Also my your arms on the coach and head before the coach an sit on your knees and push towards the ground... If you need pictures to explain these feel free to pm me! Good luck and stay safe Xx

If you already have a very flexible lower back you don't need to keep stretching it (I'm assuming you mean arching the back). Do your bridges with feet raised up to take the stretch out of the lower back, and you can use your feet to push the stretch into your shoulders (not too hard, obviously). I would also be looking at strengthening core muscles that support and stabilise the spine. Try not to place hands very close to feet on walkovers and limbers. Strengthen abs, hip flexors and quads to help you up out of FWO.

Whenever you do a move that involves an arching of the back, you also need to do a counter move to "put your back back in place" ... when our rec girls do bridge walks across the floor, at the end, they do "rock and rolls" where they tuck into a ball and rock back and forth... because the back is curved in the opposite direction from the arch, it helps a lot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back