Parents Safesport online training for parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Madden3

Proud Parent
Sorry if this has been posted about before, but I just wanted people to know that Safesport offers a free online “training” for parents. You do not access the free parent version at Safesport but rather here: https://athletesafety.org/training/index

I just did it, and while I think the sections on sexual abuse and grooming did not delve nearly deeply enough, and there were a few other areas where I found the info incomplete, I thought it was worth the maybe 20-30 minutes of my time. (You can stop and restart as you like.) Particularly interesting to me was the specifics about the role of Safesport. It also got me thinking about things I had not considered much before as a gym parent- like locker room safety and hazing.

It also got me thinking about things I had not considered much before as a gym parent- like locker room safety and hazing.
When we moved to our current location, we were given a locker room to use, but they had to leave the gym and cross a hallway. We required them to use the buddy system to even go to the locker room.
Once the wrestling team "stole" almost 1/2 of our space (the upstairs part of the gym), we found out that there was another locker room ... attached to the upstairs part of the gym! But it was a BOYS locker room ... grrr. They were in teh process of renovating the building to turn it into a school again and they knew we had a contract for SOLE USE of the gym. They could have changed out any urinals (or even turn the water off and cover them like we did at the child care I used to work at).
It would have been safer for the girls (and quicker).
At the old location, there were no locker rooms ... but there were two individual single person bathrooms with locking doors. If a group needed to use the bathroom, they used the buddy system then too - the public bathroom was down the hall near the only drinking fountain.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back