WAG SafeSport

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mamabear

Proud Parent
Anyone with experience in reporting? It looks like I have to give all my info, plus the witnesses info. Is all that then going to be relayed back to my gym? So they will of course know who made the report? It’s not a surprise per se because the situation was reported to both a head coach and an owner with nothing coming of that. But these girls have been verbally abused enough, I can imagine how bad it’ll be once they find out we reported to USAG. I understand giving USAG our info but they don’t offer bit of anonymity after that?

I don't know exactly how it works, but I recently looked into filing a verbal abuse report and was stopped by needing to name witnesses who, in our case, still go to the gym. I imagine it often works that way and parents don't proceed with filing a report. Before I left I spoke to someone who knew USGA had received twelve (yes, 12!!!) complaints against the gym, and that was over a year ago and nothing has changed with the gym. So, I take a dim view on USGA doing much about the complaints filed.

Yes, you have to submit all of that info. That’s why a lot of people choose not to report - fear of repercussions for those still at the gym in question.

I was also recently told about an athlete who left our former gym and who's parents plan to file a report about misconduct that includes inappropriate touching. But, despite the fact that their level 10 daughter has graduated and has a full athletic scholarship, are still afraid to file a report because they fear repercussions from the former gym. I think the system that has allowed abuse for so long in this sport is still in place.

I too take a dim view of USAG or any organization (NCAA, USOC etc) associated with the sport that claims to want to clean it up and make it safe....if you don't have a method for anonymous reporting, like happens with suspected child abuse cases, then you don't have a method for making the sport safe, period. When you have to fear repercussions from the gym/coach/school/governing body , then your sport will never have the kind of safety it needs.

I can see why the level 10s parents are reticent about reporting a gym with their name attached....the gym would call up the school she has the scholarship with and say she's a troublemaker and if they still could, the school may pull her scholarship or if they couldn't, the school could make the kid's life a living hell... and of course, never look at kids from the offending gym again....yeah, I'd keep my mouth shut too to protect my kid.

Anyone with experience in reporting? It looks like I have to give all my info, plus the witnesses info. Is all that then going to be relayed back to my gym? So they will of course know who made the report? It’s not a surprise per se because the situation was reported to both a head coach and an owner with nothing coming of that. But these girls have been verbally abused enough, I can imagine how bad it’ll be once they find out we reported to USAG. I understand giving USAG our info but they don’t offer bit of anonymity after that?
if you have already complained to the gym then it won't take much to figure it out. I would try talking to the gym one last time, since verbal abuse is not clear cut like sexual misconduct. sometimes it just takes that one last complaint for the gym to act. Obviously if you are planning on staying at this gym this would be your best route.

I too take a dim view of USAG or any organization (NCAA, USOC etc) associated with the sport that claims to want to clean it up and make it safe....if you don't have a method for anonymous reporting, like happens with suspected child abuse cases, then you don't have a method for making the sport safe, period. When you have to fear repercussions from the gym/coach/school/governing body , then your sport will never have the kind of safety it needs.

I can see why the level 10s parents are reticent about reporting a gym with their name attached....the gym would call up the school she has the scholarship with and say she's a troublemaker and if they still could, the school may pull her scholarship or if they couldn't, the school could make the kid's life a living hell... and of course, never look at kids from the offending gym again....yeah, I'd keep my mouth shut too to protect my kid.

Very true!!!!

if you have already complained to the gym then it won't take much to figure it out. I would try talking to the gym one last time, since verbal abuse is not clear cut like sexual misconduct. sometimes it just takes that one last complaint for the gym to act. Obviously if you are planning on staying at this gym this would be your best route.

Yes, I’m sure they would know. I hate to drag the witnesses into it though. It’s one thing for me, as the one reporting but it wouldn’t be fair to drag others into it if they’re not “protected” so to speak.

Thank you everyone for the responses!

Yes, I’m sure they would know. I hate to drag the witnesses into it though. It’s one thing for me, as the one reporting but it wouldn’t be fair to drag others into it if they’re not “protected” so to speak.

Couldn’t you still report with what you witnessed? I also wouldn’t feel comfortable stating that someone else was a witness to something unless they told me they were OK with me listing them. Then it would be up to the governing body to investigate and see if there are more witnesses.

Hmmm.... then U should definitely talk to the gym, because the same problem will arise with a safesport complaint . What type of verbal abuse is this ?

Is there a phone number to call the SafeSport “center” or whatever it is so you can talk to an actual person instead of just filing out paperwork - at a minimum to clarify/answer all of your questions.

Reactions: sce
"Predators thrive in silence. It is all too common for people to choose to not get involved. Whether you act or do nothing, you are shaping the world we live in, impacting others. All we needed was one adult to have the integrity to stand between us and Larry Nassar. If just one adult had listened, believed, and acted, the people standing before you on this stage would have never met him." --Aly Raisman

verbal abuse needs to be reported, with or without witnesses.
And for the parent who's reluctant to report inappropriate touching to safe sport, please tell them to call CPS anonymously.

It is not open season on coaches... If you are that unhappy and truly believe that your complaint is legit, then file a legit complaint with your name on it and details. I also do not believe Safesport can do anything without details, not to mention the judicial system.

Reactions: sce
I can't speak to SafeSport specifically, but here's some general advice for handling a situation in which you witness abuse, especially if it is of the nature that's ongoing rather than one outrageous outburst.

Bring a note pad or laptop with you and take careful notes. Use your eyes and your ears. As the bad stuff is happening, make note of the time, the location, the individuals involved, and others, including owners/head coaches within earshot. Write down as detailed a summary as you can. In summarizing, stick very strictly to description without commentary. Write down what you see and hear, not what you assume or extrapolate. I'll give a couple of examples to illustrate.

Right way
5:05 PM Group A vault (all girls present except Becca and Coach Arnie). Coach Eleanor was on the floor, but probably too far away to overhear what was happening.
Arnie instructed Anna to vault. She did a tucked Yurchenko into the pit. I directly overheard Arnie telling her the tuck was "trash" and that she needed to do a layout if he was not going to move her down to Group C.
Becca vaulted a pike into the pit. Arnie told her the vault was "****" and that she was "worthless."
Catherine vaulted a laid out Yurchenko. Arnie said nothing.
Deanna vaulted a laid out Yurchenko. When she got out of the pit, Arnie slapped her on the back of the thigh and told her to keep her legs straight next time. I observed a red mark on her left thigh as she proceeded down the vault track for her next turn.
. . . .
Rotation ended at 5:45 PM

Wrong way
I observed Arnie coaching vault. He was very sarcastic and mean to the girls in his group. He seemed constantly angry with them and berated them after every turn. He was so enraged at one girl that he hit her! If I had been in that rotation, I'd have been scared to death of him. The girls were obviously scared of him.

The more detailed and clearly observational you can make your report, the more likely it is to be taken seriously.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back