Parents Same old floor music for Beth

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

she wanted new music and a new routine for next year--level 8--and I wanted her to have it too--neither of us likes her old routine. She doesn't get into it and it just doesn't fit her. Her main floor coach wants her to keep the music. Why? Well she says it's so Beth can work on new skills without having to learn a new routine, but learning a new routine isn't a problem for Beth. My suspicion is that she's got too many girls with new routines and doesn't want another. The other girl that shared Beth's music last year (our level 7s share music--typical 2 or 3 girls have the same music--last year 3 girls had Beth's music--one quit for HS, one gets new music and Beth is stuck with keeping it) is getting new music and a new routine. Which stinks because she really showed off the song well (and scored high 9s--winning floor at State, etc.).

Oh well, I suppose we can live through another season of icky music. Her coach says that if Beth gets her skills down by August, she might reconsider, but I have little hope of that--once the coach makes up her mind about something, she never changes it!

On the up side, Beth has all her level 8 skills on beam now and is working level 9 skills :) and she's got her vault down (according to her vault coach). She'll be doing a Yurchenko (sp?). Still working on the top change on bars, but she said they hardly ever actually have time to DO that, so she doesn't have it yet. Still lots of time though LOL!

I'm sorry that the coach is not letting Beth get new music/routine. Not having to learn a new routine sounds like a poor excuse, most of our girls are taught routines within a week or 2 of having to compete it ....and they do fine. Our girls in the USAG optional levels do not share music either - what fits one may not fit another. Only our lowest USAIGC levels share - and even then, the music doesn't always work for all because of age/style/whatever.

Congrats to Beth on getting the new skills though!!

That is a tough one. I really think that at the optional level, the girls deserve to have some say in their music. Not free reign, but they should like their music and it should be something they enjoy going out there and doing their routine to. They work so hard to get to the optional level and get away from the compulsory music/routines. Could you talk with them about changing it? Explain to them that she really does not enjoy her music and that you think she could do better with music that fits her better?

Good luck. It would be different if ALL the level 7s moving to 8 were keeping the same music, but since that isn't the case, I would approach them about wanting a change.

That is a tough one. I really think that at the optional level, the girls deserve to have some say in their music. Not free reign, but they should like their music and it should be something they enjoy going out there and doing their routine to. They work so hard to get to the optional level and get away from the compulsory music/routines. Could you talk with them about changing it? Explain to them that she really does not enjoy her music and that you think she could do better with music that fits her better?

Good luck. It would be different if ALL the level 7s moving to 8 were keeping the same music, but since that isn't the case, I would approach them about wanting a change.

Yeah, I did--that got me the "well, if she gets her skills by August, she can maybe have new music." I took that (and responded that way) to mean that she CAN have new music LOL! We'll see how that goes. I honestly think the coach is just overwhelmed with others getting new music--for some reason the level 10s are all getting new routines & music. Not sure why Beth is singled out as having to stick with the old music! (well, her and one other old level 7--everyone else gets new music!)

There is nothing inherently wrong with re-using your old music. One of my daughter's best friends became really well-known as a great floor person because she was associated with her "Thriller" floor music and Michael Jackson inspired choreography.

Still, since you and your daughter apparently hate your current floor music and choreography, it is time for a change. There is no point in doing gymnastics if it isn't fun, or at least enjoyable.

Have you considered having someone else do the choreography?

I think i might do what pogo suggested. It's really hard to do well on floor when your dd doesn't like the music. Sounds lie her skills are coming along great though! Congratulations on that!

I think i might do what pogo suggested. It's really hard to do well on floor when your dd doesn't like the music. Sounds lie her skills are coming along great though! Congratulations on that!

Unfortunately our coach really wouldn't go for that. Beth's concentrating right now on getting her skills down.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back