Parents Sand dollar invite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kaloss

Proud Parent
We will be heading to Orlando this weekend for the Sand Dollar Invite. Has anyone been before? Suggestions for shuttle services to the meet? Everything is supposed to be set up through our hotel...but I'm nervous about how much time to leave in advance of open stretch. Suggestions, please! (Oh, and it will be just me, hauling 3 kids)

We will be heading to Orlando this weekend for the Sand Dollar Invite. Has anyone been before? Suggestions for shuttle services to the meet? Everything is supposed to be set up through our hotel...but I'm nervous about how much time to leave in advance of open stretch. Suggestions, please! (Oh, and it will be just me, hauling 3 kids)

We went last year, but didn't stay at any of the official hotels. We rented a car so we could travel as needed. It's super busy at the venue (well it was last year), so I'd make sure to get there pretty early. There were long lines for admission and registration.

Have fun! It was our first time in Florida and we liked it.

we will be at that meet too! I will be watching this thread for good info. We rented a house and will be driving into the meet site so it's great to know we need to leave plants of time for check in. Is parking bad?

Last year we went to the Magical classic, but with this being on Disney property and having to rely on shuttle services, I'm more nervous about timing for everything.

The parking was not horrible. Check-in was not efficient. We had to wait in two lines to check dd in. Many people were late. It was also very expensive to get in. That aside, it was a very fun meet and the medals were so cool!

we will be at that meet too! I will be watching this thread for good info. We rented a house and will be driving into the meet site so it's great to know we need to leave plants of time for check in. Is parking bad?

Parking was okay. I've been to worse, lol. It depends on the session/time of day. When we stayed to watch one of the final sessions one day there was a pretty long line to get out... And me never having driven there before and it was dark made for something interesting!

There is lots of parking but also lots of cars. Oh there were people directing traffic to park. I would go back in a heartbeat. We drove the hour and a half to spend one day at Siesta Keys, it was SO worth it. And I was disappointed that we didn't do a day at Disney, but we did Universal instead which was fun!

The buses are super easy...but the registration / check-in line was very long. Some were in line for over 40 minutes the last time we were there. Others only waited 5 minutes...just depends. I would plan on getting there 30 - 45 minutes before the floor opens.

One tip we learned is that you can go the night before and check your ds/dd in then, making meet day a bit less stressful. Of course, we did not do that, but our coach was there to handle that part of the process.
Ooh, the night before would be perfect. I'll have to see if that's an option for us. Dd competes on Friday, so I don't know if they will be ready to do check in on Thursday, as there are no sessions then.

I can't find it in writing but I am pretty sure the registration is opened all day on Thursday. You could also buy your admission tickets then. That will save a lot of time on Friday. We've been there for sunday sessions and by then everything is easy. Friday will be very crowded.

We've been a few times and stayed at All Star Sports. The shuttles are very reliable, and we've never had a problem. They come about every half hour (they go around to all the Disney hotels on a continuous loop), and it takes maybe about a half hour to get from the hotel to ESPN site. We've always been able to get on, but you do need to allow time in case you have to wait for the bus. When you get to ESPN, there is just a bit of a walk (maybe 100 yards) to the entrance from the parking lot, and quite a number of stairs, so do keep this in mind if you or your family has a harder time getting around.

I love the meet, and the medals are really fun!

Thank you for all of the feedback. I think I'm stressing because I will have my newly 3 year old with me, and she is a "free spirit" ;)

Thankfully dd doesn't compete early morning. How is seating?

We competed the very first session on Friday morning last year and we are able to do registration and purchase our tickets the evening before (Thursday). We had no lines for either one. I really recommend it.

We are Friday night this time so I am dreading having to do it on the day of. :)

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

I love the seating. It is stadium seating so you aren't as close to the gymnasts as you are at smaller meets but I found it to be enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

We went last year, stayed in All Star Sports. We had no problem getting there or getting checked in.

DD was in the last session on Sunday, and the shuttles by then were only running 1x per hour or 1.5 hours? We stood in a light rain for a really long time waiting for the shuttle. Make sure you know the shuttle times.

The seating is great. It is elevated though. The gyms are located on the main floor of a stadium and the spectators are on the next level in stadium seats. It is not too crowded at all but video is not the easiest.

Also be prepared for the entry fee. That surprised me last year. I should have known...it is Disney! $27 for a one day pass and $47 for the weekend pass. Kids are $12. The food is also expensive so we eat before or after.

Also be prepared for the entry fee. That surprised me last year. I should have known...it is Disney! $27 for a one day pass and $47 for the weekend pass. Kids are $12. The food is also expensive so we eat before or after.

And if you plan on doing any parks, that is just the tip of the iceberg. Still so fun though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back