Parents Scary moment for mom! (long, of course!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
Just thought I'd share what's been going on with my older DD...and just to be upfront, I am not asking for medical advice, we have been to TWO doctors!;)

DD is 9 and a level 5 gymmie. She's been complaining of knee pain on and off for a couple months. I think it is from the extra stress of the L5 vault...so different than L4. Anyway...2 weeks ago the pain started getting a lot worse, not helped by icing, ibuprofen, etc. So we took her to the pediatrician and then to a sports medicine doctor, because she had a 40 hr in gym camp last week and I wanted to make sure she'd be ok to go.

Dr. did xrays and examined her and said she has patellofemoral pain syndrome. He advised that she could go to gym but lay off any tumbling or vaulting that causes pain. He gave her a long list of exercises to do to strengthen the muscles around her knee. She has been so good about doing them every day and also about telling her coaches when she is in pain so she can stop doing that movement. I'm proud of her and she has seemed to be doing a little better.

Tonight at practice I was watching as she was doing some RO BHS BHS. She did one and it looked not so great (she struggles with form on this, and has for awhile). Coach corrected her and she came back for another pass. She did the first BHS and pretty much crumpled on the floor!:( She started crying, sobbing, and I am thinking the worst. The coach talks to her, hugs her, she is still sobbing and she walks off out of my view. About 10 min later she comes back red-faced and does a couple dive rolls and back extension rolls (no hard impact). She looks ok and is not limping but the whole thing really freaked me out. I had to take my other DD home and I am just worried sick about her thinking about how she was crumpled on the floor crying after two tumbling passes! I am ready to tell her she needs to take some time off gym and maybe quit because I cannot stand to see her like that.

She comes home (we carpool) and she runs in the door saying "guess what, guess what?" and proceeds to tell me about the awesome bar routine she did. I asked about floor routine and her knee, hugged her, and prepared to have a long talk with her...and she told me she landed her roundoff wrong, stepping hard on her FOOT which made her fall...and that was why she was crying! :rolleyes: I have never been so happy to hear that she smashed her foot in a landing!:eek: She said her knee bothered her a little, but when she went to vault later it didn't hurt at all!:)

Anyway, not sure what my point is here except to share. It is so hard when they have an "injury" that is not acute and that only shows up sometimes. And trying to decide how much to let them do and leave it up to them to decide when they are in pain and when to stop (or to tell the coach) Her doctor's note just says she can't do anything that causes her pain, that activities should be stopped or modified until she is pain-free. Kind of nebulous, if you ask me. Sigh. Anyone have experience with the patellofemoral pain syndrome thing?

Any healing thoughts are appreciated...it's all stressing me out!:eek: So hard when I can't be there every moment keeping an eye on her.

Oh your poor thing!!!

We went through the same thing when Bigger Bog was 9, she did all that you are doing and after about three months of consistant strengthening things improved vastly. However she did no tumbling or vaulting at all in that time (really sucked for her)

But you know she had so many of these kind of injures that her sports therapist has a photo of her on the office wall! You have done all the right things and you are keeping an eye on here. Good job!

Thanks for making it clear you are not here for advice!

Last edited:
i dont know anyone that has been through this, but as a mom, I know how hard it is to see your kids sick or in pain. I just wanted to say how sorry I am that your dd is hurting and that I hope she heals quickly and completely. hugs to her and you....keep us posted on her recovery.

I'm not familiar with that specific pain but I do know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you watch them fall and then get upset. It's so hard not to just panic because of the nature of the sport! I know whenever the gym calls my cell phone I practically have a nervous breakdown when I see that it is the gym calling, and its usually for just some little question about something...meanwhile my heart is thumping out of my chest :rolleyes: I hope she gets back to 100% soon, it sounds like she is on her way! Yea for her bars!

Anyway, not sure what my point is here except to share. It is so hard when they have an "injury" that is not acute and that only shows up sometimes. And trying to decide how much to let them do and leave it up to them to decide when they are in pain and when to stop (or to tell the coach) Her doctor's note just says she can't do anything that causes her pain, that activities should be stopped or modified until she is pain-free. Kind of nebulous, if you ask me. Sigh. Anyone have experience with the patellofemoral pain syndrome thing?

I kindof know how you feel...We don't have experience with patellofemoral pain syndrome but DD1 has been battling Sever's on and off for about 2 years. It bothers her sometimes, and it is unpredictable as to when and what will trigger pain. We have been given the same nebulous instructions..so I know what you mean. I hope your daughter's condition continues to improve.

I know how u feel that was how I figured out something was wrong with daughters wrists. Her doubleBHS looked like she could barely make it over fortunately she never fell but her floor scores were poor and they just looked bad. This finally prompted me to take her to a doctor she had bilateral stress fx of both wrists ended up with 1 in a cast and no tumbling for 2 months. At the time she was very angry and upset she got over it and healed. I remember saying to her coach maybe she should not be doing them thatofcourse they keep saying she was fine until we actually found out there was a problem. Listen to your insincts and always check it out with a doctor. I hope she gets better fast and you have a good season.

My daughter has the same thing. It really flairs up with front tumbling and vaulting. We went to Pt and they showed us the McConnell taping method. It basically supports her knee cap to keep it in the groove. We taped her knee for every practice and meet. Finally we ordered a custom brace to support her knee cap. She has been doing great and is pain free. Let me know if you want any more info.

My daughter has the same thing. It really flairs up with front tumbling and vaulting. We went to Pt and they showed us the McConnell taping method. It basically supports her knee cap to keep it in the groove. We taped her knee for every practice and meet. Finally we ordered a custom brace to support her knee cap. She has been doing great and is pain free. Let me know if you want any more info.

gymmom14, how were you able to find a PT who knew the McConnell method? I've read about it and would be willing to try it with her. The doc didn't suggest PT for her, but I would be more than willing to do it if I can get her poor knee feeling better quicker!:) The exercises have really helped alot so far, but I am still trying to learn more! Thanks! And glad to hear your DD is pain-free!:D

I am glad that she is okay. Knee pain is hard to deal with. My DD went through it all of last year. She ended up having to take 2 months off (from tumbling and vaulting)

I know how you feel. Not sure how old your gymmie is but mine started going through the same thing when she started L5 last fall and had a growth spurt. Orthopedist took an xray and said she was growning and it was probably that so she wore a brace which helped a little and saw a Physical therapist. In March she really irritated the patella tendon by doing a lot of vaulting. This led to a new xray that showed petella tendonitis and bursitis w/ bone spurs:eek: and a new diagnosis of Sinding Larsen-Johansson syndorm which is similar to Osgood Schlatters. That dr. told her to quit and when we got into the car she burst into tears :weepy:. Coach suggested go to a sports Dr. who told us she also has flat feet :confused: and had her stop for 1 month and when she came back it was no tumbling or vaulting just bars into the pit and some beam (no jumps) wearing a tendon strap. It was really painful but it is getting better now with icing and A LOT of STRETCHING exercises from the PT (who she sees 1x @week). I also am trying Oscon with her which is a vitamin supplement w/E and selenium. Never did I think she would have injury this early in the journey but there you have it and I still have days when I wonder if this is worth it. I trust her Pt who was also a gymnast and who is taking really good care of her knee and keeping a close eye on it. I know she would tell me if she thought it was time for her to stop this sport or causing damage to her knee. Wish your gymmie the best-- my advice is keep icing and stretching and if it hurts too much tell her to let the coach know and do some stretching :)

Gymmomof1 I totally hear you on the inury. When mine began with injuries at 9 years of age I was totally surprised. Her injuries continued throughout puberty and really have only just abated, now she has stopped gym as the injuries were just too much. Her body just wasn't built for gym, even though she had a ton of potential and picked skills up quickly. The number of those kind of injuries kept her out of full time training in the past five years than anything else. It was very hard on her to deal with, but she was tenacious and always worked hard as she wanted to do gym so much.

I still wonder if I should've made her stop, but as none of the issues were going to be an issue long term I let her choose, but never let her train with pain.

Not easy at all.

I think that every young gymnast has issues at some point with injuries like this. I don't know of a gymnast that doesn't go through it at some point. It's so hard when they are in pain to watch. I just don't look anymore since she became an optional L7 last year. Everytime she does a hard move my heart is in my throat and I think she is going to whack her head or break a bone.

Hope your DD recovers quickly.

gymmom14, how were you able to find a PT who knew the McConnell method? I've read about it and would be willing to try it with her. The doc didn't suggest PT for her, but I would be more than willing to do it if I can get her poor knee feeling better quicker!:) The exercises have really helped alot so far, but I am still trying to learn more! Thanks! And glad to hear your DD is pain-free!:D

Our PT has a lot of experience with the knee. You can order a McConnell taping kit online and there are youtube videos that show you how to do it. My dd actually started taping it by herself. She knew exactly when it felt right. We ordered the brace because the tape was hurting her skin. The brace is custom made to fit her leg (I can give you the company name if you need). It was not that expensive. It has velcro straps above and below the knee. The knee hole has a horseshoe buttress that keeps the knee cap supported in the grove. When it moves out of the groove, then there is pain. I also don't think the exercises helped too much. We tried to strengthen the muscles on the inside of her leg as they are weaker than the outside of her leg and that pulls the knee cap out of the groove. Try taping, its not hard and had great results! Good luck.

I think of you often Bogs since I read a lot of your posts on your bigger gymmie and it helps me so thanks :) Cher062, while waiting for my gymmie's practice to be over we watched the L10s vaulting and it was breath taking. The one girl was doing some twisting vault which she was sooo close to landing and then finally she stuck it and with the gymmies we all cheered. The one dad said its fun to watch the older girls but makes him nervous too as his DD goes up in levels.

I think of you often Bogs since I read a lot of your posts on your bigger gymmie and it helps me so thanks :) Cher062, while waiting for my gymmie's practice to be over we watched the L10s vaulting and it was breath taking. The one girl was doing some twisting vault which she was sooo close to landing and then finally she stuck it and with the gymmies we all cheered. The one dad said its fun to watch the older girls but makes him nervous too as his DD goes up in levels.

Oh I agree its great to watch the upper level girls but when my DD goes for it half the time I cover my eyes LOL. I do try to come early at pick up and get a peek for about 1/2 an hour but I don't hang out the whole 4 hours of practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back