WAG scholarships by the numbers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I did a little more research because I was getting confused, and please, any coaches who have more info , please correct me if I'm wrong.

D1 schools can give out a MAX of 12 athletic scholarships. This means that they cannot divide the money among more gymnasts (D2 schools can do this though). However, each school can decide if they are going give out all 12 and also how much will be in the scholarships. In other words, it may only be a partial scholarship, not a full ride. I'm not sure if they can give out different values of scholarships, but I would assume so.

I had assumed that all D1 schools gave out all 12 and that they were all full ride athletic scholarships, but that is not necessarily true. So my scholarship numbers and percentages are probably too high, but probably not by much, as I am still betting that the top 30 or so ranked gym programs are giving 12 full rides. And some of the ones who are not are likely coming close to full rides by adding in academic scholarships and grants.

How does an international student get noticed in the US? I would think she'd have to compete in major US meets.....!

The girls to which I was referring are high performance athletes, competing as national novices/juniors/seniors and end up competing all over the place. Yes, they may go to US meets, but also to Europe, Asia, etc.

So they get noticed, and I am sure, likely do all of the other things mentioned by others (like videos, websites, camps, surveys, calling.....)

I know of many gymnasts who have gotten full scholarships--two last year from our gym, one a few years previously here. Several from another local gym--I think partial gymnastics scholarships are MUCH less common.

If you go on USAG website, theres a place for college gymnastics. It has a list of how many schools in US have gymnastics programs. The list also breaks down the rankings of each school, D1, D2, D3. My dd nd I checked out alot of D1 schools. Most of them have teams of only 8-9 gymnast.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

If you go on USAG website, theres a place for college gymnastics. It has a list of how many schools in US have gymnastics programs. The list also breaks down the rankings of each school, D1, D2, D3. My dd nd I checked out alot of D1 schools. Most of them have teams of only 8-9 gymnast.
We are fortunate to live close two 2 D1 schools and go to many meets each year. Most of the schools we have seen have 12+ girls on their teams. They don't all compete at the meet and they are not all getting sports scholarships but they are definitely part of the team.

We saw only 8-9 girls on their websites. We have only 1 gymnastics college in state, but its in top ten:)

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Ok I just read replies so my point is moot. I was going with soccer scholarship knowledge. My son plays D1 soccer with a partial scholarship plus academic. We know kids on the team who have gotten scholarship money in years other than freshman. We were also told that can happen when we were looking.

Is gymnastics different?

Folks -

Please don't make assumptions and throw out information based on other NCAA sports. USAG has a page dedicated to collegiate gymnastics and it contains a lot of very good information about the process of getting a gymnastics scholarship and which schools offer scholarships. There is also information on the NCAA web site. This is an old thread and a lot of mis-information has been posted. Remember too that before any athletic scholarship can be offered, the athlete has to be academically qualified to get into the particular school; this can be more of a challenge at some of the tier 1 schools.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back