Parents School Performance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cogymmom2dd

Proud Parent
I just thought that I would share something that is quite comical about my DD’s and their grades they received in PE this past semester. They each got B’s in PE for the second quarter in a row.
The specific area that they both received this in was the ability to maintain healthy levels of activity and fitness, values physical activity for both heath and enjoyment..... They are at the gym for 16 and 12 hours a week, I feel like they value physical activity.
Both of my kids have joked that they are the fastest and strongest kids in their class when it comes to PE. I know for a fact that my DD1 has mentioned in the past that she doesn’t really put much effort forward in PE because she doesn’t want to be judged. She wore a sleeveless shirt to school once and she said she would never wear one again because too many people asked her if she lifted weights, so I can see if she slacks a little as to not draw attention to herself. I just find it kind of comical that both of them academically got all A’s in the subjects that actually matter such as math and science, but got B’s in PE when they are probably more physically fit than the teacher himself .
Im not going to be ‘that mom’ and complain, they are both in elementary school and don’t have a GPA to maintain, but still find it funny. I mentioned this to their homeroom teachers during conferences in the fall and they said the gym teacher is notorious for never giving A’s until last quarter because he feels like there is always room for improvement and giving an A would imply there is nothing to improve on for the rest of the school year .

My daughter has a dancer in her gym class at school and the pe teacher is always saying how she’s the most athletic kid in the class by far. My daughter and I just laugh about it at home. She doesn’t care like yours I don’t think she puts much effort in pe class.

My kiddo is in a private school right now and they have P for progressing, M for meets expectations and E for exceeding expectations. My kid has E in every subject and every subject area except PE where she is apparently just meeting expectations - this semester they worked on flexibility and endurance and apparently there’s room for improvement.

Just...whatever? It’s stupid. My kid is probably not putting in full effort into dodge ball and whatever “fun noodle” is

That’s crazy, how does a PE teacher grade them on their ability to maintain healthy levels of fitness and activity and their value of physical activity. How would they know which kids spend 20 hours a week playing and which kids spend 20 hours playing video games. So subjective and pointless.

That’s crazy, how does a PE teacher grade them on their ability to maintain healthy levels of fitness and activity and their value of physical activity. How would they know which kids spend 20 hours a week playing and which kids spend 20 hours playing video games. So subjective and pointless.
A good teacher will know because they talk to their students.

We had that a few years ago in elementary School. Daughter always just got a P never an exceeds expectations. I heard that specific PE teacher never gave EE to students. They also didnt do much in general and have since been let go....so there's that. For elementary school I find it amusing but if they get in middle/high school and there is some arbitrary everyone can always improve so I dont give out As mentality I would be complaining.

My daughter hasn't had to do "PE" as a class yet in the middle school level, but several of her teammates have been told to stop doing push ups or not climb the rope so high because it "makes the boys feel bad." It boggles my mind. One of the things our kids have to do in PE is called the Pacer. Its running sprints basically to music and they get "credit" for how many they can do. One of my daughter's teammates was told to stop after 37 sprints because there were just 2 other kids left (both boys) and they were too tired to finish, but she could keep going. She wanted to see how many she could get and the teacher said no. Another teammate was doing push ups and she was able to keep pace with all the boys on the 8th grade football team. They wore out, she didn't. Again, she was told to stop. I have already told my DD that if she can keep going she does and if the teacher makes a scene out of it, I will take it up with the admin (I work at the same school, so I have zero issue doing that). I do think that sometimes kids don't want to stand out, but when they can and are willing too they shouldn't be told no. They work too hard to earn this strength!

Wow! That is crazy! Surely it has been at least 50 years, since our thinking has evolved past that! I am really shocked to hear it.

Sadly, I’m not shocked at all. I’d be mad at the gym teacher but not at all shocked.

My daughter hasn't had to do "PE" as a class yet in the middle school level, but several of her teammates have been told to stop doing push ups or not climb the rope so high because it "makes the boys feel bad." It boggles my mind. One of the things our kids have to do in PE is called the Pacer. Its running sprints basically to music and they get "credit" for how many they can do. One of my daughter's teammates was told to stop after 37 sprints because there were just 2 other kids left (both boys) and they were too tired to finish, but she could keep going. She wanted to see how many she could get and the teacher said no. Another teammate was doing push ups and she was able to keep pace with all the boys on the 8th grade football team. They wore out, she didn't. Again, she was told to stop. I have already told my DD that if she can keep going she does and if the teacher makes a scene out of it, I will take it up with the admin (I work at the same school, so I have zero issue doing that). I do think that sometimes kids don't want to stand out, but when they can and are willing too they shouldn't be told no. They work too hard to earn this strength!
That is crazy! My 4th grader beats all the boys on the presidential fitness test. She doubles their pull-ups and usually finishes first on the pacers. Gym teacher loves it! I would be livid if anything was said to “limit” her.

Hellllllllllll nooooooooo. My kid lives for outdoing the boys at school. I would be beyond mad if some teacher told her to stop, because I bet if they beat her no one would tell them to stop making HER feel bad. Nope, no way, no how. If you can’t do 50 push ups, that’s your problem.

My daughter hasn't had to do "PE" as a class yet in the middle school level, but several of her teammates have been told to stop doing push ups or not climb the rope so high because it "makes the boys feel bad."

This would be the quickest way to get my momma bear hackles up!! I would be at the school in a heartbeat!! If the boys at the school can't deal with a girl being better than them they are going to have lots of issues in the real world where they will have to interact with many women who will be better at them in something or another. Also I think most of the time the boys don't even care it was the football players that cheered my on the hardest when I kicked their butts in pull ups every year. Its adults antiquated ideas of what girls and boys should be good at thats the issue.

In high school I had the football coach as my PE teacher and he always did subtly sexist crap that as a 13 year old girl I was hyper aware of. Like if I happen to say Sh** I needed to sit out and think about what I said but if a boy dropped an F bomb he would just say watch your language and let them keep participating. So I made a shirt in my screenprinting class that said if Gymnastics was Easy they'd call it Football and I wore it every day to PE. I'm pretty sure by the end of the year I was not his favorite student, but I still got an A in PE so at least he didnt take it out on me in that way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back